U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-25-2011, 04:42 PM

1,688 posts, read 2,180,961 times
I could possibly see a bit of a drop due to domestic flights being higher than previous years. I talked to my sister who lives in Indiana to see if she was coming out this summer and she replied that it was going to be difficult due to the high cost of flights.

However, the ones that are coming to town are spending because my clients are being cleaned out of product and I am as busy as I have ever been in the business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-25-2011, 06:39 PM

3,238 posts, read 1,512,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
I wouldn't take the story too seriously. It's based upon a survey by Expedia. Surveys are suspect at any level. More problematic, in my opinion, would be the expansion of Macau and Singapore as major competitors to Las Vegas and already overtaking Las Vegas in revenues in just a short time.
That's ridiculous. Airfare to Macau and Singapore is cost prohibitive to the masses

Unread 05-25-2011, 06:43 PM

3,296 posts, read 3,346,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Since paying the bills and the rent/mortgage are of significantly more importance than taking a pricey vacation, I don't see this as surprising. If everyone paid more attention to priorities than self indulgence on money they don't have or can't afford to blow, we'd all be better off. I think "giving up vacation days" is a little bit of a euphemism. How about "I can't afford to go anywhere this year"? And I live in another prime vacation spot, too.
What small brain thinking. People need to take care of their priorities and choose vacations wisely, but I'd never want an employee with the mindset of I can't take any time off this year. People who only focus on paying bills make for poor employees who burnout and turn into attitude problems. Even a staycation is worlds better than just saying I can't afford it or worrying that my boss would fire me for daring to take at least a few days off.

Unread 05-25-2011, 07:23 PM

905 posts, read 653,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
What small brain thinking. People need to take care of their priorities and choose vacations wisely, but I'd never want an employee with the mindset of I can't take any time off this year. People who only focus on paying bills make for poor employees who burnout and turn into attitude problems. Even a staycation is worlds better than just saying I can't afford it or worrying that my boss would fire me for daring to take at least a few days off.
That was kind of the point I was trying to make.

Unread 05-25-2011, 09:14 PM

10,465 posts, read 7,918,124 times
Many Americans just don't get it, and never will: Vacations are a necessity, not a luxury!

There have been times I didn't even feel like taking a vacation, and I forced myself out the door and onto a plane, because I knew, in the end, it was going to be good medicine for me.

Don't feel like going thru the hassles of traveling, have someone hold a pitchfork to your rear end, and go!

Last edited by tijlover; 05-25-2011 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: edit

Unread 05-25-2011, 09:42 PM

2,840 posts, read 1,253,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Secondly, and maybe more important, this cannot be a healthy attitude. While I firmly believe in being a professional, dedicated employee and earning your pay, vacation is also an important and integral part of a job. Recharging one's batteries, getting some distance and perspective from the job, family time, and R&R only make for a better and more efficient employee.
I truly believe this is a symptom of the business and profit centered path we are tumbling down as a country.

Thoughts?????
The higher ups at our company talk about the importance of taking vacations to recharge, "balance work/life" and be a better employee...and then set impossible project goals with understaffed teams so people feel pressured not to take vacations. In fact we recently had several people have to cancel vacation plans to finish a project on a specific date.

I think you're right, it's not a healthy attitude and people really do need to take a real break from work every once in a while, that includes leaving the work Blackberry or cell phone at work and actually getting away from the job.

Unread 05-26-2011, 12:22 AM

1,342 posts, read 994,584 times
Those who control the means of production will always seek to exploit labor. This is a matter of science; not the realm of opinion.

That being said there is something magically romantic about going to Vegas that still captures the worlds imagination. Nothing will stop it and will only make it bigger. People will always come to Vegas.

Don't talk about volume, if we had the volume we have today 20 years ago we'd all be dancing in the streets. Economy is not bad because people stopped wanting to go to Vegas. It went bad because a few puppeteers made some bad business moves.

Vegas is not only still alive and kicking but also still growing and destined to be an even bigger tourist destination in the future.

Unread 05-26-2011, 07:00 AM

905 posts, read 653,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Many Americans just don't get it, and never will: Vacations are a necessity, not a luxury!

There have been times I didn't even feel like taking a vacation, and I forced myself out the door and onto a plane, because I knew, in the end, it was going to be good medicine for me.

Don't feel like going thru the hassles of traveling, have someone hold a pitchfork to your rear end, and go!
And what better place to disconnect from reality than Las Vegas!!!

tijlover, you may be on to something there:

America can learn from Europe on work-life balance - CNN.com

Unread 05-26-2011, 10:14 AM

2,509 posts, read 5,056,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Hang on while I wrap my small little brain around this.............

I never said people should not take vacations. I said people should live within their means and that many are not taking long-distance expensive vacations (i.e. "i can't afford to go anywhere"). A few days off now and then from work no matter where you go is refreshing, agreed.

Unread 05-26-2011, 10:55 AM

3,731 posts, read 5,246,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
I could possibly see a bit of a drop due to domestic flights being higher than previous years. I talked to my sister who lives in Indiana to see if she was coming out this summer and she replied that it was going to be difficult due to the high cost of flights.

However, the ones that are coming to town are spending because my clients are being cleaned out of product and I am as busy as I have ever been in the business.
Not necessarily on the airfare issue Golf...visitor counts based on McCarran traffic picked up in April, not as good as during the boom year but still good...and why your numbers are up..keep up the good work!

The gradual recovery this year of traffic at McCarran International Airport continued during April.
The 3.46 million passengers that passed through the airport last month marked a 2.3 percent gain from one year ago
The increase came even as airlines have raised their fares several times since January to offset a sharp rise in fuel prices.

McCarran passenger numbers show modest gains - Business - ReviewJournal.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas