Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:48 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,126 times

Advertisements

Saw this article on CNN:

Americans give up $67 billion worth of vacation days in 2010 - May. 25, 2011

First of all, this cannot be good for a city like Las Vegas as a prime vacation spot.

Secondly, and maybe more important, this cannot be a healthy attitude. While I firmly believe in being a professional, dedicated employee and earning your pay, vacation is also an important and integral part of a job. Recharging one's batteries, getting some distance and perspective from the job, family time, and R&R only make for a better and more efficient employee.
I truly believe this is a symptom of the business and profit centered path we are tumbling down as a country.

Thoughts?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 09:57 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,473,542 times
They still take vacations, only less days, like the article said, so how would that impact Las Vegas in any noticeable way?

The average employed American worker got 18 vacation days last year, but only used 14 of those desirable days off, according to a 2010 survey by Expedia.com.

The Strip is packed, especially on long weekends like this one coming up. I would say this doesn't apply to LV at all because most folks always take the time to have their "Vegas Vacation"

Last edited by MomMom; 05-25-2011 at 10:06 AM..

Old 05-25-2011, 10:04 AM

687 posts, read 1,945,015 times
I wouldn't take the story too seriously. It's based upon a survey by Expedia. Surveys are suspect at any level. More problematic, in my opinion, would be the expansion of Macau and Singapore as major competitors to Las Vegas and already overtaking Las Vegas in revenues in just a short time.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:07 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
Since paying the bills and the rent/mortgage are of significantly more importance than taking a pricey vacation, I don't see this as surprising. If everyone paid more attention to priorities than self indulgence on money they don't have or can't afford to blow, we'd all be better off. I think "giving up vacation days" is a little bit of a euphemism. How about "I can't afford to go anywhere this year"? And I live in another prime vacation spot, too.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 AM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,863,653 times
The story is about how hard Americans work compared to lazy Europeans with worse economies than ours. Back in the 80's and 90's the stories were always about how we compared with the Japanese, who took even fewer vacations than we do. We used to be concerned with how hard we worked and how productive we are in trying to compete with Japan to stay #1, now it seems it is about how lazy and coddled with entitlements we can get? Gimme a break, the US culture really hasn't changed in 20 years, we're just comparing ourselves to a different standard in this story.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk View Post
The story is about how hard Americans work compared to lazy Europeans with worse economies than ours. Back in the 80's and 90's the stories were always about how we compared with the Japanese, who took even fewer vacations than we do. We used to be concerned with how hard we worked and how productive we are in trying to compete with Japan to stay #1, now it seems it is about how lazy and coddled with entitlements we can get? Gimme a break, the US culture really hasn't changed in 20 years, we're just comparing ourselves to a different standard in this story.
[SIZE=6][/SIZE]
Pretty presumptuous statement considering:

[LEFT]STANDARD OF LIVING WORLD STATS, the revealing measurement[/LEFT]

The U.S. ranks 4th in GDP, yet it is 92nd in distribution of wealth—UN measurement. In other words the top 5% live the best of all nations, and the bottom 25% live worse than in countries such as Greece. This disparity explains why the U.S. with the most expensive medical system is counted as 37th as to quality of care by the World Health Organization.
(Sorry can't change font formatting)

Also, our culture may not have changed but the wealth distribution has DEFINITELY changed.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
They still take vacations, only less days, like the article said, so how would that impact Las Vegas in any noticeable way?

The average employed American worker got 18 vacation days last year, but only used 14 of those desirable days off, according to a 2010 survey by Expedia.com.

The Strip is packed, especially on long weekends like this one coming up. I would say this doesn't apply to LV at all because most folks always take the time to have their "Vegas Vacation"
Don't get me wrong, this is not a Gloom and Doom post. My observation was just that the situation limits growth in the vacation industry. At this time every percentage point matters and it would have been nice to see people having the time and money to splurge a little extra on old LV.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Don't get me wrong, this is not a Gloom and Doom post. My observation was just that the situation limits growth in the vacation industry. At this time every percentage point matters and it would have been nice to see people having the time and money to splurge a little extra on old LV.
That's OK quixotic...the average tourista stay in LV is 4 days/3 nights...even during the boom years, so we're still doing OK.

Coming to town for the long weekend?

Old 05-25-2011, 04:10 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
doesn't matter.. the amount of foreign visitors from last year is definitely higher than recent years

Old 05-25-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
doesn't matter.. the amount of foreign visitors from last year is definitely higher than recent years
Yes, especially the Asian folk. Also, Canadians, English, Germans and lately quite a few Aussie people is what I've encountered in increasing numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas