Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,503 times

Advertisements

I want to sign up for the 3MB speed century link internet service. For those with experience with it... how well does it work. Can you watch videos like on youtube without it constantly stopping/buffering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 02:56 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Can't you still get 10Mbit/sec Pure DSL service from them for $30/month?

You can of course watch YouTube videos on the 3Mb/s service as YouTube videos are encoded and available in multiple resolutions, the lowest of which are encoded at very modest bitrates, easily streamable over a low speed connection. I mean, how do you think people watch YouTube videos on a 3G mobile phone? A more intelligent question would have been "What is the highest resolution YouTube video I can expect to stream reliably on CenturyLink's 3Mb/s DSL service?" 3Mb/s minus ATM and TCP/IP overhead is sufficient to stream 480p YouTube videos but marginal for 720p.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:40 PM

412 posts, read 915,809 times
YouTube also has some congestion problems on their end at times. I have had slow, stuttering YouTube playback on a fast connection when there was no streaming or download problems at other sites at the time. The fastest Internet connection possible at your computer will not guarantee problem free YouTube playback.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Can't you still get 10Mbit/sec Pure DSL service from them for $30/month?

You can of course watch YouTube videos on the 3Mb/s service as YouTube videos are encoded and available in multiple resolutions, the lowest of which are encoded at very modest bitrates, easily streamable over a low speed connection. I mean, how do you think people watch YouTube videos on a 3G mobile phone? A more intelligent question would have been "What is the highest resolution YouTube video I can expect to stream reliably on CenturyLink's 3Mb/s DSL service?" 3Mb/s minus ATM and TCP/IP overhead is sufficient to stream 480p YouTube videos but marginal for 720p.
It is $50 unless you bundle

Old 05-27-2011, 11:19 PM

65 posts, read 324,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
It is $50 unless you bundle
Just got it in late March, but first time I called they said only 1.5 mbps for $30, second time when I ordered they said 10. On the bill it says $60 with $30 discount.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:02 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
I just lost my promotional pricing of $30/month for 10Mbit DSL from CenturyLink. The new promotional price (with 1 year commitment) is $40/month, which is a $20/month discount. I renewed, because my Cox internet service is too unreliable to use as my primary internet connection, even though it is significantly faster. I have a VPN connection to the office up 12 hours a day with a Cisco IP phone, as well as a Vonage home phone, so it is very obvious when there is an outage, no matter how brief. With Cox I experience many more brief outages compared to CenturyLink, though most people probably wouldn't even notice.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:10 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I just lost my promotional pricing of $30/month for 10Mbit DSL from CenturyLink. The new promotional price (with 1 year commitment) is $40/month, which is a $20/month discount. I renewed, because my Cox internet service is too unreliable to use as my primary internet connection, even though it is significantly faster. I have a VPN connection to the office up 12 hours a day with a Cisco IP phone, as well as a Vonage home phone, so it is very obvious when there is an outage, no matter how brief. With Cox I experience many more brief outages compared to CenturyLink, though most people probably wouldn't even notice.
Do you have Centurylink's Prism TV service as well? If so, can you provide some feedback? Prism isn't available in my area yet, but is supposed to be here "soon". It looks like a promising alternative to Cox.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:45 PM

i just switched from Cox also this week.. 10mbps $19.95 with the unlimited calling plan $44.95.. minus a $5 discount for Directv = 54.90 Guaranteed price for 5 years.. no commitment from me... Yes it's a bit slower than Cox but the reliability of Cox is internet was marginal at best .. especially around 6pm.... I had the Cox 10mbps and phone.. was running me 90 a month.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:55 AM

39 posts, read 105,426 times
We just had century link sale ppl knocked on our door tonight. Try to sale me a package of prism tv, 10 mbp internet and unlimited call plan for $109 plus tax.(cox $125 plus tax ) I was gonna switch from cox to century link two weeks ago. But their priceing about the same with cox but you get 10 mbp instead of 13 mbp from cox. And land line is better nationalwide(unlimited). But then they told me there is a activation fee for phone line and internet $60. Then i told them no thanks. They offered me $150 gift card after three months .I asked about prism tv they said not as good as hd but close.
I might switch in Nov when price change again after 6 months(cox). Keep that in mind cox price only good for 6 months .You have to call and ask for any special again.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laso View Post
We just had century link sale ppl knocked on our door tonight. Try to sale me a package of prism tv, 10 mbp internet and unlimited call plan for $109 plus tax.(cox $125 plus tax ) I was gonna switch from cox to century link two weeks ago. But their priceing about the same with cox but you get 10 mbp instead of 13 mbp from cox. And land line is better nationalwide(unlimited). But then they told me there is a activation fee for phone line and internet $60. Then i told them no thanks. They offered me $150 gift card after three months .I asked about prism tv they said not as good as hd but close.
I might switch in Nov when price change again after 6 months(cox). Keep that in mind cox price only good for 6 months .You have to call and ask for any special again.
No activation fees for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas