U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-29-2011, 04:46 PM

5,441 posts, read 7,025,856 times

Advertisements

I know I am going to get a lot of heat from you guys about this.

I am seriously considering in claiming partial unemployment. The hours work is giving me just arent enough and Ive had no luck in attaining a second job

Anybody know how the UE process works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 05:55 PM

11,495 posts, read 20,168,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I know I am going to get a lot of heat from you guys about this.

I am seriously considering in claiming partial unemployment. The hours work is giving me just aren't enough and Ive had no luck in attaining a second job

Anybody know how the UE process works?
I don't know why you would think anyone would give you heat for claiming something you earned. I also don't know why you didn't just DM me if you are worried about what people think. But only those ignorant of how UI, (not UE) works would give you a hard time.

UI is the abbreviation for Unemployment INSURANCE. It is not charity, and it doesn't cost the average tax payer a dime. It is based on payroll taxes and it is Federally funded through the various states. The states make their own laws about it based on strict Federal guidelines. But, you earn it as a regular benefit just like health insurance or vacation time, while you are being productive and earning wages. It is intended as a stipend to help you find full time work in case you are ever unemployed or underemployed through no fault of your own.

Anyway, you MIGHT be able to collect partial benefits if your hours have been cut to where you are working less than the majority of the week, and making less than your monetary eligibility would pay on full unemployment (UI). Since we don't know what you would be eligible for if completely laid off, lets take the maximum that is now being paid in Nevada. I think it's $393 a week. So if you are making less than that (or whatever your own benefit would amount to), you can apply for benefits if you are not working everyday, and if you are looking for full time work.

Lets say I remember how to do this as it has been a while ...and say you are making $200 a week on your job. Your partial benefit would be $200 x .75% = $150. If monetarily eligible for it, your UI benefit would be $393 - $150 = $243. I think I did that right, but somebody currently working in UI Claims can tell you. Your job earnings probably vary every week I'd guess anyway.

I forget when you arrived in Nevada, but I suspect that you would be filing a Combined Wage Claim (CWC) based on wages earned in Florida plus wages earned in Nevada, so be sure to tell them you might have had wages in Florida during the BASE PERIOD. Have them work it out for you two ways. See if you have enough wages in Florida for a Florida Interstate Claim, which it might be to your advantage to file first, then when that runs out, use your Nevada wages for a Nevada claim. Don't be a pr*ck, but don't let them get lazy either, and not look at it from all angles to find which is most advantageous to you. Some Claims Examiners, either from inexperience, or laziness, will not bother unless you ask, even though most of them are always glad to help you get whatever benefits you have earned.

But I'm guessing that by now it would be a straight Nevada claim, or a Combined Wage Claim, and not a straight Florida Interstate claim.

This always confuses people, but your claim is based on earnings from the first four of the last five quarters. To make that simple for you, right now, until change of quarter on June 24, they would base the amount you could get on what you earned from first full week of January last year, until first full week of January this year (e.g. end of December last year). If you were still working in FL part of that time, it's a CWC. If you only worked here in Nevada it's a straight Nevada claim. If you do have money in Florida, use it. Don't waste it. It's no trouble for them to find out.

Anyway, not that it matters much, if you don't file until after June 24, it would then be based on earnings from first full week of April last year until last week of March this year. I am not looking at a Claims Calendar since I don't have one, I'm seeing it in my head, but I'm 99.99% sure I got it right.

FYI, Las Vegas is like a factory town where people are frequently on temporary lay offs, and when that happens they collect some of their benefits to tide them over. In Las Vegas, nearly all convention and banquet workers are temps and file new UI claims every year as the old one expires (you have up to 1 yr to collect all the benefits), even though most never collect all of last year's benefits (if fully unemployed the claim would only last 6 mths). They are all on partial unemployment part of the time.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:06 PM

9,527 posts, read 14,820,855 times
i dont know about that.. my wife did teaching and walmart last year.. lost the teaching job.. walmart 10-20hrs.... applied for u.i... they approved her for 130.. then a week later, it was opps 78... then they demanded the 78. back.... total payment 0

Old 05-29-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i don't know about that.. my wife did teaching and Walmart last year.. lost the teaching job.. Walmart 10-20hrs.... applied for u.i... they approved her for 130.. then a week later, it was oops 78... then they demanded the 78. back.... total payment 0
There is a lot more to it than what you are telling us. It's never that simple. UI is very complex sometimes. But if that was the case it would ONLY be because they were not given correct information in the first place, or she was not following the rules and not able for, available for, and actively seeking, full time work; or she was actually earning more than she was putting on her weekly claim form; or the reason she was unemployed wasn't really "no fault of her own".

UI for teachers is different anyway. They are not unemployed when school is only out for the summer. Situations with teachers are almost always complicated. But ESD only takes back money that was not owed in the first place. If you don't report earnings correctly, or don't follow the rules to the letter, they will eventually audit the claim and find out.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:30 PM

she was a preschool teacher.. both jobs were part time... and no there isn't more than i am telling you and it was really no fault of her own.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
she was a preschool teacher.. both jobs were part time... and no there isn't more than i am telling you and it was really no fault of her own.
Okey dokey, if you say so. There's always a first. But are you saying they just din't like her, or are you saying Carson City made a mistake? In almost 14 years with the state I did see Carson City make a mistake on overpayment one time. And I've seen them underpay where they had to cut 26 - $1 checks to the same guy. But mistakes like that are so few you can just about say they never happen.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:37 PM

also we did not fight it.. she was employed a few weeks later....

ps Davie, with no hours, i would rethink your move down to a 1br if you are going to do it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas