Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 04:14 PM

154 posts, read 356,551 times

Advertisements

I am interested in the "cage enclosure" you referred to for the a/c units. To whom did you go for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 04:28 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,765,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I am being a bit negative simply because I do not see the affair the same way you do.

One thing about investor RE is that it is very hard, if not impossible, to get your money out clean in the short term. As you will swiftly find out without an agent and even with one to a lesser extent you are going to attract nobody but bottom fishers to your for sale property. Take one look at the tax sheet and you are going to get offers starting 10% or more below what you paid. And that is after you put in money and effort to fix it up. YOu simply get no exposure to the first time buyer who might go for a flip...but even there the appraiser is going to come through and evaluate your place at 5 or 10% below what you paid.

It is pretty close to financial suicide. You rent the place out for a couple of years and then doll it up and get rid of it. Not with a hot record of recent purchase and likely off a short or foreclosure.

I try to do a final walkthrough of every house where I represent the buyer at the last instant...just for fear of it being stripped. I lost one a month ago on a stripping.

And be careful with your deal with the handyman. If you are paying him anything it is unlawful. He can do it for free but no other way. I actually check on a couple of places for snowbirds who are friends of mine. But I take no money because I do not have a property manager permit.
Cap, we got a couple on the Phoenix forum, who closed in Mid April, and couldn't come out until the middle of may. It looks like 140,000 gallons of water disappeared. Their home inspector verified no leaks.

A house sitting there, between owners is very vulnerable. The guy before me actually stole the gravel from the driveway. If you don't want to be hands on, stay with stocks, but you won't have a place to sleep, when/if they go to zero.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:35 PM

14 posts, read 15,212 times
Olecapt, I hear you. And I value your advise. I will take your feedback into consideration. Thank you indeed for all.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:36 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,127,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyygirl View Post
I am interested in the "cage enclosure" you referred to for the a/c units. To whom did you go for that?
google

AC cage enclosures

Many of the local fence guys will build them I believe. They are actually very rare in Las Vegas. The only ones I have seen were industrial.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Cap, we got a couple on the Phoenix forum, who closed in Mid April, and couldn't come out until the middle of may. It looks like 140,000 gallons of water disappeared. Their home inspector verified no leaks.

A house sitting there, between owners is very vulnerable. The guy before me actually stole the gravel from the driveway. If you don't want to be hands on, stay with stocks, but you won't have a place to sleep, when/if they go to zero.
That's exactly what I think about when I say "two is enough for us"... the less you own, the less of a chance of going through all the bad stuff!!

Old 05-30-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyygirl View Post
My husband designed them and had them custom built by his blacksmith locally here. He personally installed them right before the new A/C condensers were installed. We didn't want to take any chances and he was standing right there to see the A/C units locked inside as soon as they were connected!!

Old 05-30-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Nah nobody steals water...or at least not 140,000 gallons. The only way to lose 140,000 gallons is an underslab leak. The normal way in which they are caught is the water companines calls you up to tell you that you have the problem.

Now somebody with their water cut off might run a hose across. But that is a few hundred gallons a day. I doubt you can transfer 3,000 gallons a day through a garden hose.

Until there is a resale market for water I don't think it is going to be a large theft target.

And as to the gravel...maybe if you have a use for it but no real resale value...so rarely a theft problem.

We did look at the one fancy house I think I wrote about here where they actually removed all the granite counter tops and tried to remove finishing rock decor. But that looked pretty clearly malicious not money driven.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:03 PM

Would if the neighbors filled their pools with a garden hose? 5 gpm would be 7200 per day, and that's about where they were at.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Would if the neighbors filled their pools with a garden hose? 5 gpm would be 7200 per day, and that's about where they were at.
Reasonable pools are 20,000 gallons or less. So you need 7 or more pools. Geting 5 gpm through a 50 foot garden house is unlikely. More like 3. And then you need all those pools in close. Get to 150 foot runs and you will have trouble getting 1 gallon a minute.

So you need a neighborhood with 7 or more pools all in close all needing refilling and alll willing to commit a public crime. Then you need heavy duty hose...it ain't gonna work with the regular stuff...and the organization to carry this off and nobody squeals to the new neighbor.

You really think that is doable?

Old 05-30-2011, 09:12 PM

I didn't realize the pools were that small, Capt.. Maybe they were continuously draining and filling their own for the 24 days +/-. This was in Mesa, AZ. BTW, can you really get a 200 Deductible on a second home? The insurance companies have really been pulling on my chain lately, and why a Farmer's Agent in California charges me 336, when a Farmer's Agent next door to my townhouse, who is a friend, tried to charge me 510, I will never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: