Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 02:46 AM

62 posts, read 196,498 times

Advertisements

i have to imagine there is a place around here that supplies the landscapers. im thinking if i go buy direct i can save a fortune on my landscaping - any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 02:58 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
I've bought river boulders from Vista Landscape Center. My landscaper uses Rainbow Rock on Cheyenne. There are several other rock suppliers in town. Plant World and Star Nursery may be able to supply boulders too.

Las Vegas Decorative Rock, Boulders, Sand, Landscaping Materials - Vista Landscape Center

Rainbow Rock Las Vegas

Old 06-09-2011, 03:00 AM

62 posts, read 196,498 times
awesome. thanks so much. i know it may be an impossible question to answer bc they come in all shapes and sizes - but roughly what does a nice large boulder cost? just curious.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:11 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,812,108 times
Kinda hard to beat Star Nursery especially the one on Eastern.
They have a H U G E selection of rocks there.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:26 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by three1oh View Post
awesome. thanks so much. i know it may be an impossible question to answer bc they come in all shapes and sizes - but roughly what does a nice large boulder cost? just curious.
I don't know, I bought small river boulders, and my SUV weighed something like 250lbs more when I drove out than when I drove in, and based on that, I paid them around $19. I was almost embarrassed to waste their time with such a small purchase. So I guess the price was $150-$160 per ton for the (small) river boulders. I have no idea what large boulders cost.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:20 AM

228 posts, read 718,687 times
Sorry to jump in, but I want to know when you put these desert landscaping on your property, besides saving water, and lack of mowing lawns and watering plants. Do you get like a tax break or something, seems like alot of people here are looking into doing this type of gardening.

Forgive my ignorance.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:16 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr00th View Post
Sorry to jump in, but I want to know when you put these desert landscaping on your property, besides saving water, and lack of mowing lawns and watering plants. Do you get like a tax break or something, seems like alot of people here are looking into doing this type of gardening.

Forgive my ignorance.
Not paying for water is the monetary break. The water district issues fines for watering outside of your scheduled days. Last summer it was a challenge to keep drought tolerant plants alive, good luck with anything else. Sustainable living in the desert is why everyone does it.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:54 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr00th View Post

Forgive my ignorance.
Well, you're new to the desert way of life so how would you know..ask away all you want!

If you already have a lawn and rip it out to install xeriscape, I think (not 100% though) the water district pays you $1.00 square foot back. You get a check from the water company after you file the application, the inspector comes to see the lawn, and then after it's done, the inspector comes back and certifies that enough of the area is now considered "xeriscaped"

There are no other rebates, tax breaks, etc. etc. after you get your check from the water district for replacing lawn with required square footage of xeriscape.

Xeriscape (desert rock landscaping) when done correctly and tastefully, is really beautiful and so much less to maintain than a lawn, even a small postage stamp sized one, lol.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:09 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by three1oh View Post
i have to imagine there is a place around here that supplies the landscapers. im thinking if i go buy direct i can save a fortune on my landscaping - any ideas?
I see these trucks around town all the time, with a lot of really big trees and rocks

Can't tell you anything more unfortunately (price, guarantee, service, etc.)
but you can call and maybe visit their yard

Moon Valley Nurseries Las Vegas - Home

Old 06-09-2011, 10:17 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Kinda hard to beat Star Nursery especially the one on Eastern.
They have a H U G E selection of rocks there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
I see these trucks around town all the time, with a lot of really big trees and rocks

Can't tell you anything more unfortunately (price, guarantee, service, etc.)
but you can call and maybe visit their yard

Moon Valley Nurseries Las Vegas - Home
The Star Nursery in NLV always has at least one Star branded dump truck parked at their rock yard.

I've never bought rocks from either, but plant-wise I've found Star to be far cheaper (and friendlier) than Moon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas