U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-12-2011, 11:17 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,152,217 times
Default Fishing in Vegas and Lake Mead

The boys want to go fishing so I went to Walmart and got some poles and some tackle. Only trouble is I don't really know where to go. I've never fished much.

We did try Floyd lamb park that place is packed with people and we caught no fish. I was thinking willow Beach but not sure if that's the place to go.

I don't know where or even when to go fishing. It's for the young boys so I'm not fishing for stryper out of a bass boat or anything. Just from the shore. Some small sunfish would be fine.

Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 02:19 PM

131 posts, read 171,065 times
that sounds like a fun afternoon. I 2 would like suggestions

Old 06-12-2011, 02:44 PM

15,380 posts, read 22,064,984 times
NOT a fisherman but i dont think there are sunfish out there.....BASS, CARP and below the damn Trout...I may well be wrong tho....

An PLANKED CARP can not be beat......

put the Carp on a board[plank] cook over an open fire.....throw thcarp away and eat the plank

Old 06-12-2011, 04:31 PM

11,343 posts, read 19,324,021 times
Willow Beach is good for trout and Stripped Bass, and you can fish from the shore. Just be careful ...you don't want your kid falling in that river, nor do you want a snakebite. Why I prefer to rent a boat.

Crappies used to be found mostly up around Overton Landing, but I don't know anymore. You can rent a small boat at some of the marinas. Stripped Bass move around so much in schools that people fish for them from boats mostly. They watch for the "broil" on the water which shows where they are feeding on Chad, so take a pair of binocs. Some people say to watch for the seagulls diving on the same spot. It only lasts a few minutes and then you start looking for more. But you can fish for them from shore in the coves. Normally you just have to be at the right cove at the right time, mostly early in the morning as the sun comes up.

I always thought that was too much trouble, so I prefer trout fishing. There is a hatchery near Willow Beach and they release trout there, so for some place to go that's not too far away, that's the best.

You can also go north to various small lakes. It's fun to camp in a tent over a weekend at many State Parks and have fresh trout for breakfast. About the closest is Beaver Dam Reservoir near Caliente. I prefer Cave Lake, near Ely; and near Pioche, is Eagle Valley Res., and Echo Canyon Res.

The biggest "trouts" I've ever caught were at Sunnyside, aka: Wayne Kirch Wildlife Management Area, and about three other akas as there are three (or is it four) lakes there. FisherDad: Cold Springs Reservoir - Wayne Kirch Wildlife Management Area - Sunnyside, NV

After fishing at either Willow Beach, or Sunnyside, you can go sit in a natural hot springs in cool weather.

Here's a site that will tell you everything you need to know. NDOW - Nevada Department of Wildlife

And I recommend ordering this booklet from them. I have a copy and it's very good info: NDOW - Licenses & Laws - Fishing Regulations

Old 06-12-2011, 04:32 PM

By the way, take me with you.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:03 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,289,326 times
Panguitch Lake in Southern Utah. Rent a row boat. Go midweek and your guaranteed to be all alone on a tranquil and placid lake. Trout are stocked and plentiful. Enjoy!

LINK: http://www.panguitchlake.com/

Last edited by eventusstultorummagister; 06-12-2011 at 07:03 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 07:37 PM

Default Utah fishing

Yep on Panquitch, and in many cases it is closer to go to Utah, too. There are several nice lakes in Southern Utah. You need to stop in St. George or Cedar City for an out of state fishing license. Used to have one day and three day licenses. I've caught a lot of fish at Enterprise, but have never fished Panquitch. I love Navajo Lake, but can't go there due to the altitude. Although I've always enjoyed it there, I never caught one fish, and I prefer to go catching rather than fishing. My 7 year old granddaughter catches fish at Duck Creek. I've been told that Yankee Meadow is a good fishing hole too.

Scenic Southern Utah: Outdoor Activities: Fishing (http://www.scenicsouthernutah.com/outdoor_activities/fishing.shtml - broken link)

Old 06-13-2011, 12:27 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,152,217 times
quality info guys!!!

Already got some poles and myself some licenses. Keep the suggestions coming.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:41 AM

383 posts, read 279,238 times
Great post. Nice to see some new stuff on here. I too am interested in taking my 8 yr old boy fishing. Funny I sportfished for a living in Costa Rica for 12 years but have no clue where to get started in freshwater.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:04 AM

1,634 posts, read 2,079,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
Panguitch Lake in Southern Utah. Rent a row boat. Go midweek and your guaranteed to be all alone on a tranquil and placid lake. Trout are stocked and plentiful. Enjoy!

LINK: Panguitch Lake Utah Fishing

I love to fish in that area but my perfered spots is Pine Lake and Topic. For local day fish. I like Ice Box Cove and Aztec Cove off the lower Colorado river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas