Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:24 AM

105 posts, read 573,475 times

Advertisements

Many of these posts are examples of anti-intellectualism at its worst, and you guys hijacked my thread, with apparently no moderator response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 10:42 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
hmmmmm wonder why?

Old 06-16-2011, 11:21 AM

320 posts, read 1,129,622 times
Like anywhere in the US these days, don't move somewhere without a job lined up unless you have enough savings to last at least a year or so without a job. You definitely shouldn't move to Vegas or anywhere and expect to get a job just like that. It's rough out there...in Vegas and in other cities.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:22 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,565,878 times
Unless you're a pimp, then the timing couldn't be better.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:11 PM

29 posts, read 59,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligali View Post
We're moving to LV next year to work (teachers) and from what I see on tv, looks like the economy is really, really bad. Is it that bad?

Las Vegas economy among worst in the world, report says - Tuesday, Nov. 30, 2010 | 7 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

The economy is bad all over. Here in Broward County, Florida they just laid off another 1400 teachers. The problem we have now is the right is blaming social programs for our economic mess. We are firing teachers, while providing more tax breaks for the rich and more stimulus for corporations! People need to understand that education and teachers are the most important thing.

The most common sense thing to do is to have jobs lined up before moving. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:53 PM

270 posts, read 534,741 times
With Americans arguing against and amongst each other, as in this "blame the teachers" thread, myriad other countries can rise above where we once were.....and we won't even notice until we're rock bottom.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:56 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligali View Post
We teach in university, not public schools.
You're in serious trouble than.

Not many colleges/universities in Las Vegas. I've been teaching at colleges and universities in Japan & Korea.

I'd love to live in Las Vegas myself, but you have UNLV, College of Southern Nevada, and not much else - a small handful of small colleges.

Of course if you land a job in one of those colleges/universities, than it's all irrelevant, as you'd be batting 100%. Best bet is to look at their websites and apply.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:36 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
Getting back to the OP, I understood she and her dh have already secured teaching jobs. I thought she was just inquiring about the job market in general out there.I really don't think she is looking to just arrive then look for a job!

somehow this thread got twisted into teacher bashing, I know perhaps I ignited it. But, my pet peeve, is that teachers don't seem to realize the economy is quite bad for many of their students. Just keep that in mind when assigning projects, grading projects, etc.

But, teaching is being hard-hit throughout the nation. Seems they're laying teachers off just about everywhere. Well, welcome to the "parents' world"---where your job isn't secure, you live with the constant, gnawing anxiety of losing your livelihood, then teachers think if little Johnny shows some slight sign of anxiety he's supposed to run to counseling----which means the parents have to take time off work (oh, what's more important, your job or your child?) spend money they don't have (oh, look into your insurance benefits, which at best pay 80%) welcome to our world!

Old 06-16-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Wing View Post
Like anywhere in the US these days, don't move somewhere without a job lined up unless you have enough savings to last at least a year or so without a job. You definitely shouldn't move to Vegas or anywhere and expect to get a job just like that. It's rough out there...in Vegas and in other cities.

We were hired already. Do you think university teachears move to an area, *hoping* to get hired. Are you joking? You must be.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecnj View Post
With Americans arguing against and amongst each other, as in this "blame the teachers" thread, myriad other countries can rise above where we once were.....and we won't even notice until we're rock bottom.
Yes; the stupidity in this thread is just unbelievable. And discourtesy. And lack of insight. And unkindness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas