Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:36 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,637,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekwars2000 View Post
I'm not defending NV Energy here, but isn't ~12c/kwh below the national average for electricity?

SHHHH! we like bitchin!

Jonathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 04:41 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,438 times
Instead of complaining about the big, bad corporation, buy their stock if you think they're likely to make excess profits off of you. Become one of those greedy corporate owners whose pockets are lined with the blood-money of the middle class... Or something like that, right?

I, for one, prefer to own rather than bi*ch.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:22 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
I'm not defending NV Energy here, but isn't ~12c/kwh below the national average for electricity?
That wouldn't be so bad, just paying for what we use. But we have to pay more just for the privilege of being hooked up to have electricity, then we have to pay for the poor so they can have it, even though more of us are poorer these days, then we have to pay for the dorks to build more things to generate more electricity and then we have other taxes and surcharges that probably allow the execs to get more big screen tv's and such. So if we just paid our 12 cents per KWH, it would be great. So those of us who conserve and suffer could pay less while we conserve and suffer.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
Instead of complaining about the big, bad corporation, buy their stock if you think they're likely to make excess profits off of you. Become one of those greedy corporate owners whose pockets are lined with the blood-money of the middle class... Or something like that, right?

I, for one, prefer to own rather than bi*ch.
My birthday is coming up in a few months. Buy me some stock in NVEnergy.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:08 PM

NYSE:NVE

Old 06-21-2011, 10:38 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,434,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
My birthday is coming up in a few months. Buy me some stock in NVEnergy.
sure. one share of NVE is cheaper than a birthday cake.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:18 PM

395 posts, read 1,081,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
That wouldn't be so bad, just paying for what we use. But we have to pay more just for the privilege of being hooked up to have electricity, then we have to pay for the poor so they can have it, even though more of us are poorer these days, then we have to pay for the dorks to build more things to generate more electricity and then we have other taxes and surcharges that probably allow the execs to get more big screen tv's and such. So if we just paid our 12 cents per KWH, it would be great. So those of us who conserve and suffer could pay less while we conserve and suffer.
And to think that what you say above doesn't happen in any other city is just naive...

My last bill had a $8 basic service charge and a consumption tax of 5%. For my 1090 KWh of usage I paid $143 total. That comes out to 13.77c per KWh.

Check out this link - it shows the avg cost of energy by state/region. We are pretty much at the national average for energy cost (11.86 vs 11.2). In addition, as compared to other places we don't hardly use as much electric/gas overall for the year. Out electric bills are "high" about 4 months a year and our gas bills are "high" about 2-3 months a year.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
And to think that what you say above doesn't happen in any other city is just naive...

My last bill had a $8 basic service charge and a consumption tax of 5%. For my 1090 KWh of usage I paid $143 total. That comes out to 13.77c per KWh.

Check out this link - it shows the avg cost of energy by state/region. We are pretty much at the national average for energy cost (11.86 vs 11.2). In addition, as compared to other places we don't hardly use as much electric/gas overall for the year. Out electric bills are "high" about 4 months a year and our gas bills are "high" about 2-3 months a year.
Actually, when I lived in hot southern California, they only charged me for electric I used. My highest bill in the summer was $50 at the most. And I kept my apt really cool. So much for that.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:00 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
I am afraid of how high my electric bill is going to be this summer, especially since I keep my apartment at 74 degrees. I expect it to at least double, but I hope that is the worst it will be.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am afraid of how high my electric bill is going to be this summer, especially since I keep my apartment at 74 degrees. I expect it to at least double, but I hope that is the worst it will be.
I thought you lived in a weekly / monthly 'hotel' room..

Jonathan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas