U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 04:30 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,718,807 times
Default fruits trees in vegas...

what are you guys growing in your gardens in as far as fruit trees are concerned? I am wanting to grow a lime tree, but I have heard they might not survive a winter here. My old real estate agent had a well established lemon tree in his yard, so what gives.

what do folks grow, and do any of you have advice with citrus trees in vegas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 04:33 PM

15,380 posts, read 22,500,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
what are you guys growing in your gardens in as far as fruit trees are concerned? I am wanting to grow a lime tree, but I have heard they might not survive a winter here. My old real estate agent had a well established lemon tree in his yard, so what gives.

what do folks grow, and do any of you have advice with citrus trees in vegas?
I have a lemon, 2 peach and 2 pear trees....I have NEVER seen a lemon...never seen an edible peach or pear....but the TREES are doin great.

I also have a loquat tree that is about 30 yrs old and give me loquats EVERY year that are delicious.

They will survive the winter with minimal care but the fruit sux lol

Old 06-23-2011, 04:41 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,718,807 times
that's good to know that the citrus will survive the winter.

maybe try some fruiting fertilizer on those trees in the early spring and you may see some fruit eventually.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:44 PM

15,757 posts, read 20,280,033 times
Lots of bearing lemons tree around. See them all the time. We have an orange with a couple of dozen fruit on it. We get good peaches off two trees though they are approaching 20 years old and will have to be replaced soon.

Apricot tree is healthy and just gave up a couple of bushels.

Granny apple is old and diseased. Probably has to come out but still have a substantial set of apples this year.

Potted lemon, kumquat and a grapefruit have small yields...New guava flowered so we shall see.

They all survive pretty well.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:46 PM

1,771 posts, read 1,619,573 times
Will an avocado tree survive? I want an army of avacado trees.
Please tell me it could happen!!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:51 PM

9,486 posts, read 14,546,961 times
i have: a lemon tree, lime tree, orange tree, grapefruit tree, peach tree, apple tree, plum tree, apricot tree, nectarine tree, pomogranite tree, persimmon tree, and 2 fig trees.

the only one that hasn't given me fruit is the persimmon. I had so many apricots this year, i couldn't give them away... probably a thousand or so.... my fig trees also give me a ton of figs....

Old 06-23-2011, 05:03 PM

15,380 posts, read 22,500,812 times
we had an apricot tree that put out more then I could handle but it went Fruit up......the loquats are top notch....I have always thought that avacados would be GREAT here but somewhere I heard they are very difficult for some reason....maybe they need a bunch of guy trees to get one girl tree ....well....you know.....

Old 06-23-2011, 05:41 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,917,887 times
I planted two cherry, three apple and a peach tree this year. Got them from the Arbor Day foundation for about $10 per tree. They arrived as dormant twigs, but are all in full bloom now.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:15 PM

11,396 posts, read 19,749,415 times
Peaches, apricots, and nectarines, and apples do exceptionally well. Gilchrist Orchard sells millions of them. I haven't personally grown apples because we moved before the ones we planted produced. Not sure they would have because apples are all different pollinators. Some are self pollinating, some need another tree of the same kind, and others can be pollinated from any other tree. You have to find that out before planting, and don't count on your neighbors' trees pollinating yours because they may be the wrong kind, or too far away. Cherries will not produce because there are not enough cold nights in Las Vegas. I had a tree that gave me three cherries in seven years. Figs do really well to, but some figs have to be dried or they taste terrible. Obviously, olives do very well, and most of the ones you see around here are wasted because people won't go to trouble of curing them. I believe that planting new olive trees has been outlawed because of allergy problems. I've seen limes growing here, and I'd assume they'd do well. I don't think you can grow avocados, but not sure.

Anyone doing any gardening in Nevada should buy a book specific to our desert. The only one I'm aware of is Nevada Gardener's Guide, by Linn Mills, and Dick Post. I see it at Home Depot a lot, and in book stores, but I think you can get it at The Springs Preserve since Mills works there. Other books about desert gardening that I've seen are usually specific to Arizona and have little bearing on Nevada gardening.

You should also talk to the master gardeners at UNLV and Springs Preserve.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:23 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,917,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Not sure they would have because apples are all different pollinators. Some are self pollinating, some need another tree of the same kind, and others can be pollinated from any other tree. You have to find that out before planting, and don't count on your neighbors' trees pollinating yours because they may be the wrong kind, or too far away. Cherries will not produce because there are not enough cold nights in Las Vegas.
One of my apple trees pollinates with each of the other two, two cherries that pollinate with each other and a self pollinating peach tree. I hadn't heard the cold night thing about the cherries, but it is too late now. In the future I guess I will see first hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas