U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 11:14 AM

270 posts, read 263,426 times
Thanks for all the great responses. It helps a great deal to have some insight about specific parks before bringing my one very shy dog and one very hyper dog to a park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 11:34 AM

11,397 posts, read 19,772,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlstraQ View Post
In the northwest there is a very large dog park on the corner of Tenaya and Alexander. It is next to W. Wayne Bunker Park. There are two flood water drainage basins separated by Gowen. The southern basin has soccer fields. The northern basin has three enclosures for dogs, two of which are active at any given time. One is for larger dogs, the other for smaller dogs. The enclosures are huge with plenty of room for the dogs to roam around.
That's Barkin' Basin. They have a new sign now.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecnj View Post
Thanks for all the great responses. It helps a great deal to have some insight about specific parks before bringing my one very shy dog and one very hyper dog to a park.
Dogs have a pack mentality, and the pack has a pecking order. Leave them alone and they will sort out where each dog stands in this order. Shy dogs are just being submissive. I'm impatient with sniveling dogs, but only when I'm not thinking about the reason for it. Hyper dogs need to cut down on caffeine, but they are just trying to prove they should be in charge. I see owners bring dogs into parks and they are unnecessarily afraid to take them off the leash, which is the reason for the park in the first place. Then while their dog is being a dog, the owners are always yelling at them. Dogs sometimes play rough, but it is play. Just leave them alone to their own doggie ways. Don't yell at them for chasing other dogs, or rough housing. As Caesar the Dog Whisperer tells people, the dog reflects it's owners' anxieties. People should just chill unless there is a serious dog fight. But from my dog park experience that seems to be extremely rare among dogs of approximately the same size. Dogs love to wrestle. I'd swear mine have been watching amateur wrestling on TV, because they assume the same stances as college wrestlers.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:08 PM

We have a Lhasa Apso and a Lhasa Apso mix.

Herman, our ex-con of mixed blood, practically bounces off the walls until we take him to the park. Then all he wants to do is sit on our laps. He used to love to race other dogs, but I guess he's getting older now. He'll still "run the fence" a couple of times when we go to Barkin' Basin where there is more room, but then he's tired. He only has a few Tibetan attributes in his personality.

Dusty, our baby, trusts no one when it comes to car rides, until he's sure he's going to the park and not the vet or groomer. He sits quietly in the back seat, and only gets excited when we get within a block or two of the park. Sometimes when we turn the wrong way and go to Dairy Queen instead, he whines under his breath. As soon as he gets to the park, he checks his P-Mail all over the park about 100 times, and pays very little attention to the other dogs, or people. Except now and then he'll meet a female that he likes. He is a reincarnated Buddhist monk, and he keeps his emotions to himself, but is aware of everything.

We let them do their thing, but sometimes we separate 50 yards or so and call them back and forth between us to make sure they get some exercise. A tired dog is a good dog.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:56 PM

191 posts, read 237,850 times
And PLEASE make sure to keep an eye on your dog at all times! There was recently a dog-napping where someone in a van pulled up and took someone's dog and sped off. Plate was traced to a stolen vehicle unfortunately. Maybe taken to be used as a bait dog I assume? But be aware that this happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas