U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:07 PM

2,502 posts, read 5,594,418 times
Truthfully, I'm originally from the midwest, and it took me about 5 years to get used to the heat.

Recent years have been by far the easiest. Although, that might actually be because of climate change - it seems to me that the past few years have actually had cooler summers than usual....days with extreme highs close to 115, for example, don't seem to be as common now as they were 5 or 6 years ago. But I suppose I could be imagining things.

Anyway, adapting to the heat requires you to be smart. Even the first few summers can be made much easier by some strategic planning. Stay hydrated - always carry water. Park your car in the shade whenever possible, it will make a huge difference (and avoid black leather car seats). Do any strenuous outdoor activities during the coolest parts of the day (early in the morning and in the evening after the sun sets). Misters in the backyard are also a good idea, if you plan on spending lots of time on the patio.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:52 PM

103 posts, read 117,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Was it windy up there too?
A little breezy. Definitely not windy. Just perfect.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:04 PM

3,622 posts, read 2,708,844 times
I'm used to the heat, it doesn't bother me at all. I love the weather here in Vegas. We moved away to Washington for a year and after having a winter with highs in the 20's and 100 percent humidity, fog, snow, and ice storms I was ready to come back before the year was over.

If I could pick I would love to live near SF, Monterey, or Carmel on the beach somewhere.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:00 PM

11,264 posts, read 18,796,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I'm used to the heat, it doesn't bother me at all. I love the weather here in Vegas. We moved away to Washington for a year and after having a winter with highs in the 20's and 100 percent humidity, fog, snow, and ice storms I was ready to come back before the year was over.

If I could pick I would love to live near SF, Monterey, or Carmel on the beach somewhere.
Sounds like what we've been wanting to do for several years, but have you priced homes there? I'd need have a much richer wife for that.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:13 PM

1,283 posts, read 741,205 times
You have a good AC unit and you stay out of direct sunlight as much as possible and it really is not all that bad here for the most part. Most days, after sunset, it feels rather nice. It is better than the heat in Texas is.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:20 PM

270 posts, read 247,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Brooklynite View Post
This is so true. People I talk to back east are already complaining about the humidity and it's only in the 80's there.

Yes, it is like soup here in NJ. But I leave for Vegas Tuesday morning to sign my lease. I'll take 115 degrees in Vegas over 90 and humid in Jersey any day. Yup, I've been in Vegas during weeks at the height of heat in July and still prefer it to Jersey--hands down!

Old 06-26-2011, 08:29 PM

3,622 posts, read 2,708,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post

Sounds like what we've been wanting to do for several years, but have you priced homes there? I'd need have a much richer wife for that.
Hehehe...yeah, there's that. I lived there for a short time and it's very expensive.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:29 PM

Took the dogs to the park last night after dark and it was still somewhere near 100. But we were commenting on how amazing it is that once the sun goes down, 100 feels great. Especially with a slight breeze.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:52 PM

Lyra33, the sun burns skin. The dark doesn't. Ha, ha.

Speaking of Carmel, my dogs have always loved it because they are welcome everywhere. I booked a whale watching trip once, and asked them if there was a doggy day care nearby for while we were on the boat. They said bring him along, they always have a doggy crew member on board, so it's no big deal. He was still a puppy, but I think he enjoyed it.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:41 PM

3 posts, read 1,084 times
Ok Radraja and others, I live in Nebraska and HATE this humidity. Today it was 101 with high humidity. I talked my husband into changing our "dream sheet" for the Air Force from Offut (I DO NOT want to stay in Nebraska!) to picking some place else. I'm really interested in Creech. The heat is a little worrysome though. I think I can handle the high heat and I "think" he and our kids can too. I'm not sure though. I remember three years ago flying to Mesa for something.. it was 80 here in Omaha and humid as hell. I got off the plane in Mesa at 106 and sighed a relief... it felt wonderful.

I hope if we put Creech AFB down we don't regret it, but it's so appealing since the other five we put down are near family and we kinda want to keep it that way. Plus I love all there is to do within half a day's drive. Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas