U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:55 AM

48 posts, read 112,394 times

Advertisements

Last night I was walking my dog around the development in the dark, and I bumped into a neighbor who suggested I bring a flashlight or headlamp to keep an eye out for black widow spiders. I didn't think very much of it at the time.

Tonight I went out again around the block, this time using a headlamp. There were enough female black widows to film a horror movie. I don't know if these things just like to be out at night or what, but they are absolutely all over the place near the sidewalk, usually forming webs connecting from the sidewalks to rosemary bushes.

I counted 8 to 10 in the bushes just in front of my own house, and as we walked, I counted another 30-50 along the sidewalks. For anyone right now questioning whether these are black widows, I took a handful of pictures of some of the large ones. They are absolutely female southern black widows.

On my way back into the house, I found two more in webs on my front porch.

I decided to go out and clobber my yard and sidewalk bushes with my pump sprayer filled with cypermethrin. It basically was killing the spiders on contact, they would crawl around for 30 seconds and then just shrivel up.

My question for everyone on this board is whether I will be getting myself in trouble if I sneak out and spray some of the neighbors bushes with this stuff. I'm not entirely sure these bushes are even on the neighbors property, since they are between the sidewalk and the street. Any opinions or suggestions?

I won't be able to kill the whole population of these things in the neighborhood, but if I can just keep the ones in the nearby vicinity under control, I'd be more comfortable with my 20 lb Boston Terrier hanging around the yard.

Last edited by philmason; 06-28-2011 at 02:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 02:02 AM

48 posts, read 112,394 times
Here's a pic of one. They are about an inch and a half long. Sometimes there would be two or three in one large web, which surprised me.

I haven't seen any in the house, or any bugs for that matter. I don't think these things are really house creatures though from what I understand.
Attached Thumbnails
Black Widow Spiders (Summerlin South)-img_1168_medium.jpg  

Old 06-28-2011, 02:41 AM

9,926 posts, read 22,125,698 times
They'll be in your garage. Out in the yard if you have anything close to the house, you should find them hanging there. Around plants,etc. Getting our car out of the garage, we sometimes find the web attached to one of our doors, and the other side of the web on the wall. I guess they want to make sure they get enough bugs if they cover almost everything.
Best to have the Bug Bully come and spray to keep them away.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 AM

2,180 posts, read 3,772,208 times
black widows are not a very social spider... they stay in cracks a nooks hiding. you can tell if they are around because they have a non typical web, it looks more like a tangle of webbing. of course the eggs look like tiny pea sized dust bunnies.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:58 AM

13,819 posts, read 25,123,429 times
Black widows are not very sociable. Once their husbands die, they tend to become recluse.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:02 PM

15,756 posts, read 33,341,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philmason View Post
Last night I was walking my dog around the development in the dark, and I bumped into a neighbor who suggested I bring a flashlight or headlamp to keep an eye out for black widow spiders. I didn't think very much of it at the time.

Tonight I went out again around the block, this time using a headlamp. There were enough female black widows to film a horror movie. I don't know if these things just like to be out at night or what, but they are absolutely all over the place near the sidewalk, usually forming webs connecting from the sidewalks to rosemary bushes.

I counted 8 to 10 in the bushes just in front of my own house, and as we walked, I counted another 30-50 along the sidewalks. For anyone right now questioning whether these are black widows, I took a handful of pictures of some of the large ones. They are absolutely female southern black widows.

On my way back into the house, I found two more in webs on my front porch.

I decided to go out and clobber my yard and sidewalk bushes with my pump sprayer filled with cypermethrin. It basically was killing the spiders on contact, they would crawl around for 30 seconds and then just shrivel up.

My question for everyone on this board is whether I will be getting myself in trouble if I sneak out and spray some of the neighbors bushes with this stuff. I'm not entirely sure these bushes are even on the neighbors property, since they are between the sidewalk and the street. Any opinions or suggestions?

I won't be able to kill the whole population of these things in the neighborhood, but if I can just keep the ones in the nearby vicinity under control, I'd be more comfortable with my 20 lb Boston Terrier hanging around the yard.
They are not particularly a threat to your pooch. The dog is more of a threat to them. I have seen my cat kill them just for entertainment. I don't believe I have heard of a dog being bitten...I doubt the spider can penetrate the fur.

Just don't turn on the flash light and neither you nor your dog will be bothered by them. Note that they keep other bug populations under control.

I have had Priscilla or a foremother thereof living in my breaker box since I have owned this house. We leave each other alone and get along fine.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:30 PM

13,819 posts, read 25,123,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philmason View Post
If you spray your neighbor's bush....just make sure her husband is on a business trip...and your wife doesn't find out.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:18 PM

579 posts, read 1,055,062 times
Our neighborhood had them too, also connecting webs from the rosemarry bushes to the sidewalks. Our HOA began spraying the sidewalk and common area bushes. A few neighbors petitioned to have the plants changed in front of their homes. Each street would have a certain type of bush and species of tree lining that street. Just so happens our street was rosemary bushes, and black widows love them! We also had them on all of the gas lamps, making webs from the lamps to the grassy areas, and ALL of the mailboxes at night. So beware grabby the mail at dusk.......

Old 06-28-2011, 03:11 PM

2,556 posts, read 3,870,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
They are not particularly a threat to your pooch. The dog is more of a threat to them. I have seen my cat kill them just for entertainment. I don't believe I have heard of a dog being bitten...I doubt the spider can penetrate the fur.

Just don't turn on the flash light and neither you nor your dog will be bothered by them. Note that they keep other bug populations under control.

I have had Priscilla or a foremother thereof living in my breaker box since I have owned this house. We leave each other alone and get along fine.
It would probably be a bite to the nose if it happened. But you're right, you really don't hear about that happening. If it did though it could certainly kill the dog.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:52 PM

15,756 posts, read 33,341,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
It would probably be a bite to the nose if it happened. But you're right, you really don't hear about that happening. If it did though it could certainly kill the dog.
I just got curious and went through the web literature a bit and the view of the vets is that it is much more serious than I thought. Especially for a cat.

Dogs get hurt but generally do OK with a most some vet support. Cats have a much worse time. Sometimes it proves fatal.

I searched for numbers and found very little. So we are pretty much off into the anecdotal medical area...which is always suspect.

But I am going to talk to my big guy and tell him to stop messing with the spiders. I doubt it will do any real good but at least I warned him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or