Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,796 times

Advertisements

My husband planted grass even though I advised against it.

There are brown spots everywhere! Right now I water three times a day for about ten minutes. I fertilized in May.

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 09:39 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessn0622 View Post
My husband planted grass even though I advised against it.

There are brown spots everywhere! Right now I water three times a day for about ten minutes. I fertilized in May.

Thanks for any input!
The only grass I have is the kind that grows indoors and goes into a bong!

Old 07-02-2011, 12:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,796 times
My husband would probably prefer if I grew that kind!

Old 07-02-2011, 12:42 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,319 times
I water two five minute cycles at night and my lawn is looking good (seeded this year). My dog's pee kills a little patch at a time though. You can dump water on your dog's pee to prevent this. I just reseed the dead patches every other week because it takes less time than following my dog around with a hose.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:54 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
You all are lucky that you can grow grass. Our HOA forbids it and they whip us at the HOA meetings if we even think of growing it.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:21 AM

719 posts, read 1,480,117 times
When I lived in CA as a kid I remember my dad always watered at night. He insisted that to water during the daytime heat burned the grass. Have you tried watering only after dark or VERY early in the morning (6 am)?

Old 07-02-2011, 01:43 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,244,252 times
I water three times for seven minutes each cycle between 4-6 AM (on the hour) to eliminate the possibility of fungus growth that can occur when watering in the early to late evening. Generally it's best to use fertilizers sold by our local Las Vegas gardening outfits because their fertilizers are formulated for our desert conditions. Usually, I fertilize twice a year. Once on Memorial Day and the other on Labor Day. Fertilizing in the summer is generally not advised due to the heat. When mowing, it's important not to cut too much of the grass (no more than one third) in a mowing. Keep your mower at a reasonable height to help the grass retain moisture.

Make sure your sprinklers are adjusted properly by putting out small tuna cans or styrofoam cups to see if the entire area is being watered equally. You may need to change or adjust your sprinkler heads.

With regard to pets and your lawn...especially female dogs...they just burn it up. My backyard lawn turned out to be a lost cause and I installed artificial turf. They ruin grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas