U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2011, 03:34 PM
 
40 posts, read 61,958 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

Hi guys,

My tenant just filed for Bankruptcy, what options do I have to kick them out ASAP?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2011, 03:42 PM
 
3,173 posts, read 2,534,682 times
Reputation: 3143
It's best to ask an Attorney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Vegas, baby, Vegas!
3,162 posts, read 3,417,590 times
Reputation: 2978
do you have a deposit?
do you have a good relationship with your tenant?
HAVE YOU SPOKEN TO YOUR TENANT AS A HUMAN?

Just because he/she filed for bankruptcy doesn't turn them into a Satan worshiper.


Jonathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 03:47 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,757 posts, read 20,720,558 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
Hi guys,

My tenant just filed for Bankruptcy, what options do I have to kick them out ASAP?

Thanks.
Not much. Anything they owed you before the BK is tied up in the BK. You can't do anything about it except pursue it as a BK claim Can't evict them either.

If they don't pay their rent after the BK you can evict them for non-payment relatively quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 04:12 PM
 
40 posts, read 61,958 times
Reputation: 22
I just read something called "Notice of Motion for Relief from automatic stay" that you have to file at BK Court. Still doing some research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,379 posts, read 22,921,184 times
Reputation: 8579
Why do you NEED to kick out the tenant...the BK doesnt modify his lease with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 04:16 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,757 posts, read 20,720,558 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
I just read something called "Notice of Motion for Relief from automatic stay" that you have to file at BK Court. Still doing some research.
In general you won't get it. The court just says no. Wanting them out is not a criteria to the judge. If you can establish cause...Selling drugs, tearing up the unit...something like that you might have a shot. But note virtually everyone in BK has a lawyer who will handle this sort of thing with little trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
270 posts, read 269,727 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
do you have a deposit?
do you have a good relationship with your tenant?
HAVE YOU SPOKEN TO YOUR TENANT AS A HUMAN?

Just because he/she filed for bankruptcy doesn't turn them into a Satan worshiper.


Jonathan

Indeed. How quickly the tide turns. Watch out for Karma! Doesn't hurt to try kindness first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 06:03 PM
 
40 posts, read 61,958 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
In general you won't get it. The court just says no. Wanting them out is not a criteria to the judge. If you can establish cause...Selling drugs, tearing up the unit...something like that you might have a shot. But note virtually everyone in BK has a lawyer who will handle this sort of thing with little trouble.
I just contacted an attorney, the tenant will be kicked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 07:57 PM
 
8,912 posts, read 5,112,922 times
Reputation: 2368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
I just contacted an attorney, the tenant will be kicked out.
You called an attorney who told you what you wanted to hear. Good luck to you but better luck to your tenant who has probably become a victim of these tough economic times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top