U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-20-2011, 09:36 AM

3,991 posts, read 2,356,389 times

Advertisements

There may be some desirable jobs that are gone, sure. What I'm seeing though is some undesirable people not even making an effort to grab the available jobs. Hell, I'm underemployed, but the key is that I'm EMPLOYED....I'm not going to be a cousin Eddie and hold out for a management position for seven years! (Vacation movie reference!).

I'm doing security...some people show up to apply looking exactly like the type of individual you're being hired to screen out!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 09:04 PM

17 posts, read 31,180 times
Thanks Cyborgt88. I have been seriously considering relocating to Vegas as well. I am from and currently reside in Atlanta, in which I have been doing extensive research of Vegas. What area would you recommend to a novice? Please advise. Although my background is Admin, I too would be willing to work in other fields until something arises. What I am looking to do is research companies that are here and have locations in Vegas, then possibly TRANSFER within the same company, perhaps having some1 to write a letter of recommendation. In essence your progress has really been an inspiration to someone whom is combing through countless responses before making a final decision. I have even been checking out there post secondary institutions and I may return to school a year upon my arrival (official instate student by that time). I don't want much, just a nice home to purchase, great scenery, affordable living, great friends, with an array of things to do. Atlanta is cool, but is very Hollywoodish (if you will).

Well I digress, thanks again for sharing your progress.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicey141 View Post
Thanks Cyborgt88. I have been seriously considering relocating to Vegas as well. I am from and currently reside in Atlanta, in which I have been doing extensive research of Vegas. What area would you recommend to a novice? Please advise. Although my background is Admin, I too would be willing to work in other fields until something arises. What I am looking to do is research companies that are here and have locations in Vegas, then possibly TRANSFER within the same company, perhaps having some1 to write a letter of recommendation. In essence your progress has really been an inspiration to someone whom is combing through countless responses before making a final decision. I have even been checking out there post secondary institutions and I may return to school a year upon my arrival (official instate student by that time). I don't want much, just a nice home to purchase, great scenery, affordable living, great friends, with an array of things to do. Atlanta is cool, but is very Hollywoodish (if you will).

Well I digress, thanks again for sharing your progress.
I'm glad I'm an inspiration... I also was looking for companies to transfer to make the move...most likely though it would have delayed the move by over a year. Companies tend to want a year of service before a transfer unless it's THEM initiating the transfer for their own interest.
As for a recommendation...I don't know the area well enough to do that.
There are plenty of service industry jobs for someone with a clean background.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:44 AM

13 posts, read 16,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Why people live in Las Vegas: Location, location, location; Southern Nevada, beautiful Mojave Desert, Southwest U.S.. Large desert valley approx. 40 miles across, 2,000 ft. elevation, surrounded by mountains. Highest peak, 11,982 feet. Average temps, July, 106, highest recorded 118 (unofficial temps over 120); January, 57, lowest recorded, 6. Average rainfall 4 inches. Very low humidity. This desert is not cold at night in summer. Winter overnight lows only sometimes below freezing. Pop. 1,800,000, fastest growing city before the real estate crash, averaging 4000-6,000 new people per month. “Las Vegas” is actually cities of Las Vegas, Henderson, North Las Vegas, plus unincorporated county areas running together into large metropolitan area. Over 2,000 new homes added each month. No we are not all Mafia hit men, or hookers, and we don’t live in hotels on the Strip. Tourism is the leading industry with more hotel rooms (approx 150,000) than any other city, with many of the most expensive hotels ever built (two are THE most expensive, Wynn & Bellagio), and several largest hotels in the world (MGM Grand, world’s largest). More convention center space than any other city. Several convention facilities including largest in the U.S., LV Convention Center. Amazing outdoor attractions nearby such as Hoover Dam, creating Lake Mead, largest man made lake in western hemisphere; National Parks such as Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Cedar Breaks, Death Valley. Lake Powell, Lake Mojave, Colorado River, Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire, Mt. Charleston, Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Park, Bryan Head Ski Resort, etc, etc. Los Angeles, four hours by car (30 min. by plane); Pacific Ocean, five hours; Phoenix, AZ, five hours; Salt Lake City, UT, six hours; Reno, NV, nine hours. Nevada means “snow covered” in Spanish; Sierra means “mountains”; Las Vegas means “the meadows”. Did I mention, no state income tax? How about no fleas, and we rarely see a mosquito. Very few bugs at all for that matter. No mud slides, earthquakes, tornadoes, and huricanes. Ya’ll come see us soon, ya hear?
Hey Buzz123, what's a good legit LV/Hendersen website to go to, to find jobs? (Besides Craiglist?)

Old 12-21-2011, 04:23 AM

203 posts, read 349,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I can say that despite the claims of no jobs here, there are far more opportunities here in Las Vegas than many other metropolitan cites...high unemployment doesn't mean there are not jobs...just that many are unemployed. I would guess that many of those unemployed lack education, skills, attitude or a clear background to attain many of the available jobs, especially where the strip is concerned.
Well cyborg i beg to differ many of the people unemployed are considered white collar due to cutbacks in city government and county government. unemployment hovering around 14 percent no matter where you live is not a good thing . this explains why so many people leave Vegas as move in. If anyone moves to las Vegas without some job prospects deserves everything they get. [mod cut- rude]

Last edited by observer53; 12-21-2011 at 02:38 PM..

Old 12-21-2011, 03:44 PM

Default I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFILESMULDER View Post
Well cyborg i beg to differ many of the people unemployed are considered white collar due to cutbacks in city government and county government. unemployment hovering around 14 percent no matter where you live is not a good thing . this explains why so many people leave Vegas as move in. If anyone moves to las Vegas without some job prospects deserves everything they get. [mod cut- rude]

The ATTITUDE with the white collar people is the problem...read what I wrote!

I included attitude as something holding people back from employment!

If you're rejecting lower perceived or payed jobs holding out for management then you are being like cousin Eddie!
Like I said ATTITUDE....I'm not too good to take a lower job while I search for better....and build myself back up.

Hell, Up until late '07 I was running a few businesses...I lost them and eight houses! ...maybe I should starve while waiting for a CEO position!

Old 12-21-2011, 07:25 PM

6,141 posts, read 5,672,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
The ATTITUDE with the white collar people is the problem...read what I wrote!

I included attitude as something holding people back from employment!

If you're rejecting lower perceived or payed jobs holding out for management then you are being like cousin Eddie!
Like I said ATTITUDE....I'm not too good to take a lower job while I search for better....and build myself back up.

Hell, Up until late '07 I was running a few businesses...I lost them and eight houses! ...maybe I should starve while waiting for a CEO position!
This explains the other side of the unemployment numbers. The people who legitimately can't find jobs and those that can't find the jobs that they want.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:37 PM

Default True!

The fact is there are plenty of jobs...either you don't qualify for even the lowest due to something you did, are doing or didn't do OR you're thinking you're too good for what is offered! Suck it up, pay your bills and keep looking! Fix your education, how you appear, speak and come across to others if need be!
be prepared to do a job that's "beneath" you for awhile...that shows more integrity than whining!

Old 12-22-2011, 12:43 AM

6,141 posts, read 5,672,410 times
When I think of Las Vegas having no jobs. I think of all those job searching sites returning ZERO results after inputting a job for the area of choice. This is never the case. There are always multiple pages of jobs listed.

Last edited by von949; 12-22-2011 at 01:31 AM..

Old 12-22-2011, 01:09 AM

49 posts, read 25,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
Well, yeah ...if I am going to be poor, I am going to do it in the sunshine with blue skies, silly.

AGREED! Exactly how I feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas