Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 06:05 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,332,049 times

Advertisements

The response on these sites is always---"If you don't like LV move". This response only adds to one's perception that LV is inhabited by "mean-spirited individuals. I am happy that LV is a good fit for you. For many others, LV is absolutely not like any other city, and they are asking, why. by the way, I hear Dubai is heaven on earth--any experiences there?

Old 08-11-2007, 08:10 AM

211 posts, read 985,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Las Vegas is not a crappy town.
Wrong reason to move here: Hope to make a living playing poker. There is where you went wrong. Then you probably couldn't afford a nice place in a nice area so you had to live downtown or nearby. That alone would depress anyone, whether they moved here to play poker or had a real job.
You know where the door to leave is, make sure you close it when you leave.
I played no limit poker once in the 9 months ive been here, other then that I have been working to pay the bills(as well as some extra bills from the snakes that have taken advantage of me in my time here), I am sorry I can not fork over $900 a month just for rent to live in a nice area, maybe in your world good paying easy jobs fall off trees

Old 08-11-2007, 09:49 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
The response on these sites is always---"If you don't like LV move". This response only adds to one's perception that LV is inhabited by "mean-spirited individuals. I am happy that LV is a good fit for you. For many others, LV is absolutely not like any other city, and they are asking, why. by the way, I hear Dubai is heaven on earth--any experiences there?

How about, "Don't move to Vegas unless you can help prop up the value of my 4 BR home in Summerlin"? Does that make me mean-spirited, too?

Old 08-11-2007, 09:55 AM

818 posts, read 3,698,026 times
Quote:
Then you probably couldn't afford a nice place in a nice area so you had to live downtown or nearby. That alone would depress anyone, whether they moved here to play poker or had a real job.
Nobody that I've seen posting on here how much they hate Las Vegas has ever stated living downtown or nearby. I take umbrage with that, as I live downtown and find it to be the best place in the Valley to live.

The majority of the whiners are shocked when their Summerlin apartment is the target of a burglar (they thought that all the lowlifes were downtown!) or some other ridiculous misconception spread by the people who say "Live in GV or Summerlin, everywhere else is terrible" and they expect Utopia out there, when in fact it's not that much different.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:10 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
Nobody that I've seen posting on here how much they hate Las Vegas has ever stated living downtown or nearby. I take umbrage with that, as I live downtown and find it to be the best place in the Valley to live.

The majority of the whiners are shocked when their Summerlin apartment is the target of a burglar (they thought that all the lowlifes were downtown!) or some other ridiculous misconception spread by the people who say "Live in GV or Summerlin, everywhere else is terrible" and they expect Utopia out there, when in fact it's not that much different.
IF I were a lowlife and predisposed to burgling I would certainly pick GV or Summerlin as opposed to Alta n Jones [where I live]......even burglers like to shop where the money is.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:55 AM

294 posts, read 1,334,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post
I played no limit poker once in the 9 months ive been here, other then that I have been working to pay the bills(as well as some extra bills from the snakes that have taken advantage of me in my time here), I am sorry I can not fork over $900 a month just for rent to live in a nice area, maybe in your world good paying easy jobs fall off trees
I think it's safe to say that if you’re not making at least $2500 a month in LV, you’re going to have difficulty financially. I don’t care where you live. Even if the worst apartment were $700 a month, you would need that $2500 coming in just to survive. Now I don’t know your situation, but if there is no spouse, partner, roommate living with you contributing, that also hurts. I don't even live there yet, but I know that if my gf and I can't pull in 80k+ combined a year, we will be peacing out very soon, and to me that seems reasonable. And I know this BEFORE hand.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:08 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billeethakid View Post
I think it's safe to say that if you’re not making at least $2500 a month in LV, you’re going to have difficulty financially. I don’t care where you live. Even if the worst apartment were $700 a month, you would need that $2500 coming in just to survive. Now I don’t know your situation, but if there is no spouse, partner, roommate living with you contributing, that also hurts. I don't even live there yet, but I know that if my gf and I can't pull in 80k+ combined a year, we will be peacing out very soon, and to me that seems reasonable. And I know this BEFORE hand.
That's a good point and one people should be aware of before they pack up and move here with no knowledge of the area. I'd think that $30,000 would be minimum and even that is near poverty level these days. Of course if I had heeded my own advice I'd still be in Clarksburg, WV. But I'd probably live a lot longer. Hmmm. Come to think of it, if I were still there I'd probably have more money too...hmmm. You guys think it's too late to go back?

Old 08-11-2007, 11:16 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Default Dead Nevadans don't lie.

Planning a move to Las Vegas from the east coast? Better take a look at these obit pages first. The first is from Clarksburg, WV. The second is from Las Vegas. Notice how long the people in West Virginia lived compared to the ones from Nevada. I've been noticing this for several years now. (I'm not sure but you may have to register with the site in order to view.)

Clarksburg Exponent Telegram Online (http://www.cpubco.com/articles/2007/08/11/obituaries/01.txt - broken link)

reviewjournal.com -- Obituaries (http://www.reviewjournal.com/obituaries/day_display.jsp?passYear=2007&passMonth=7&passDay= 10 - broken link)

Old 08-11-2007, 12:27 PM

229 posts, read 814,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Planning a move to Las Vegas from the east coast? Better take a look at these obit pages first. The first is from Clarksburg, WV. The second is from Las Vegas. Notice how long the people in West Virginia lived compared to the ones from Nevada. I've been noticing this for several years now. (I'm not sure but you may have to register with the site in order to view.)

Clarksburg Exponent Telegram Online (http://www.cpubco.com/articles/2007/08/11/obituaries/01.txt - broken link)

reviewjournal.com -- Obituaries (http://www.reviewjournal.com/obituaries/day_display.jsp?passYear=2007&passMonth=7&passDay= 10 - broken link)
Nonsense! Show me the stat that says people live longer in other places. Poeple live as long here as they do anywhere else. I've got 12 clients right now and each of them is almost 100 (sorry, just doing a forum impression). I remember reading a while ago that we, Las Vegas, was the fattest city in the country. Chalk up another number one for us.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:13 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,409 times
Default Long reply! Apologies in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obadiah64 View Post
I moved here from Connecticut. This place is a horrible place to live. It does not matter what section you are in. The people here are very trashy and uneducated. The cost of living is far higher than what is was in the Norteast and the jobs pay almost slave wages. I strongly encourage anyone to look on the Nevada Department of Labor web pages to see what the prevailing salaries are in the horrible, wicked place.

So when you here people says there a lot of jobs in Las vegas, they are right, a lot of low wage jobs. The average rent is $850 per month and higher.

To wit, this state ranks number 48 in terms of public school education. if you do not want your kids to be educated, then this is the place to come. Moreover, there are more criminals or criminally minded people in this cesspool.

Lets not forget the extreme racism that is pervasive throught out the town. most people, like myself, come here and are under the impression that the place would be a great place to live. But we never stop to realize THAT WE NEVER LEAVE THE STRIP WHEN WE COME HERE ON VACATION.

I challenge anyone who is thinking of moving here to venture away from the strip and see all of the homeless (this state also ranks the highest in this area also).

September 1, 2007 will be two years that I have lived in this pit. I am trying desparately to get back to New England.
I've read this post twice and each time I laughed out loud. While I realize that not everyone will agree with me on this. Everything, and I mean everything that was said couldn't be further from the truth. Every city has bad parts including Hartford where there are fair amounts of homeless just like Vegas. To state that every part is horrible and each person is trashy is ridiculous and simply not true. You think Vegas is bad, go to Atlantic City and go off the boardwalk. Vegas is like Beverly Hills compared to Atlantic City.

To the OP, your challenge is accepted. I will be in town on the 24th, if you want to show me in person all these bad parts, send me a PM. I've been coming here 3 times a year for the last 4 years, I've met some great people here which include taxi drivers, limo drivers, business owners, and other professionals. I joined Silverstone Golf Club and I've played with complete strangers who treated me with courtesy and respect. I've taken my kids to Centennial Hills park where again complete strangers come up to me and talk to me while our kids our playing. Here in DC, my wife took my kids to the park and tried to start conversations with the other parents, none of them would acknowledge her or even say "hi". This area is the by far the most self-absorbed, rudest area. Vegas doesn't even come close.

Again, I've yet to see a homeless person in Vegas. Yet, if I go to a Orioles game in Baltimore, I come across at least 10 homeless people from the parking lot to Camden Yards. When I drive to Nationals games in DC, I drive under several bridges that are "tent cities" for the homeless, usually 10 or more are in each city. The statement that the cost of living in the Northeast is cheaper than Vegas is also way incorrect, studio apartments in DC start at $1,000/month and are more if you live close to a Metro station. Try finding an apartment in NYC for less than $850. Go to Boston and see how much the cost of living is there, Vegas is pennies on the dollar. Going back, I will correct myself a little and say that salaries are not as high in Las Vegas as the Northeast or DC; however, Vegas #1 industry is hospitality. It is not a financial hub like NYC or Philly, it's not a government hub like DC and that's the difference.

Going to crime, Vegas crime is a joke. How often has Metro put EVERY officer on the streets because of the crime. The answer is never because crime is low compared to DC which has put every officer on the street 3 times this year because of all the shootings that happen each and every night. Once again, DC along with PG county and Baltimore in Maryland will have over 300 murders EACH, tell me how many murders have occurred in Vegas? Vegas gets the occasional shooting like the one in front of New York-New York. DC has that every night, that's the difference.

Racism, you're joking right? To what extent has there been racism? Again, I've yet to see one instance of racism in Vegas. No city in America is perfect including Vegas, but to state that it's the worst city simply is incorrect and I'll be more than happy to prove that to anyone that wants to take me up on that challenge. My house will be ready in October, but I'm coming out early to get a job, play some golf at Silverstone, and get to know more people in the area. The people here are more real and personable than what I've got here in DC.

To the OP, I wish you good luck in your endeavor to get back to New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas