Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:58 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times

Advertisements

my best one was phoenix $9 a day before taxes... they ran out of the small cars.. so for $9, i was driving a explorer... more gas but much nicer..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 02:21 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
and there isn't much out there decent for 3-4k.. unless of course, you would accept a car like lvd's (no offense lvd).... personally i wouldn't
Quote:
$1000 buys absolute GARBAGE here... $1000 buys plain old garbage in Ohio.... You need about $5k to play and even then you are buying high mileage.... Of course you can always get the 15yr old p.o.s for around 1500. but you'll be fixing it.

The only "cheap" late model car that i've seen at the auctions lately are PT Cruisers.... not a terrible car.. pretty decent actually for an american car... You can be in a 3yr old convertible for under 10k.....

Even the 2003 Kia's with 100k plus are doing over $3500 at the dealer sale...

Over 10k, you can steal one.... I bought a 2004 Vette today for 15k... Books out in the low 20s...
I do not take offense, but I disagree with what you said. My car might be cosmetically ugly, even horrifically, but I never have trouble with it. I am not "fixing it" as you say. I only paid $500 for it 4 years ago and it has been a 5 day a week daily driver to work while being literally as reliable as a new car. Not even once has it broken down on me.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I do not take offense, but I disagree with what you said. My car might be cosmetically ugly, even horrifically, but I never have trouble with it. I am not "fixing it" as you say. I only paid $500 for it 4 years ago and it has been a 5 day a week daily driver to work while being literally as reliable as a new car. Not even once has it broken down on me.
you are one of the lucky ones.... but remember the car that you just purchased??

Old 07-22-2011, 02:50 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
you are one of the lucky ones.... but remember the car that you just purchased??
Unfortunately the 1993 Subaru Legacy was a total POS as you said. I paid $720 for it on Ebay. That was all on me though as I bought it sight unseen in which the seller totally lied to me. That is the last time I ever do that again.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:16 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,268 times
Someone suggested I go to a Auto auction, that I can find a decent (working and cheap) car for a few thousand $, Next time I am in town, I am looking into it, I know I have seen some a few recommended mechanics on the site.

Jonathan

Old 07-22-2011, 03:18 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Quote:
and NO ONE wants to steal it.....

Theres something to be said for ugly cars

Old 07-22-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately the 1993 Subaru Legacy was a total POS as you said. I paid $720 for it on Ebay. That was all on me though as I bought it sight unseen in which the seller totally lied to me. That is the last time I ever do that again.
actually i read the listing... it said the car was only driven in the lot... it was being sold for storage.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Someone suggested I go to a Auto auction, that I can find a decent (working and cheap) car for a few thousand $, Next time I am in town, I am looking into it, I know I have seen some a few recommended mechanics on the site.

Jonathan
a few thousand doesn't buy you a good car..even at a dealer only auction

Old 07-22-2011, 05:22 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
A few yrs ago I went to Henderson Chevrolet. told them I have 5k to spend, I want a low milage mini or midsized truck. I dont care what it looks like and dont care the year but 5K out the door including taxes.
The brough out a 97 dodge dakota king cab....price in excellant contidion according to kelly was 10 K. Paint sucked so they discounted it to 7500. at 75oo the back wouldnt finance 100% with no down and people that want something of that year dont have money to put down....so they were gonna wholesale it....they expected to get 3500 for it....they said if you want to pay 5K its yours.

I pulled the money out and we did the deal....6K with 53k miles on it. 8 yrs later I gave it to my grandson with 78k miles on it

Old 07-22-2011, 06:36 PM

140 posts, read 277,622 times
I have sort of the opposite problem to yours, Macgeek. I live in NY most of the time now, but in 2009 when I was in LV most of the time, I drove my 1991 Camry to Vegas. Now it has a new alternator, new hoses, new radiator and several other items. It's basically cost me about $3000 over two and a half years, not including insurance and registration. Anyway the car has 123,000 miles on it and with all the new parts, it should go a lot further. I take good care of it and check fluids often, use synth oil etc. I think it will need a new belt for the a/c soon (makes a noise like a flapping sound lol). I'm tempted to sell it but I am wondering if I could get more for it at a chop shop than through a traditional sale. I understand these old Toyotas are often stolen for parts, so that got me thinking of maybe selling the parts myself! Don't know if that is legal--I'd have to look into it. Anyone know?

I'm toying with selling it (ha ha) so I can cancel my insurance, which runs about $850/year. My other choice is to drive it back to NY . I think it's too old though. Plus the weather has been so bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: