Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 02:03 AM

579 posts, read 1,206,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
People in Vegas have repeatedly shown that they don't want to pay for something they themselves won't use. To almost epidemic proportions
You hit the nail on the head. I remember around 1999, not sure of the exact time or year, they were pushing for funds for a new children's hosital and I was amazed at the people picketing and biatching on the news as if this were a personal offence to them, should it be built. They were so vocally offended at the idea of having it here...that's when I realized the families in the valley were simply outnumbered by all the retirees or transplants or just people in general that wouldn't be themselves using it. It's been this way with many things in the valley, be it a school, park, or anything else. It's very me, me, me, me. It wasn't always this way. I grew up here in the 70s and 80s and remember a much stronger community spirit. I still think the medical school should be moved from UNR to UNLV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 05:27 AM

270 posts, read 533,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag08 View Post
I am a student at UNLV. Unfortunately, because of layoffs, UNLV is in danger of becoming even a lower-ranked school than it already is. A representative came in and discussed how Google and IKEA were looking to locate corporate offices here in Vegas, but were turned off by the lack of decent prospective employees and were worried that none of their current employees would want to relocate here because of the poor educational system for their families.

Excellent point! Those who think working to create a high-performing, well-regarded, successful university program in Vegas is a waste of time are misguided. Few family-minded people want to raise their children in a dump with few opportunities for a good education. Why is that so hard for some to understand.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
People in Vegas have repeatedly shown that they don't want to pay for something they themselves won't use. To almost epidemic proportions. Whether there should be a better university or not isn't worth arguing, if there ever was a way to fund education better there would be a dozen "citizens" groups protesting and trying to get a ballot measure to reverse the decision. They would characterize it as either a payoff to the teachers unions or as an unfair tax increase.

The fact that people have mostly moved to LV from somewhere else isn't an excuse either. Phoenix has the same demographic of mostly people born elsewhere and yet they support decent education and the countless retirees there don't threaten civil action against taxes used for education. It is purely a Vegas attitude and that is just not going to change. If you want better schools for yourself or your kids, you just have to accept the schooling is going to happen elsewhere. If I had kids and was still living in Nevada I'd be saving up some money to send them out of state.
We shall see. After years living and teaching on the east coast, I begin teaching in Vegas this fall. I've met a number of people living in Vegas and raising families there and very, very few who are not extremely dedicated to garnering the best possible education for their children.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:03 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,416,192 times
Of course....everyone wants it. It's just that no one wants to pay for it.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:05 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,416,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecnj View Post
We shall see. After years living and teaching on the east coast, I begin teaching in Vegas this fall. I've met a number of people living in Vegas and raising families there and very, very few who are not extremely dedicated to garnering the best possible education for their children.
I so look forward to your posts...after the LV teaching experience begins.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:57 AM

11,154 posts, read 15,931,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
You need a reality check first. Las Vegas attracts bottom 10% from all over US and around the world. Last thing on they minds is education. This is the town where folks can't read and write, folks without any manners or any culture. 95% of them are all after material things and few of them would read a book on their free time. Just look at their names here, LV Drunk and others. You really think person like this cares about education???? This city is dedicated for them and not for ambitious and intelligent folks with higher education. This is the city full of dishwashers, bellman's, servers, bartenders, cocktail waitress's, strippers, hookers, drunks, junkies and etc. Those films can care less for education, for them materialistic things come first and chasing the broken dream.
Given the poor sentence structure and numerous grammatical errors throughout your post, one can conclusively and unequivocally conclude that you yourself do not fall within the ambit of the highlighted populace subset.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:21 AM

968 posts, read 2,057,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frischee112 View Post
I believe we need prestigious schools. One for business, law, and politics and another for science, literature, and the arts. I know there are already some higher education but nothing really worth mentioning. Who agrees?
\\

...but it is more important to have low taxes. That seems to be the prevailing thought if you scan most of these threads. After all look at the vast number of businesses that Nevada is attracting in its quest for diversification.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:27 AM

968 posts, read 2,057,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
You hit the nail on the head. I remember around 1999, not sure of the exact time or year, they were pushing for funds for a new children's hosital and I was amazed at the people picketing and biatching on the news as if this were a personal offence to them, should it be built. They were so vocally offended at the idea of having it here...that's when I realized the families in the valley were simply outnumbered by all the retirees or transplants or just people in general that wouldn't be themselves using it. It's been this way with many things in the valley, be it a school, park, or anything else. It's very me, me, me, me. It wasn't always this way. I grew up here in the 70s and 80s and remember a much stronger community spirit. I still think the medical school should be moved from UNR to UNLV.
The medical school does not need to be moved. Another can be developed as is currently being done in Washington State. Nevada, especially Las Vegas has grown to support another medical school.
I know several retired folk who live part time or are thinking of retiring elsewhere from Seattle, but their primary concern about Las Vegas is medical care.
Developing another medical school will cost but...

Old 07-25-2011, 08:39 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,084,689 times
I would think upgrading UNLV to or above the level of UNR should be the first step.

The medical school should be the first target. Simply move the class that begins in say 2015 to UNLV.

Follow that up with the major graduate schools. Move UNR to the appropriate status as a secondary feeder college. If budgets must tighten simply take the lions share from UNR and protect UNLV.

I see no reason why the south should play second fiddle to the north...

Old 07-25-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I so look forward to your posts...after the LV teaching experience begins.

I've taught in a desperate area of urban NYC, affluent suburbs of New Jersey (both public and private school). We'll see what Vegas throws my way. I'm no newbie to teaching, so I bring with me some experience. I don't give up on kids, so I find wherever I'm teaching I do my best. Doubt Vegas can show me anything that So. Bronx NYC hasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: