Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 12:13 AM

6 posts, read 44,393 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was involved in a minor traffic accident with a delivery truck inside a private property. Hence even though the police arrived, they did not write up any report.

The other driver had accepted his fault, and provided his insurance details. However, when I called the insurance company, it turned out the insurance info he provided at that time were of the truck leasing company's insurance. The company that had rented the truck and employed him to drive it had taken their own insurance on the truck. On contacting the renter company, they are delaying providing their insurance company's details.

Could that be on purpose? What are the options available to me? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 04:49 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Get an attorney. There are plenty of accident lawyers who work on a contingency basis. Call them ambulance chasers, say anything mean about them you want to -- there are times you need a hammer.

I had a very unsatisfactory experience with being reimbursed for an accident that was the fault of a teenage driver. (Certainly couldn't have been my fault -- I wasn't even there when he hit my legally parked car.) I wasn't injured, but I was out plenty not only for near-totaled car repairs, but for extra issues related to the tow company his insurance company called to the scene (among other things, they stole my license plate). I will never go through that again. If it's the other person's fault, they won't be hearing from me, they'll be hearing from an attorney representing me.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:57 AM

687 posts, read 1,944,822 times
Report it yo your insurance with all the details. They will pay to have your car fixed and then collect from the other company.

Good Luck,
Croce

Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2k1 View Post
Hi,

I was involved in a minor traffic accident with a delivery truck inside a private property. Hence even though the police arrived, they did not write up any report.

I have a lot of experience with this -- from the other side of the fence. No police report was written. No damages. No injuries. No problems, right?

Wrong!

After the dust settled from the lawsuit, I was out about $20,000. ALWAYS get a police report. Insist upon it.

If it happened recently, get the cop who told you "the report wasn't necessary" and insist that it IS. Doesn't matter that the accident happened on private property.

If I were to murder someone on private property, would they give it a pass? An infraction is an infraction, no matter where it happens. And the police report will not only protect you, it will protect the person who hit you -- his or her insurance is more likely to pay your claim with some form of documentation. Otherwise, you have to take the lawyer route.

(For the most part, attorneys are only interested in traffic accidents if there is an injury involved. If there is only damage to your vehicle, they won't touch the case. Not enough money in it for them.)

Old 07-26-2011, 09:09 AM

322 posts, read 565,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Get an attorney. There are plenty of accident lawyers who work on a contingency basis. Call them ambulance chasers, say anything mean about them you want to -- there are times you need a hammer.

I had a very unsatisfactory experience with being reimbursed for an accident that was the fault of a teenage driver. (Certainly couldn't have been my fault -- I wasn't even there when he hit my legally parked car.) I wasn't injured, but I was out plenty not only for near-totaled car repairs, but for extra issues related to the tow company his insurance company called to the scene (among other things, they stole my license plate). I will never go through that again. If it's the other person's fault, they won't be hearing from me, they'll be hearing from an attorney representing me.
Why such a hurry to spend money on an attorney?

OP called the accident "minor", police were there but made no report, so it appears we are talking fender bender with no injuries. A delivery driver employee has no knowledge of company admin structure and probably just gave him whatever insurance info he came across in the glove box. It appears OP still has communication and is getting the proper insurance info through the company offices. There is no indication yet they are trying to deny fault or the claim. Dealing with a business is nothing like your experience in dealing with teens.

Wait until a problem develops before potentially wasting money on an attorney for a petty matter. Also I doubt the OP can find an attorney to take the case on a contingency percentage if the only damages sought is the amount to repair a "fender bender" type accident. He could easily spend more on an attorney than the amount of the damages.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:48 AM

322 posts, read 565,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
No damages. No injuries. No problems, right?

Wrong!

After the dust settled from the lawsuit, I was out about $20,000.
What was the claim of the lawsuit? Why didn't your insurance company either pay the claim or pay to defend you under your liability coverage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
If it happened recently, get the cop who told you "the report wasn't necessary" and insist that it IS. Doesn't matter that the accident happened on private property.

If I were to murder someone on private property, would they give it a pass? An infraction is an infraction, no matter where it happens.
Murder is a criminal act. Accidentally backing into a car in a parking lot is not... it is a civil claim matter. You are comparing apples and oranges. You can insist on a police report all you want, but generally the police will not write a report on private property unless there are injuries or additional circumstances to indicate a possible criminal act. As another example, in areas during ice/snow storms, police usually refuse to even respond to vehicle accidents unless there are injuries or a public safety threat and publicly announce they won't respond to minor accidents. On minor accidents, they tell you to exchange info and move on. The point is, getting a police report is not always an option.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:17 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
hmmmmmm Quite possibly the reason why one should ALWAYS carry Full coverage or be prepared to eat the repairs

Old 07-26-2011, 10:24 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV2ndHome View Post
What was the claim of the lawsuit? Why didn't your insurance company either pay the claim or pay to defend you under your liability coverage?
Six years and 360 days after the "accident," the woman sued me for injuries. Nobody was "able to reach me" to serve notice, despite the fact I lived in a town of 8,000 people and had lived at the same address for 12 years. So, she sued an empty chair and won a massive judgement.

10 years after the "accident," they miraculously found me and garnished my wages. I had shredded anything that might have helped my case three years before -- I shredded everything after 7 years. Now I wait 10.

So, that's when I had to hire an attorney and fight the judgement. I "won" but it cost me $20K in fees and settlement money.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Practically not a lawyer matter. If minor have it fixed and send the outfit the bill. If they or their insurance does not pay take it to small claims court.

It generally is not wise to file an insurance claim for small sums. I maintain a high deductible and would not file a claim under $2,000.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:22 AM

6 posts, read 44,393 times
Thanks for all the responses.

So far the company has been fair and decent with me. Just that they have not provided me the insurance info yet and I am just wanting to know all my options expecting the worse.

My car is a 1997 Camry and with the current market value I choose to only have the other person covered. The repair that is required is about $2000 (about 75% of the current value of the car)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas