U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Moving to Nevada: Las Vegas, market, realtor, property management, traffic, condo.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 01:53 AM

2,404 posts, read 7,496,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
yeah...i saw plenty in that range when i was looking (check out craigslist), but w/ my dogs i needed a yard (and therefore an elevated rent)
we also have a yard as well, since we also have a dog, so the rent can still be in that range, check out REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 01:54 AM

2,404 posts, read 7,496,451 times
She's originally from Detroit, came to Henderson, and is now in Port Orange, Florida...

Old 08-14-2007, 02:23 AM

8,819 posts, read 15,321,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
it won't be too difficult for you to find what you want, we are in a duplex, with a pool, walking trail, washer/dryer, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths for 850 a month...there's just no fitness center...
Now that's a good price for an apt in Vegas. And in a good area. Some people pay that much or more in a crappy area.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:14 AM

11,553 posts, read 20,487,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post
Thanks soooo much for reminding me to think of my daughter's interest. I would have NEVER done it had you not suggested.
Have any of the "haters" of Vegas EVER thought about the statement "different strokes for different folks"? Every place isn't for everyone. Clearly Vegas wasn't for you and the others. That is not to say that it won't be for me. That's also not to say that it will be. However when you hear people who only have negative things to say ALL the time you tend to think... hmmm why are they so bitter about EVERYTHING!!! You mention water here come the haters... Vegas water sucks it's the worst water in the world. Mention housing ... OOOOHHH Vegas housing sucks it's the worst in the world. Oh Lord please don't mention diversity....... gonna send one of the haters into a meltdown!!!! lol
I do not have rose colored glasses on. Don't know where that came from. I'm pretty sure my post was full of questions regarding employment and housing. Nothing about skipping through the dessert with the rosed colored sun glasses on!! ha ha ha "IF" I move there and hate it I'm pretty sure I will still be able to find something positive about Vegas, even if it's the fact that I got out!!! ha ha ha How can EVERY single thing some people say be negative? They just have to be negative people to start with! SO maybe they should get from under the continual rain clouds!!! lol
Your posts have all been very intelligent and I hope you do get a job to your liking here because if anyone else is going to move here, let it be nice, bright, and Iím sure, talented people like you. I am not a Realtor. I've maintained a residence here since 1964, and in all that time you'd think I was part of the Chamber of Commerce. I've always bragged ad nauseum about what a wonderful place Las Vegas is to live. My wife and I love to show people the sights, not only in town, but out away from town also. It is to our detriment to brag about Las Vegas though as we never wanted to see the unbridled growth that is ruining all of our beautiful desert, and paving over all our favorite places to go to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. But it is hard not to brag about this town. We have so much here to enjoy that most other cities can only dream about. The negative remarks that I hear on this forum are exaggerated beyond believe. I feel sorry for the people who post them...well, not too sorry...but it is sad that they just don't get it; they don't see the good, the beauty, and the freedom that we old timers are trying to hold onto while the world comes moving in on us and trying to change everything to be like the place they hated so much that they had to get away. People seem to forget that Las Vegas is only one town in one of the largest, most spectacular states in the country. It is about 650 square miles out of 110,000 total for Nevada. The Las Vegas Strip is a spectacular achievement that most other cities in the whole world can only envy, but there is more than that here. The Strip, and downtown, has given us all the other good things that we have to brag about, except for the bounty of natural wonders that has been bestowed on this beautiful place. Sure there are negatives. Arenít there everywhere? But 11,000 homeless, who mostly want to live that way, are a small portion of the 1.8 million that live in Clark County or the 2.5 million in the state. Any population or group in the world will have 20% that try to ruin things for the other 80%, and 2Ĺ% will be actual criminals to stay away from. I do not believe that Las Vegas has any more crime than it should have statistically for 1.8 million people. We have always known that since we deal in so much cash that there are those who come to Las Vegas to try to get rich by ripping somebody off. Most of the crime here seems to have been imported and most of that came from LA where there is a real crime problem. A lot of it came from the eastern states too, including Ohio and even my small home state of West Virginia. But most people here are just like people everywhere. We have a unique city with a unique appeal that attracts 5,000 to 7,000 new people every month. If 3,000 of them are leaving then how is it that Las Vegas has grown 10 x since the 1960s, with almost all of that growth in the last twenty years? Going from 180,000 to 1,800,000 since I moved here hasnít exactly made me happy; but even all that growth has resulted in a lot of great things we never had before, and before that this was still the best city in the country to live in, as it is now. I have a wonderful daughter that was raised in this town and she has a wonderful daughter that she is raising with all the same great values that you would find in any American community.

So keep hanging out here while you plan your move and look for a job; and ignore the negative BSers. Youíll love Las Vegas and I bet Las Vegas will love you. Youíll do well here. If you donít, you can do what I said about it when I came here; ďIf it doesnít work out I can always go back homeĒ. So far itís worked out OK...but you never know.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:23 AM

1,758 posts, read 2,499,854 times
Great post, right on the money!

Old 08-14-2007, 01:43 PM

12,252 posts, read 17,093,938 times
Movin2Vegas...Buzz is right on. Don't put too much faith is us negative BSers. I would definitely defer to someone that resides there over someone that doesn't. He and Olecapt are the absolute two best on this LV forum...a wealth and treasure of info. I definitely defer to them.

Buzz...since movin2 does have a 7-year old child, I would hope that schools would be a concern and priority. How was the school experience for your daughter and grandaughter? Did they go public or private? Also, since LV was probably a much different LV when your daughter went to school, how does it compare with your grandchild's experience.

As always, thanks.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:28 PM

11,553 posts, read 20,487,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Movin2Vegas...Buzz is right on. Don't put too much faith is us negative BSers. I would definitely defer to someone that resides there over someone that doesn't. He and Olecapt are the absolute two best on this LV forum...a wealth and treasure of info. I definitely defer to them.

Buzz...since movin2 does have a 7-year old child, I would hope that schools would be a concern and priority. How was the school experience for your daughter and granddaughter? Did they go public or private? Also, since LV was probably a much different LV when your daughter went to school, how does it compare with your grandchild's experience.

As always, thanks.
My daughter has been a teacher in the Clark County School District for several years. CCSD is the 5th largest school district in the country, so there must be some "good" schools here. After all, look at all the successful and important people who went to school in Las Vegas. When my daughter started school in the first grade at Ruby Thomas it was considered one of the top ten schools in the country. I don't know how good it is now, but I do know the neighborhood has deteriorated too much for me to send a kid there now. My granddaughter just turned four last month. At the present time my daughter plans to send her to private school when she is old enough. I don't really know if Las Vegas schools are any better or worse than in any other city, but it is obvious that there really are no "good" schools anywhere; so I would not base my decision on moving to Las Vegas on whether the schools were good or bad. They are no different than schools any place else. Just more of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas