Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:50 PM

13 posts, read 26,756 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, Let me share my situation here with you.
I moved here about two months ago from Boston and I can't wait another minute to go home.

My wife and I packed up all our things, the dog, and took two friends for the cross country trip, and were on our way to "fabulous" Las Vegas. What a mistake. The trip alone was a disaster which should have been a good sign. I hate it.

It took all of a month to realize what a huge mistake I made. No one told me you can't do a damn thing without knowing someone here. With eleven years of experience in my field I managed to find a bull**** job for $12/hr. I'm packing my things as we speak.

No one here wants anything to do with you unless you can do something for them or they can make some money off of you. What a bunch of materialistic pieces of garbage.

The weather sucks in Boston. The prices of houses are much higher than in Vegas. But here's the thing... The people in Boston are human. They're friendly. They're respectful. There's a sense of family, friendship, morals and honor. None of which are here in Vegas.

Pardon the expression but... Screw Vegas... I'm going home to shovel snow in winter and be happy again.

My wife doesn't think we've given it a good enough try and I can't spend another minute here if I want to keep my sanity. All I have to say is this horrible city better not jeopardize my marriage.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:53 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,681,847 times
Oh boy another person blames his mistake on other people. Why cant people just take responsibility for what they did and stop blaming everyone around them? In this case the "people of Vegas" was the culprit. Some people might think the $12 an hour is a blessing just to have a job! When I moved here I started at the bottom of the pile and worked my way up! Do people do that sort of thing anymore?

Old 08-04-2011, 04:57 PM

901 posts, read 1,890,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa702 View Post
oh boy another person blames his mistake on other people. Why cant people just take responsibility for what they did and stop blaming everyone around them?
+1

Old 08-04-2011, 05:03 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,052,916 times
It is interesting. When I had been here a couple of months I still had not found my way past the local supermarket any more into deep analysis of the motivation and ethics of the population.

Starting at $12 an hour ain't bad. Hell we got three or four posters here who would love 12 an hour. Then if you got a skill or two you work it around until you get something a little better.

Same old people here as in southern CA and upstate NY. Vary in intelligence, ethics, charm and the normal range of things. Just like back east.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:13 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,922,685 times
$12 isn't a BS job for a first job in LV.

Just thought I'd point that out before this thread gets deleted.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:16 PM

This city with this type of people is not for me, actually I have never experienced anything like it. I need to save my marriage and my family before isn't too late. I just hope that other people don't make a same mistake that I did. Boston city is a 5 star hotel compared to this place. The thing I find that I hate most about Vegas is the transient nature of everyone here. There are very little locals, by that I mean born here. So most everyone here is from somewhere else and with that comes cultural isolation. There is NO sense of community. Everyone lives in their own little cave of security and knows only a handful of people, usually from their place of employment. Neighbors don't talk to each other. Nobody says "hello" to strangers. And this sense of isolation keeps people from giving a **** about each other and this leads to crime, neighborhood degradation, etc. It's ugly here, and this town has really nothing to offer.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
$12 isn't a BS job for a first job in LV.

Just thought I'd point that out before this thread gets deleted.
Why should this thread be deleted????? I'm just sharing with everyone here thru what nightmare I'm going thru right now in my life. I made a big mistake in my life, maybe someone else will find this thread helpful in deciding to move or not to move here.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:22 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,965,189 times
To a certain degree people are different in other places and the culture in every place is different. So the op is right. People make up the culture in that city.

Op, I couldn't live in Vegas either.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:25 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,965,189 times
And let's get real people, who can live on $12 an hour.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:31 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,327,089 times
Sounds like pure sour grapes to me. OP didn't do any homework prior to coming here to see whether the city would be a good fit, sorry that it didn't work out but the reasons listed are pure BS. Been here for over 4 years and people here are tons more friendly and real than what I encountered back in DC with their Stepford-like attitudes.

It's reasons like this I have said for years, spend some time here before making the big move. There is no utopia anywhere in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas