U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:16 PM

2,502 posts, read 5,725,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
So, my concern with the wind is the dust. Son has mild asthma. Does it cause asthma to flare or does it hit quick and then gone within minutes? Around here tornado weather comes barreling in about 60 miles an hour and makes you look for Toto for about ten minutes, then it is gone. Is that the way the wind is there? Or does it blow all day long?
Not to be annoying with the maps (can't help it, I'm a map person!), but you may like looking at this allergy map. It updates the allergen forecast each day.

To see the relation between wind and allergies in the valley, you could chart the results of the wind map for several different days, as well as the results of the allergen map for those same days, to see exactly how much worse allergens are on the windy days. Then you could compare to your hometown.

Could be an interesting little project.

Las Vegas, NV weather and forecast information on WeatherBug.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 09:51 PM

719 posts, read 782,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Not to be annoying with the maps (can't help it, I'm a map person!), but you may like looking at this allergy map. It updates the allergen forecast each day.

To see the relation between wind and allergies in the valley, you could chart the results of the wind map for several different days, as well as the results of the allergen map for those same days, to see exactly how much worse allergens are on the windy days. Then you could compare to your hometown.

Could be an interesting little project.

Las Vegas, NV weather and forecast information on WeatherBug.com

ahhh thanks!!

Old 08-02-2011, 02:21 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,312,217 times
Wind = Free Electricity

A revolutionary way of harnessing wind power for renewable energy...

Vibro-Wind Piezoelectric Pads Harness Wind Energy Without Turbines | Inhabitat - Green Design Will Save the World

Old 08-02-2011, 07:59 AM

3,156 posts, read 3,262,628 times
Wind Cube by Liao-Hsun Chen and Wen-Chih Chang Yanko Design

Old 08-02-2011, 10:25 AM

11,351 posts, read 19,471,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
Wind = Free Electricity

A revolutionary way of harnessing wind power for renewable energy...

Vibro-Wind Piezoelectric Pads Harness Wind Energy Without Turbines | Inhabitat - Green Design Will Save the World
That's pretty interesting. I wonder if you could use those to power electric vehicles?

Of course the real problem of alternative energy is that the Utility Companies, plus oil, gas, and coal companies, have such a huge vested interest in keeping things the way they are.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:47 PM

697 posts, read 556,567 times
Quote:
oh, man, that is going to be hard. I will just hope it doesn't bother him too much. His asthma is pretty mild now. When he was a child it was worse, but he has never had to do breathing treatments at home etc... had one or two a year at the ER though. For the past few years, no problems, AND he smokes. (I know, I know, stupid, but he won't listen).
I have very severe asthma/allergies, so bad I was in the hospital last month because of it. Never had a problem the 19 years I lived in Las Vegas. I come back to So CA & have nothing but problems, non stop! You would think it would be bad in NV with all the dust, but, no. I never really noticed the wind to be so bad when we lived there 4 years ago & I am not a big fan of wind. It's kind of nice when it's hot in the summer , though(IMO).
I just quite smoking 1 1/2 months ago, when I got sick!! It did teach me though, I'll never smoke again. I would smoke & then use my inhaler right after! If that's not stupid then I don't know what is.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
I have very severe asthma/allergies, so bad I was in the hospital last month because of it. Never had a problem the 19 years I lived in Las Vegas. I come back to So CA & have nothing but problems, non stop! You would think it would be bad in NV with all the dust, but, no. I never really noticed the wind to be so bad when we lived there 4 years ago & I am not a big fan of wind. It's kind of nice when it's hot in the summer , though(IMO).
I just quite smoking 1 1/2 months ago, when I got sick!! It did teach me though, I'll never smoke again. I would smoke & then use my inhaler right after! If that's not stupid then I don't know what is.
I am glad you quit. My son's doctor told him this:
When he sees patients that do not have asthma and they smoke he doesn't nag them too much, because he believes research indicates only 15 percent of smokers without asthma develop some type of cancer. BUT, a full 85 percent of smokers that DO have asthma do develop some type of cancer.
(I don't know if this is true, but this is what the doctor told my son) so he nags and nags him to quit. So far, deaf ears.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:48 PM

559 posts, read 294,925 times
Quote:
I keep reading about the Las Vegas wind. It's not that I am opposed to wind, but I do like to be prepared. So, for you locals, and soon to be locals (waving at Mac Geek), are we talking about daily wind conditions that will tear the door off a car when opened or as in, softly blow my hair in the breeze as though on the set of a romantic movie? Or somewhere in between? Inquiring minds want to know.
My Dad gauged a high wind by listening for the rattle of the chain hung off the steel pole in the back of the house. He insisted that wind was tested at WSMR (he was a machinist there [near here: tularosa nm - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/3p4staz - broken link) ]). It doesn't get that windy here.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:07 AM

11,194 posts, read 9,170,166 times
Average annual wind speeds:

Las Vegas: 9.2MPH
Phoenix/L.A: 6.2MPH (lowest big city wind speeds in the country)
Tucson: 8.3MPH
San Francisco: 8.5MPH
Chicago: 10.5MPH
Boston: 12.5MPH
Cheyenne, WY: 13.5MPH

Medford, OR: Lowest in the nation @ 4.5MPH

Less wind, more air pollution, more wind, clearer skies! If Las Vegas had Medford's 4.5MPH wind speeds, we would rarely even get a glimpse of the surrounding mountains here!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Average annual wind speeds:

Las Vegas: 9.2MPH
Phoenix/L.A: 6.2MPH (lowest big city wind speeds in the country)
Tucson: 8.3MPH
San Francisco: 8.5MPH
Chicago: 10.5MPH
Boston: 12.5MPH
Cheyenne, WY: 13.5MPH

Medford, OR: Lowest in the nation @ 4.5MPH

Less wind, more air pollution, more wind, clearer skies! If Las Vegas had Medford's 4.5MPH wind speeds, we would rarely even get a glimpse of the surrounding mountains here!
Thanks. I had no idea Boston was so windy. Where did you get this information? I would like to check Nashville so I know by comparison to where I am now, how Las Vegas will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas