Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:02 PM

719 posts, read 1,479,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikiman View Post
My friends I can't believe how blind you are and how you keep ignoring the simple facts about this place. Maybe you have been living here for so long and you have adapted to this lifestyle and this soundings but I can't accept to die young in this city and I'm choosing life and sanity first. There is and will probably never be ANY sense of community here. 90% of the people here are from somewhere else. If you make appointments with other people concerning business or personal matters,
don't expect them to even show up for it, let alone return a phone call, or even a cancellation. I have NEVER encountered people who are more flake-y than here in Vegas. If you like to be behind someone who is intoxicated and/or smoking in the vehicle ahead of you while you are driving then this is the place for you. The two biggest streams of income for the Bail Bondsmen here are that of Domestic Violence and D.U.I.'s There are a lot of "white trash okie" types that come in from Arkansas, Missouri, etc, as well as the locals. And to the locals who are here, you will never be part of the mix here. The gas is not much cheaper that of other places, and neither is the food. The health care sucks, the cops can be *******s. There is nothing to do here for someone under 21 neither. Many of the all-ages venues have closed up or have been driven out of business. The gaming industry has that town by the balls. Drugs and Alcohol are a BIG problem in Vegas. There are other observations that I could probably come up with but that's what comes to mind now.
Okay, after reading this far, I have an idea what happened. (Said very gently). It sounds like your wife likes it here, maybe a little too much. Sounds like she made a friend and this friend is male. Sounds like she may have started hanging out in places you don't like, perhaps doing things you don't approve of and you are freaking out that your marriage is about to fail.
Relax! Nothing is permanent except the big dirt nap. You don't have to stay in Vegas. Do exactly what you are doing. Pack up and go home and save your marriage. But don't blame a city for issues that actually stem from issues you and your wife have had.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:21 PM

293 posts, read 641,529 times
Now I have it...yesterday he was untoldstory, got shut down for putting up about 5 threads in 5 min about hating everyone in Las Vegas.....Then he came back as Ontoldstory and called out the mods and everyone else...the day before he was some other freak name doing the same thing with about 6 threads in 3 min, all about the losers of Vegas...All along he is looking into the mirror and letting us all know what he clearly thinks of himself...I am now going to take my moronic, sluty, dumb, gambling, pruney, billhilly, bad attitude, smokin, lowlife, degenerate, broke alcoholic butt over to the ugly, eye sore, dump we call home and maybe un/ontoldstory and whatever he calls himself tomorrow will disappear back to Boston with his tail between his legs and sai I am sorry to everyone there for saying the same thing when he left to become the next Trump in Vegas!!!!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:28 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,755 times
Quote:
Anyone thinking of moving here? Please, take my advice and DON'T DO IT! Spending a few days in Las Vegas is MUCH DIFFERENT than living here. It's not so much the heat, it's the illusion of Las Vegas. This whole city is insane. In the end what did I get for my mid-life crisis. I had a decent job back I Boston but wanted to try something different and wanted to afford good size home. Wow, what a mistake.
I get that you've decided Vegas doesn't work for you, but what does that have to do with anyone else?

I guess I should list my circumstances, so anyone that fits mine more than yours can take my advice and MOVE TO VEGAS!...or don't. Better advice would be to weigh your options and consider what your priorities are. Maybe I didn't share your illusion (please elaborate what it was)? Some of my circumstances:
  • Been here 1.5 years, love it.
  • Girlfriend and I both secured professional jobs before moving here.
  • DINKs, so we don't care about schools
  • Came with 20% down payment for a house, got 500% the house we could have bought compared to back home. Also with a mortgage payment cheaper than rent.
  • Came from Utah where neighbors talk to each other, but only as much as they do here (so not at all according to you?). Maybe it is an East coast thing. I have to squeeze in time to do things with friends and people from work that want to go out, so not being best buds with my neighbors isn't a factor for me.
  • GF and I don't do drugs or gamble, social drinkers only.
  • GF and I both love the heat. Last summer was quite a bit hotter (it seems) than this, but we never got bummed out from the heat. 7 months per year of winter in Utah makes me depressed and solidified a hatred of snow.
  • Came from a commuter state so living in the suburbs and driving downtown or to the strip isn't an issue.
Since moving here we have met a ton of nice people, but most we met from work settings. We know about a dozen people in our gated neighborhood (due to neighborhood get-togethers and an online neighborhood forum). Despite this, we are closer to non-neighbor friends and co-workers than neighbors.

I'm guessing you are a "glass half empty" and "the world has done me wrong" kind of guy. You moved to Vegas, you didn't like it and now you should move somewhere else and hopefully learned a lesson. From your rants I get that you feel underemployed. Next time you make a major move, get the career or job you want first, then move. Problem solved.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,310 times
Quote:
Hello everyone, Let me share my situation here with you.
I moved here about two months ago from Boston and I can't wait another minute to go home.

My wife and I packed up all our things, the dog, and took two friends for the cross country trip, and were on our way to "fabulous" Las Vegas. What a mistake. The trip alone was a disaster which should have been a good sign. I hate it.

It took all of a month to realize what a huge mistake I made. No one told me you can't do a damn thing without knowing someone here. With eleven years of experience in my field I managed to find a bull**** job for $12/hr. I'm packing my things as we speak.

No one here wants anything to do with you unless you can do something for them or they can make some money off of you. What a bunch of materialistic pieces of garbage.

The weather sucks in Boston. The prices of houses are much higher than in Vegas. But here's the thing... The people in Boston are human. They're friendly. They're respectful. There's a sense of family, friendship, morals and honor. None of which are here in Vegas.

Pardon the expression but... Screw Vegas... I'm going home to shovel snow in winter and be happy again.

My wife doesn't think we've given it a good enough try and I can't spend another minute here if I want to keep my sanity. All I have to say is this horrible city better not jeopardize my marriage.
Not to be rude, but who, in their right mind, makes such a life changing decision without doing any research. Best wishes to you.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:37 PM

72 posts, read 110,711 times
Quote:
Hello everyone, Let me share my situation here with you.
I moved here about two months ago from Boston and I can't wait another minute to go home.

My wife and I packed up all our things, the dog, and took two friends for the cross country trip, and were on our way to "fabulous" Las Vegas. What a mistake. The trip alone was a disaster which should have been a good sign. I hate it.

It took all of a month to realize what a huge mistake I made. No one told me you can't do a damn thing without knowing someone here. With eleven years of experience in my field I managed to find a bull**** job for $12/hr. I'm packing my things as we speak.

No one here wants anything to do with you unless you can do something for them or they can make some money off of you. What a bunch of materialistic pieces of garbage.

The weather sucks in Boston. The prices of houses are much higher than in Vegas. But here's the thing... The people in Boston are human. They're friendly. They're respectful. There's a sense of family, friendship, morals and honor. None of which are here in Vegas.

Pardon the expression but... Screw Vegas... I'm going home to shovel snow in winter and be happy again.

My wife doesn't think we've given it a good enough try and I can't spend another minute here if I want to keep my sanity. All I have to say is this horrible city better not jeopardize my marriage.
I have to agree with you. Many people like you moved to Vegas because they fell in love with the lights. Where do I begin. Vegas has the highest unemployment in the United States for a city. Jobs pay low. Insurance is high, Electricity is high, schools are terrible but they do look good from the outside, and the list goes on and on. Vegas SUCKS!!!! I don't care what anyone on this blog says. Many of them that talk positive about Vegas are real estate agents. Remember, they want Vegas to shine so they can shine with your money. I wish you luck. But since you have settled in Vegas, it doesn't hurt to stick it out another 6 to keep the wife happy. Maybe things will turn around.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:46 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
One good thing.... Tag and Kiki can carpool outta here. Kiki's wife will stay with or without him

Old 08-04-2011, 08:48 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,310 times
Quote:
Nolan05 what are you talking about? Vegas is anything but like any other city with the same kinds of people. It's a desolate place filled with shady characters and con-men. It's a place so devoid of decency that even the animal shelter is a scam. vegas No place to walk or go at all if you don't gamble. Whole foods offers the only healthy food. If you are intelligent, and have class, you will be extremely sad here. I've never seen so many obese, seedy, stupid, hollow people. The environment is UGLY and it is so difficult to do outdoor activities. No sense of community and it seems the only fun here to be had is getting drunk and using drugs. Vegas is very unhealthy.
I am guessing that one half of this couple likes Las Vegas and is engaging in behavior not acceptable to the spouse.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:52 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagalog View Post
I have to agree with you. Many people like you moved to Vegas because they fell in love with the lights. Where do I begin. Vegas has the highest unemployment in the United States for a city. Jobs pay low. Insurance is high, Electricity is high, schools are terrible but they do look good from the outside, and the list goes on and on. Vegas SUCKS!!!! I don't care what anyone on this blog says. Many of them that talk positive about Vegas are real estate agents. Remember, they want Vegas to shine so they can shine with your money. I wish you luck. But since you have settled in Vegas, it doesn't hurt to stick it out another 6 to keep the wife happy. Maybe things will turn around.
Tag,

While you're entitled to your opinion, you couldn't be any more wrong.

I am not a real estate agent, I packed up my SUV and drove across I-40 for 4 days for a job while my house was being built. Started working and eventually got laid off, worked another job and got laid off.

So while I could have sat there and pizzed and moaned that Las Vegas is terrible, I didn't do that at all. Instead, I went out and found a business that my wife and I bought and even in this recession has thrived. I have made many friends in this city through my business contacts.

I've said it earlier in this ridiculous thread, this city was/is built on hospitality. I provide a product and a service that my clients use and I get paid a fair wage which is no different than any other provider in any city in this country.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:58 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
I hope you all realize that you're feeding a troll.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:59 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
now now....Kookiman and dorkalog deserve to have their opinion to no matter how misguided they are....one of the JOYS of Las Vegas is that we allow ANYONE to apply for membership in the ID-10-T club....I propose that they BOTH be voted in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas