Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2011, 09:47 AM

270 posts, read 534,954 times

Advertisements

I'm a slow learner I guess. Just moved from New Jersey and thought I was being helpful to other newbies by posting experiences I've had as we settle in. Some of this experience includes looking for good deals on things we need, i.e. mattress. We found what I think is a good deal and so I posted the experience here only to have it deleted. I don't understand. I thought this forum was, in part, intended to help those new to Vegas. That's all I was trying to do. Moral of the story: keep your experiences to yourself and post....nothing???

Old 08-06-2011, 09:49 AM

270 posts, read 534,954 times
Think I just figured out why my thread was deleted. I posted a recommendation without anyone actually having asked for it.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,160 times
No worries, they delete some strange things. I've had threads deleted that simply said "hey I had a good time over at such and such place". Then some are not deleted. The mods are humans who just do their best to keep these boards uncluttered and they try their best to interpret the rules. I wouldn't let it bother you. They don't want these boards to turn into a huge advertisement like what's happened with google reviews for example. You read the reviews and can tell that a lot of them are written by the business.

Oh, can a mod please delete this pointless thread? :-D

Old 08-06-2011, 01:24 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecnj View Post
Think I just figured out why my thread was deleted. I posted a recommendation without anyone actually having asked for it.
When I do something like this I add a disclaimer so they know I don't work there. Of course I could be fooling the whole lot of you, but that's not my style.

Something like: "This is only a recommendation based on my experience. I have no affiliation with this company."

It might still get deleted.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:03 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
You might also be able to DM the mod and ask how you could have done it better. I saw your post before it was deleted, and frankly I thought at first it was a blatant advertisement. But then I figured out what you were saying by reading further. I'm not sure the mods have time to do that. Maybe if you had put it in the form of a question, such as, "does anyone else have any experience with mattress stores such as the one I went to?" I don't know if that would work, but it might.

I'm not even sure this thread is OK because it is discussing what the mods do, and we're not supposed to do that. But it seems innocent enough to me.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:05 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Sometimes your posts will get moved to the chat section. Many new posts should just be put in there anyway and not started as a new thread.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:41 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,048,181 times
Moderator Interpose: I didn't see this thread but before I DM'd the OP. (...and by-the-way, also, please do not post a thread asking about forum protocol as these also will usually be removed as being off-topic. ).

So, I will post here what I DM'd to cecnj as this is actually a new rule and I know many of you regular participants do not agree with this rule but it's coming from Marka, an administrator here on the forum.
Quote:
Hi cecnj.

Man, this subject has been bantered about amongst the moderators and administrators many times through the years. What was finally decided several months ago was that "unsolicited" recommendations would not be allowed. In other words, to start a thread recommending a particular business or service would not be allowed but if somebody were to ask for recommendations about where to buy a mattress, for instance, members could make recommendations as usual but considering the "10-post rule" in the T.O.S. (a new member has to have at least 10-posts before responding with a recommendation).

This decision was made by the administrators because they didn't want the local forums saturated with threads just recommending businesses or services.

From a forum administrative standpoint, that decision has pros and cons but that is the decision that was made by the "bosses" so I guess at this point we have to abide by what they want.

If you see other threads that start out with a recommendation, please report them as sometimes we don't catch them and you'll also probably see old threads that break this rule and you can also report those if you wish also.

Sorry. I hope this doesn't sour you from continued participation on our forum. Thanks.

--'rocco

If anybody wishes to discuss this, please post a thread in the About the Forum Forum. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas