Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:11 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,975 times

Advertisements

If you want to see it, the full clip of the Flood House episode is on the A&E website here.

Scott was interviewed last week on a radio show about Flipping Vegas here.

I have only seen the Flood House episode, but I thought it was interesting and comparable to other HGTV reality shows in terms of fakeness. If the episodes didn't air once every two weeks I'd probably catch more of them.

Last edited by Danknee; 08-08-2011 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 09:28 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times
Reality TV = reading scripts.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 4,179 times
Did anyone catch the neighbor saying that the people that lived there before was a man with 3 wives and 15 children? I wonder if it was the Brown family of Sister Wives.... Hmmm. It would be a huge coincidence if there was another polygamist family in Las Vegas.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:50 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
Why was it called the flood house? I would be concerned about any house that suffered water damage that had an insurance claim because of it. The insurance companies keep track of water damage and share that info...any water claim on a house makes subsequent insurance tougher to get.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:53 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Why was it called the flood house? I would be concerned about any house that suffered water damage that had an insurance claim because of it. The insurance companies keep track of water damage and share that info...any water claim on a house makes subsequent insurance tougher to get.
Upstairs toilet feed line leaked for over a week. Whole house water damage, mold, the whole deal. They had to gut the kitchen and most of the sheetrock.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:42 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Upstairs toilet feed line leaked for over a week. Whole house water damage, mold, the whole deal. They had to gut the kitchen and most of the sheetrock.
Guy is advertising on talk radio for clients to go flipping. Says big profits without any real work or investment using his system.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:40 PM

6,384 posts, read 11,877,389 times
All the home shows are generally staged. I have a client who is a lead cameraman and associate producer for a number of HGTV and Food Network shows and he told me a lot of the "secrets", but he said results are all figured out beforehand and then producers work the scenarios to come up with the most TV-friendly script to go over. He mentioned House Hunters, he said the buyers go out and find a home usually with another realtor. Then HH team comes in and uses the realtor of choice who gives "consideration" to the production (he wouldn't even hint how much) and the realtor chooses 2 other properties to make for the 3 choices. He said in the early days when they scripted less and produced quickly, the realtors would want to show current listings so they could market them. Now its done with almost a year's lead time and the numbers are fudged every single time to make it seem like a more even decision. In fact he said there have been cases where the buyers were openly remorseful after seeing one of the other properties, but the deals are already done at that point.

So when I watch a show like Flipping Vegas I can totally see through all the dollar amounts being thrown out there. And I have heard from realtors about those "sight unseen" deals which really are sort of I'll buy it at this price provided nothing more than what you disclose is there. So if you go back and find that much mold damage which wasn't obvious then you go back to the back and negotiate a discount or you walk from the deal.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:45 PM

347 posts, read 542,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Guy is advertising on talk radio for clients to go flipping. Says big profits without any real work or investment using his system.
When you can't make money doing flips, you sell your reputation or Hype in many cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
All the home shows are generally staged. I have a client who is a lead cameraman and associate producer for a number of HGTV and Food Network shows and he told me a lot of the "secrets", but he said results are all figured out beforehand and then producers work the scenarios to come up with the most TV-friendly script to go over. He mentioned House Hunters, he said the buyers go out and find a home usually with another realtor. Then HH team comes in and uses the realtor of choice who gives "consideration" to the production (he wouldn't even hint how much) and the realtor chooses 2 other properties to make for the 3 choices. He said in the early days when they scripted less and produced quickly, the realtors would want to show current listings so they could market them. Now its done with almost a year's lead time and the numbers are fudged every single time to make it seem like a more even decision. In fact he said there have been cases where the buyers were openly remorseful after seeing one of the other properties, but the deals are already done at that point.

So when I watch a show like Flipping Vegas I can totally see through all the dollar amounts being thrown out there. And I have heard from realtors about those "sight unseen" deals which really are sort of I'll buy it at this price provided nothing more than what you disclose is there. So if you go back and find that much mold damage which wasn't obvious then you go back to the back and negotiate a discount or you walk from the deal.
Some of the homes being "listed" are not even on the market. One couple used their friends home as one of the 3 to get an idea of what the homes looked like. Imagine what the friendship is like now, when on the show they had to point out the bad things in the house to justify not buying that one. AWKWARD!

Old 03-23-2014, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,834 times
Default Real cost of flipping

I am in the business of flipping in New Jersey, I might be doing something wrong or maybe costs are much higher in NJ but I was never able to renovate a kitchen for less than $10k and a bathroom for less than $4k. A typical house has one kitchen and two baths and on top of that there is flooring, painting and exterior renovations. How are they able to renovate a house for $30k is beyond me.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:13 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avtuvy View Post
I am in the business of flipping in New Jersey, I might be doing something wrong or maybe costs are much higher in NJ but I was never able to renovate a kitchen for less than $10k and a bathroom for less than $4k. A typical house has one kitchen and two baths and on top of that there is flooring, painting and exterior renovations. How are they able to renovate a house for $30k is beyond me.
I think you are more realistic in your assertions... I never trust anything I see on TV without doing independent research, specially that of reality TV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas