U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:44 AM

88 posts, read 204,292 times

Advertisements

A&E ran the Flood House episode of Flipping Vegas again yesterday. I missed it the first time so I watched because I like trying to figure out the address and the actual outcome (as opposed to the fictional outcome included at the end of each episode).

First of all, the address is 3848 Rancho Niguel Pkwy 89147.

The episode said Goliath paid $225k, but the Assessor's website says they paid $211k (interesting that they would exaggerate the purchase price). Goliath bought the house in December 2010 and according to the calculations at the end of the episode has a total of $270,000 invested in the property.

According to the episode, they received two full price ($349,900) offers on the first day the house was listed. It is actually still for sale. According to Zillow, it was never listed for $349,900. The asking price in March 2011 was $319,900. It was subsequently lowered to $299,000, $294,000, and $289,000. It is currently on Realtor.com for $289,900.

3848 Rancho Niguel Pkwy Las Vegas NV - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1164123 - Realtor.com®

Thanks A&E for another not-so-real reality show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 08:48 AM

10,873 posts, read 13,143,390 times
Sshhhhhh.... the point is to get people buying houses again so we can slough off some of our economy-crushing excess inventory.

Let's get 50,000 out-of-state investors to swoop in and buy three or four "investment properties" and then hire workers to "rehab" them. At least we'll have some money changing hands that doesn't involve a car stopped at a light and someone holding a cardboard sign.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:59 AM

207 posts, read 401,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKVegas View Post
A&E ran the Flood House episode of Flipping Vegas again yesterday. I missed it the first time so I watched because I like trying to figure out the address and the actual outcome (as opposed to the fictional outcome included at the end of each episode).

First of all, the address is 3848 Rancho Niguel Pkwy 89147.

The episode said Goliath paid $225k, but the Assessor's website says they paid $211k (interesting that they would exaggerate the purchase price). Goliath bought the house in December 2010 and according to the calculations at the end of the episode has a total of $270,000 invested in the property.

According to the episode, they received two full price ($349,900) offers on the first day the house was listed. It is actually still for sale. According to Zillow, it was never listed for $349,900. The asking price in March 2011 was $319,900. It was subsequently lowered to $299,000, $294,000, and $289,000. It is currently on Realtor.com for $289,900.

3848 Rancho Niguel Pkwy Las Vegas NV - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1164123 - Realtor.com®

I find this really interesting. I haven't seen that episode, but saw another episode of the series.

My only question is how sure are you that you've got the correct property/address? I noticed this property is listed under Goliath in public records, but it also looks like that's the only property in public records under that name.

I guess if you found them under public records, and the house looks exactly like the one on the episode you can be fairly sure.

Maybe their tagline should be "Reality - Improved"

Old 08-07-2011, 11:20 AM

88 posts, read 204,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfapps View Post
My only question is how sure are you that you've got the correct property/address? I noticed this property is listed under Goliath in public records, but it also looks like that's the only property in public records under that name.

I guess if you found them under public records, and the house looks exactly like the one on the episode you can be fairly sure.

Maybe their tagline should be "Reality - Improved"
In one scene in the episode, they were standing outside the house, and the house number was visible. I then Googled 3848 Flipping Vegas Flood House and one of the first entries was from Trulia.com. I really lucked out here because the trulia site did not mention Flipping Vegas or Flood House, but it came up nonetheless. I then compared the pictures on the site to the episode, and it is definitely the same house.

Interestingly, a house that was featured on a different episode of this show was never owned by Goliath (although the producers made it appear as if Goliath bought and renovated the house); so I was kind of surprised that Goliath actually owned this one.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:22 PM

15,756 posts, read 31,656,579 times
House is now contingent for inspections...thus likely sold. Note that it changed RE offices a couple of weeks ago and was no longer listed by Goliath Realty.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:23 PM

207 posts, read 401,940 times
I wish I had some information about other episodes. I don't know how many have run, the only one I saw had the "Mouse house" and another. Both were in much much lower price ranges than this house.

I'd really like to know if they were actually sold, and if the price on the show was representative of the actual sale price.

Quote:
According to the episode, they received two full price ($349,900) offers on the first day the house was listed. It is actually still for sale.
The only defense I can think of is if they actually did receive these offers, the property may have not appraised at that value and the deal(s) fell through. At the current list price, thinking of agent fees and other sellers costs it doesn't look like they'll make anything on this one compared to what they supposedly have into it.

Still sort of bothers me that the show seems to misrepresent the facts. Hey if the news and newspapers can do it, why not "Reality" TV.

Next they'll try to convince us scrubby lookin' Chumlee really drives a Maserati - oh wait, he does

Old 08-07-2011, 12:25 PM

7,245 posts, read 10,728,980 times
Quote:
The fact that reality tv isn't real isn't exactly some new phenomenon. I was in an episode of HGTV's Designed to Sell several years ago in which we stated at the end of the episode that we had sold our house and received our asking price when in fact we hadn't even put it on the market yet. The people attending our "open house" were friends and neighbors who had been told by the director what to comment on.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:44 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,523,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The fact that reality tv isn't real isn't exactly some new phenomenon. I was in an episode of HGTV's Designed to Sell several years ago in which we stated at the end of the episode that we had sold our house and received our asking price when in fact we hadn't even put it on the market yet. The people attending our "open house" were friends and neighbors who had been told by the director what to comment on.
Thats funny.

I filled out the form for House Hunters show right before we started looking at homes. All the financing was in order and was ready to go. My realtor was down also. I had about a week until I had returned to Vegas from some training overseas. I gave them a detail list of our situation. I got a response that they were not doing the Vegas area any time soon but liked our "story" and if we would be interested in doing it in the near future.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:54 PM

848 posts, read 1,431,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Sshhhhhh.... the point is to get people buying houses again so we can slough off some of our economy-crushing excess inventory.

Let's get 50,000 out-of-state investors to swoop in and buy three or four "investment properties" and then hire workers to "rehab" them. At least we'll have some money changing hands that doesn't involve a car stopped at a light and someone holding a cardboard sign.
I would rather see locals buying homes than investors. Investors don't care about the community as long as rent is paid on their properties. I deal with investors and their renters in my community.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:01 PM

186 posts, read 296,527 times
I wonder if they went back to the bank and got $14,000 knocked off because of the actual condition of the house...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or