Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:55 PM

7 posts, read 9,865 times

Advertisements

Alright guys, so last February I got into a hit and run in my school's parking lot. The thing is, I was friends with the girl who hit my truck so I didn't really think I had to go to the police. My pops talked to her mom and everything seemed fine, they were planning on paying for the damage.

Well, it's already August and she's been ignoring me every way possible.
She caused over 400 dollars in damage.
I was just wondering what I should do, is it too late to file it in with the police? I feel pretty dumb..

Feedback please, thank you.

oh and I was able to obtain her license plate number and her address, if that would help at all...

Last edited by Eben2rah; 08-08-2011 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 04:06 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,949,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben2rah View Post
I was just wondering what I should do, is it too late to file it in with the police? I feel pretty dumb..

Fix the damage and chalk it up to "life experiences." I'm sure karma will take care of you -- and her.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:14 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,304,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Fix the damage and chalk it up to "life experiences." I'm sure karma will take care of you -- and her.
I like Scoop's option. $400 is a cheap lesson.

Otherwise you could go the small claims route. The burden of proof is on you, hopefully you have an impartial eyewitness.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:20 PM

241 posts, read 491,178 times
Ask to see if she is willing to compensate you via an upgrade to a 'friends with benefits' type situation.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:35 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,900,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas1337 View Post
Ask to see if she is willing to compensate you via an upgrade to a 'friends with benefits' type situation.
Haha.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:50 PM

7 posts, read 9,865 times
haha very funny Atlas..

so really I should just let it go?
should I not go through the trouble of small claims court?
the only proof I have is the damage and possibly texts between me and her if they are able to be retrieved.

thanks for the replies

Old 08-08-2011, 04:53 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,949,903 times
Or, just fix the thing -- then knock on her door and hand her the bill, with your address written on it -- "Make check payable to Eben2Rah, 1313 Mockingbird St., Las Vegas, NV 89169."

Old 08-08-2011, 05:28 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,109,054 times
I go with Danknee. Cross it off or small claims.

You will likely do OK in small claims. People will rarely deny the whole thing.

Happens but you still might win. Only a few people are credible when they lie.

Pictures and repair bills help.

That is why we all have these clever phones. Shoot a dozen pictures and it takes care of who was there and when.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:07 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,030,444 times
I go with Atlas..take it out in trade.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:08 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,060,188 times
How old is this person? Since you said school parking lot, are we talking high school or college age or adult?

If it's someone < 18, I wouldn't bother trying to sue them.

It's pretty easy to sue someone in small claims, but it will cost you about $100 in filing fees and costs to serve her and you'd have to know where she lives or works. That $100 would be added onto the amount she owes you.

Most people freak when they get served by the constable since they then have an impending court date which they must attend. I would expect to get a call letting you know she is willing to pay you, but you'll be out the $100 in fees, unless you tell her to pay that too, which she may or may not want to pay.

If you do end up going to court and winning, you get a judgement, which you have to collect. It's not that difficult to collect a small judgment, but it can be a hassle and personally not something I'd want to waste my own time on for $400 unless I was just trying to be vindictive on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben2rah View Post
Alright guys, so last February I got into a hit and run in my school's parking lot. The thing is, I was friends with the girl who hit my truck so I didn't really think I had to go to the police. My pops talked to her mom and everything seemed fine, they were planning on paying for the damage.

oh and I was able to obtain her license plate number and her address, if that would help at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas