Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 5,260 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving back to Lost Wages, and have been offered a lucrative, commission only position in home improvement sales, windows, Solar, roof, hvac, etc.

We have little competition, I would be running the office, and making overrides, as well as selling.

Just wondering with how depressed Vegas is right now, is there sales going on in home improvement?

We have killer financing, and can save the homeowner money right away, I know there are a lot of retirees there, and they have money.

Just wondering if there are any commission sales guys out there to give advice.

I notice I can get a house much much bigger then mine here in So Cal for dirt cheap.

I have a good deal here, and live in So Cal, don't know if I am idiot for wanting to move, or if this is a good opportunity to have an exclusive market.

Thank you for you advice on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 06:14 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
If others are feeling like I am, and I think they are, what's the point of putting any money into home improvements right now with the RE market still dropping and just about everyone underwater? I'm not usually negative about such things, but that's one area that has been hurt the most around here.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:38 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
I have the money for that kind of stuff. But I'm not at all interested in putting any more money into a sinking ship. I've lost enough on this place as it is, and we're still not at rock bottom. (I thought we were, but today's stock market crash has me thinking we're in for another year of heavy slides and foreclosures.) The people who were hanging on by their fingernails aren't going to survive the next six month, I fear.

I wouldn't take that job. Not a chance.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:45 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
i feel the same way... i own the Titanic and the Edmund Fitzgerald... both are sinking..

Old 08-08-2011, 09:24 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Just curious...would you be sharing a desk with The Maytag Repairman?

Old 08-08-2011, 10:03 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,981 times
Commission only home improvement sales? I agree with the guys above, I would stay where you are if it is already a good deal (as you said).

Old 08-09-2011, 09:28 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,637,545 times
I also have the $ for home Improvement stuff, and I am going to be spending it, but just as inexpensive as I can, Highest efficiency for lowest amount I can get away with.

No Solar, No Bells, No whistles. and not a major sales commission for you.

Jonathan

Old 08-09-2011, 09:56 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
The present pattern in Las Vegas would indicate a reasonable climate for home improvements. In fact most of the custom builders in LV are making their living off it at the moment.

Basically home building has ground to a halt. Very small number of new homes the last two years and no sign of a pickup in sight. So the homes are aging and people are fixing up rather than moving up to new.

You will of course find the brave DIYs as above...but there will be the vast majority who won't go that way.

YMMV

Old 08-09-2011, 02:19 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Lucrative? Says who? The company offering you the job? If that's the case I would want to KNOW for sure I could make a living before moving out here. There are all kinds of commission only jobs available. Why? Because they aren't real and you can't make a living doing this right now. The company has nothing to lose because they aren't paying you anything. You assume all the risk.

Homes are still losing value. People are having a hard time economically. We don't have enough decent jobs for the number of workers available. This is not a 'hot market' for home improvements right now. Folks are more concerned with putting food on the table and looking for work.

There are people here with discretionary incomes and a large population of retired folks too. But the majority of the people are just scraping by. I have a neighbor who is doing without AC this summer because he can't afford to replace his broken central air. I am remodeling a house....much slower than I had hoped, because it's so hard to make money here. Believe me, I look hard and research a lot before I spend any money.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:28 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Sometimes financing makes all the difference, and it sounds like that is part of the value proposition of the company you would work for.

For decades, a few of the major nationwide catalog sales operations for various women's clothing and light home furnishings were, in fact, just finance companies. They were in the business of extending credit, and the clothing & other stuff the sold was incidental to the deal.

Of course, there is no free lunch. If it were me, I'd do a fair bit of homework before taking a job like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: