Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 03:25 PM

697 posts, read 3,277,944 times

Advertisements

Don't forget Detroit! 19% unemployment rate and almost 300,000 homeless at last estimate. If you think LV is so bad, go to Detroit and Flint and walk through the neighborhoods that used to flourish during the automakers hayday. You won't even need to worry about getting robbed, nobody lives there. Detroit has more abandoned and condemned property than any other city in the country. We have more violent crime than any other city in the country and only Houston has more murders in a year. Nevada is paradise compared to SE Michigan. Sheriff, you are a sad, sad person. I pity you.

Any place is only as good as you make it.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:38 PM

713 posts, read 2,716,196 times
many ex auto workers from MI are moving to Wyoming. Did anyone read the msn piece about the guy who rode his mule from MI to Wyoming, in search of a job? A few years ago I saw a piece on the news, that ppl were living in rv's in Wyoming, waiting for housing to be built. Where are the ppl whose homes have been foreclosed upon (in vegas) moving to? anybody know?

Old 08-22-2007, 03:48 PM

I know this. I am living in Wyoming right now (I am a deputy in Cheyenne). Wyoming mines are recruiting in Nevada as well. My next door neighbor is going to a job fair at UNLV soon to recruit workers for the oilfield he manages. The pay is incredible, the cost of living is low (for now, it is rising fast in the boom areas), and the work is dirty and hard. We don't have enough people to work at the mines and oilfields. Even with all of the people that are moving out of Michigan, there are still alot of sad situations. When they can make more on welfare than they can working, why would they want to work? Detroit is a sad situation in my opinion, but i love my hometown nonetheless, the money is not there and people just cannot catch a break. The situation in Nevada is nowhere as bleak as it is in Detroit.

Like I said, it is what you make of it. I have found the positives in every city I have lived in. I have lived in the worst this country has to offer (thanks to the military) and I have not found a place that did not have positives. I find that optimism is soooooooo much easier than pessimism.

I have also heard alot (not all) of the foreclosures are due to greed. In Denver, for example, alot of people got greedy and bought more than they could afford or wanted to make a quick buck. When the market took a turn down, they were cought with their pants down. I heard that Las Vegas was one of the hotspots for real estate and the same thing happened there. Just what I have heard (I don't keep up on real estate because i have no intention of owning a home). Those people got themselves in over their heads, their livelyhoods didn't go to Mexico for cheaper labor.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:54 PM

713 posts, read 2,716,196 times
hmm, i have driven thru wyoming several times (i-80) and just loved it. i drive a jeep too (2005 wrangler, would love a rubicon). no reason really for me to move to wyoming, other that to be closer to my ex, the father of my 3 kids. He is in nw ok.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:58 PM

Wyoming is a pretty state. The beauty is skin deep however. Recreation that I like to do (atv's and 4 wheeling) is very limited due to the MASSIVE homesteads that surround ALL the public land it seems. I have to drive all the way across the state or to Colorado to ride my dirtbike or to find a decent trail for the Jeep. The farmers and ranchers run our politicians and our state. I have way too many gripes about this state to put here. I like the state, but the lack of people is just something I cannot get used to.

All states have their problems. Nobody will ever get away form it. Sometimes we need to just grin and bear it.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:04 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,330,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
what are you 12? your post doesn't even make sense...you'd have been better calling me a "poopie head" than trying to turn my words on me.

let me break down your post's short comings:

the only way me "keeping quiet and staying in Altadena" would be all the rage would be if all or most of ME were doing that...which all or most of me isn't (not even part of me is...).

have you ever been to LA? i guarantee, by simple population size, that there are significantly more unsuccessful people here. for example, i'm sure that our homeless population here in LA dwarfs that of vegas...there is a tent city that materializes every night down in skid row...and i mean a city...it is startling/shocking to see.

and one last glaring thing....if LV is for losers, and you are such a winner, then why are you here?

which again brings me back to my original question, which you still haven't answered..is that because you don't have an answer? or is it because your irrational rage prevents you from making coherent statements?
No, you move. No, you move.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:14 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,413,814 times
i agree cj...it is hard to get used to the low population density of WY. even in cheyenne you feel you are in a small town. esp. if you are looking for nightlife.

but it is beautiful. i was fortunate to do field work in Yellowstone for seven consecutive summers...i absolutely love the NW part of the state (oh yeah...ironically enough, the one thing i disliked about YNP was all the people...haha, go figure). there are trails you can head off on in the Absoroka Mts. (off the beartooth and chief joeseph hwys), but CO is pbby closer for you.

hey becky...next time you are on 80, detour through Flaming Gorge NRA...it is spectacular!

Old 08-22-2007, 04:17 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,180,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
Show me any other US city that has the number of local politicians in prison, or on their way to prison, that the wonderful cesspool has.
OK -

Illinois state senator Bruce A. Farley sentenced to 18 months in prison for mail fraud. 1999.
Illinois state senator John A. D’Arco Jr. served about 3 years in prison for bribery and extortion. 1995.
Illinois Chicago alderman Larence S. Bloom sentenced to 6 months in 1999 for filing a false tax return.
Illinois Chicago alderman Jesse J. Evans sentenced to 41 months in prison in 1997 for racketeering, extortion, conspiracy, attempted extortion, mail fraud, influence peddling, filing false tax returns, and obstruction of justice.
Illinois Chicago alderman Virgil E. Jones Jr. in 1999 was sentenced to 2 and a half years in prison for extortion.
Illinois Chicago alderman Joseph A. Martínez in 1998 pleaded guilty to ghost payrolling and was sentenced to 5 months in prison.
Illinois Chicago alderman Ambrosio Medrano pleaded guilty to extortion in 1996 and was sentenced to 30 months in prison.
Illinois Chicago alderman Allan J. Streeter pleaded guilty to extortion and was sentenced to prison in 1998.
Illinois Chicago alderman Fred B. Roti was sentenced to 48 months in 1993 for racketeering, conspiracy, bribery, among other things.
Illinois Chicago judge Thomas J. Maloney Jr. sentenced to almost 16 years in prison for taking bribes in 1994.
Illinois Chicago treasurer Edward Rosewell pleaded guilty to mail fraud but was not sentenced due to an illness that he died from soon after. His conviction was vacated in 1999.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:18 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,093,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
No, you move. No, you move.
I have about decided that "Sheriff" is a 15 yr old playin with mommies computer.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:19 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,330,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
OK -

Illinois state senator Bruce A. Farley sentenced to 18 months in prison for mail fraud. 1999.
Illinois state senator John A. D’Arco Jr. served about 3 years in prison for bribery and extortion. 1995.
Illinois Chicago alderman Larence S. Bloom sentenced to 6 months in 1999 for filing a false tax return.
Illinois Chicago alderman Jesse J. Evans sentenced to 41 months in prison in 1997 for racketeering, extortion, conspiracy, attempted extortion, mail fraud, influence peddling, filing false tax returns, and obstruction of justice.
Illinois Chicago alderman Virgil E. Jones Jr. in 1999 was sentenced to 2 and a half years in prison for extortion.
Illinois Chicago alderman Joseph A. Martínez in 1998 pleaded guilty to ghost payrolling and was sentenced to 5 months in prison.
Illinois Chicago alderman Ambrosio Medrano pleaded guilty to extortion in 1996 and was sentenced to 30 months in prison.
Illinois Chicago alderman Allan J. Streeter pleaded guilty to extortion and was sentenced to prison in 1998.
Illinois Chicago alderman Fred B. Roti was sentenced to 48 months in 1993 for racketeering, conspiracy, bribery, among other things.
Illinois Chicago judge Thomas J. Maloney Jr. sentenced to almost 16 years in prison for taking bribes in 1994.
Illinois Chicago treasurer Edward Rosewell pleaded guilty to mail fraud but was not sentenced due to an illness that he died from soon after. His conviction was vacated in 1999.
That's good, you got anything THIS century?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas