Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2007, 08:50 AM

515 posts, read 1,829,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
The Smithsonian and it's affiliates in DC had 45 million visitors in 2006. I am responding to your claim visitors in THECesspool are at less risk than elsewhere. The accepted figure is 39 million visitors-- I guess hotel guests. How is that any different than museum guests?
Are you really comparing a highly secured building with metal detectors that you must pass through to get inside, to a valley with aprox. 2 million people?

Old 12-14-2007, 08:53 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,319,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Angry View Post
Are you really comparing a highly secured building with metal detectors that you must pass through to get inside, to a valley with aprox. 2 million people?
What are you talking about? Airports, which your claim of 36 mil visitors arrive, are ABSOLUTELY the most secure of travel options. Wow!

Old 12-14-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
What are you talking about? Airports, which your claim of 36 mil visitors arrive, are ABSOLUTELY the most secure of travel options. Wow!
Nice answer. Way to avoid my question. Wait let me rephrase that.....

niceanswerwaytoavoidmyquestioncomparingacitytoames uembravo

Old 12-14-2007, 10:40 AM

15,370 posts, read 38,985,577 times
I somehow think that comparing the visitors to the Smithsonian to the residents and visitors of ANY typical American City is like comparing potatoes to Dom Perignon.

However, common sense has NEVER played a great part in the illustrious Sheriff's meandering posts.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:17 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,406,264 times
Default gluton for punishment

Quote:
You really should read what you quote. You quoted the link I provided, yet you didn't read, or, surprise, comprehend the link. And, by the way, grammar only matters to me when others bring it up, and then crash their own wheelchairs while speeding. Remember, I NEVER cast the first stone.
your ability to make outlandishly incorrect statements is astounding. not only did i read your link (http://www.answers.com/topic/imposter?cat=health), but i explained it to you. your assessment that the word "imposter" is a psychoanalytical term is just wrong. simply because the word appears on a site describing psychoanalysis does not make it a psychoanalytical term.

now, maybe you were gleaning the definition of "imposter" used on the site and trying to apply it to me...maybe. but your original statement:

Quote:
I knew I got too deep for this site---imposter is a term used in psychoanalysis. I would be happy to profile you--- but not on this site. For your limited capacities: http://www.answers.com/topic/imposter?cat=health
is simply wrong and in the context of the site you listed demonstrates that you didn't comprehend what you said...in either of the above quotes. i asked to educate us and give us a site showing that "imposter" is specifically a psychoanalytical term...instead you tried to slam me, and in the process made yourself look foolish (again).

as for your stone throwing....and remember, i tend to speak from personal experience....here are your first lobs at me.

1st attempt to insult - page 16, this thread
Quote:
All the rage would be for you to keep quiet, and stay in Altadena. Everyone that is successful stays in LA----LV is for losers, on second thought, you'll end up in LV. No, you leave.
1st actual name calling - page 20, this thread
Quote:
What does sentence two, paragragh two say, moron.
NEVER throw first, eh?

i suspect the same is true for your grammar attacks...

Old 12-14-2007, 05:54 PM

697 posts, read 3,271,540 times
Quote:
Well, last year the Smithsonian had 45 million visitors; more the THECesspool, and I don't think there were ANY shootings or murders there. Please correct me, if I am wrong.
Again, you ARE wrong. Padding your statistics to get a rise is an insult to intellegent people. 45 million??? Try half that.

http://newsdesk.si.edu/visits/default.htm (broken link)

Old 12-14-2007, 06:25 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,319,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
Again, you ARE wrong. Padding your statistics to get a rise is an insult to intellegent people. 45 million??? Try half that.

http://newsdesk.si.edu/visits/default.htm (broken link)
No wonder you had such trouble getting your GED for the big NHP job----READ VERY CAREFULLY---in 2006 the Smithsonian & it's affiliates in DC had 45mil+ visitors. God, I can't wait 'till you get a gun and a badge.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
No wonder you had such trouble getting your GED for the big NHP job----READ VERY CAREFULLY---in 2006 the Smithsonian & it's affiliates in DC had 45mil+ visitors. God, I can't wait 'till you get a gun and a badge.
HA HA HA, you are so wrong!!!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 08:04 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,406,264 times
Quote:
sheriff you are having trouble w/ comprehension again...the site listed by CJ is a smithsonian total. the affiliates are listed on the page below the 23 million total and are what comprises that number. feel free to add them up.

actually, if you took the time to read the page you would see that the smithsonian tally also includes the several million who visit the national zoo each year. additionally, the site very clearly states that the numbers are estimates and i quote:

"Because the Smithsonian museums are free, we cannot base our visit tallies on a number of tickets sold.

Smithsonian guards use hand clickers to count everyone entering the museums through public entrances during the hours the museums are open. The counts sometimes include staff, as well as visitors who leave the museum and return. A person visiting three Smithsonian museums on any given day will be counted three times. For these reasons, we always refer to the numbers below as "visits" rather than "visitors".

Visit numbers are complied on a calendar year basis. Beginning in 2001, the total visits to the Smithsonian also reflect the number of visits to the National Zoo."

so anyone visiting more than one of the museums on a given day will be counted multiple times based on the number of museums visited. also, and i don't know if you have been to them or not, but if you had you would know that food etc. is often located outside the museums. therefore, if you went out to get a bite, you would be counted twice.

if you have a link that indicates this 45 million visitor statistic you keep quoting i would be interested in seeing it.

in the end, the point is moot, as comparing visitors to a CITY and visitors to MUSEUMS is very different.

any data on tourist destination cities such as orlando or new orleans? these would probably make for better comparisions.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:37 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,683,022 times
This is just sad Can't we all just get a long? Hey did you guys hear that Rodney King was shot!! and lived! Man that guy has nine lives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas