U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-23-2011, 02:11 PM

8,475 posts, read 14,388,795 times
I do my advance judging based on the clientele when I go to an ethnic restaurant. I know there's a good chance for excellent food if there are Asians eating at an Asian place or Hispanics at a local tacqueria(did I spell that right?).

My plan is to try all those little local places. I still want to try that one on Main Street too. There's lots of good Mexican here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 03:13 PM

15,378 posts, read 23,284,469 times
TWO on Main St.....El Sombrero is north of Charleston right on that small curve on the EAST sice ofe the street....its a TINY dump

The other one [name escapes me] is SOUTH of Charleston about a block....right on the corner on the West side of the street

Old 08-23-2011, 03:23 PM

7,348 posts, read 5,807,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I know there's a good chance for excellent food if there are Asians eating at an Asian place
That ain't always true. My in-laws are Chinese. They always go for the cheapest place, irrespective of quality. If my wife and I want quality, we have to dine out alone -- without the in-laws. The in-laws would ***** about the price throughout the entire meal, completely ruining it, even if we're paying.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:39 PM

11,590 posts, read 20,532,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
TWO on Main St.....El Sombrero is north of Charleston right on that small curve on the EAST side of the street....its a TINY dump

The other one [name escapes me] is SOUTH of Charleston about a block....right on the corner on the West side of the street

Casa Don Juan. Casa Don Juan
The previous restaurant that was in that place had been such a greasy spoon for about 40 years and was so bad I was afraid to try Casa Don Juan. I'm glad I did. It is very good. But I never think about it unless we're going to First Friday.

One of my favorites in Laredo was The Tumble Inn, so called because the old wooden building sat on the side of a creek, and sagged towards the creek like it was ready to tumble in.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:09 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,169,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
The two best in Las Vegas: Frank and Fina's and Lindo Michoacan.
I love Frank & Fina's, but I may have a new number one. After a year of driving by Bonito Michoacan 3 days/week every week and seeing the parking lot full of cars, my wife and I finally stopped in for a late lunch last week on our way home from Wynn. Our meals were delicious and the service was fast & friendly without being obsequious. I'll have to visit a couple more times before supplanting F&F's as #1 though.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:20 PM

547 posts, read 493,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
Look here Hombre, maybe Chevy's isn't REALLY Mexican, Tex-Mex whatever.....I still like it. Let's just rename it. Whatever Vegas serves, be it a chain or not, I like this Americanized version of Mexican/Tex-Mex/Southwest food. I love all of the above restaurants mentioned, even those from other posters such as Supermex and Agave. You have to really screw up some Mexican style food for me not to like it
HAHA .. I agree with you.

Its just that Chevy's isn't what comes to mind when I think "best mexican food". Its Applebee's with beans and rice.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:21 PM

84 posts, read 89,315 times
For a quick bite I enjoy going to Roberto's. Best California Burrito in town...wait is that Americanized?

Old 08-23-2011, 06:34 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,097,323 times
I've eaten at Roberto's a couple times. That's the main chain in town, ne? For the most part, I didn't care for them that much.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:05 PM

84 posts, read 89,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
I've eaten at Roberto's a couple times. That's the main chain in town, ne? For the most part, I didn't care for them that much.
I think they are kinda hit and miss with locations. I frequent the one in the Fabulous Freddy's on Durango/Elkhorn and it's usually great.

I'm certainly going to have to check out Viva Mercados and Frank And Fina's after the praise they got on here.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:19 PM

8,696 posts, read 7,086,355 times
One night we were on our way home from exploring out and about, we stopped at the Fiesta and Texas Station, we stopped for gas and there was a tent set up and dang it smelled awesome! There was a crowd there so we had to go check it out and the people in line were saying it is the BEST Mexican fare around! They were just cooking it up right there on the corner. Didn't get any but the next day I was still thinking about it and wished I would have! Has anyone else come across that? If so, did you buy something? Was it as good as it smelled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas