Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 03:31 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
Doggie, I will tell you a secret. Unless those gated communities have a guardhouse where every entering vehicle is stopped and its purpose vetted, the gates aren't that much use when they are closed, either. Within three weeks, every delivery driver within a ten-mile radius will have the gate entry code, and if you aren't lucky enough to already have it, just follow someone in who does.

I'm on an HOA board, and we had a brief flirtation with going gated because people who attend football games at an adjacent high school (which was neither conceived nor planned when our community was built) park in our neighborhood on football Fridays. We eventually decided that it wasn't worth stopping five days of parking per year for the added expense and the paltry security advantage.
A gated community is a security upgrade if cameras are installed, no on-street parking is allowed, and each resident has his or her own code. Couple those 3 items with a random night time patrol and security goes way up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 03:39 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Celine Dion bought two lots at the Summit so she'll be moving. But it'll be a couple years or so.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:20 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
A gated community is a security upgrade if cameras are installed, no on-street parking is allowed, and each resident has his or her own code. Couple those 3 items with a random night time patrol and security goes way up.
I don't see any point to banning on street parking. That simply screws up everyone who needs to throw a party or have a meeting. the only legitimate reason for a parking ban is firetruck clearance.

Cameras may have some value but it is reasonably simple to cover an license plate if up to no good.

I am not sure personal codes make a difference. And note the problem if codes are withheld...you end up without UPS or Fedex or such...and they will refuse to deliver without a gate code. And if you want to not sell your house try it without a gate code. No gate code available will more than cut the showings in half.

There are tracts that keep the gate code private. But they will generally go to the bottom of my show list...I have no problem busting the gate by following someone in...but why start out that way?

Old 05-27-2017, 06:45 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I don't see any point to banning on street parking. That simply screws up everyone who needs to throw a party or have a meeting. the only legitimate reason for a parking ban is firetruck clearance.

Cameras may have some value but it is reasonably simple to cover an license plate if up to no good.

I am not sure personal codes make a difference. And note the problem if codes are withheld...you end up without UPS or Fedex or such...and they will refuse to deliver without a gate code. And if you want to not sell your house try it without a gate code. No gate code available will more than cut the showings in half.

There are tracts that keep the gate code private. But they will generally go to the bottom of my show list...I have no problem busting the gate by following someone in...but why start out that way?

I should have said no overnight street parking without a permit.

Certainly it is easy to follow someone in through the gate during the day time hours but it does get harder to do in the evening. Yes, one could cover front and back license plates but isn't that a dead give away as to being suspicious? I think that UPS, USPS, and FEDEX have some kind of universal transmitter code because they never stop to enter code. Personal codes can help identify how somebody got into the community at 2 AM. RE agents always have the code in their print-out.

The real advantage to living in a gated community is that the residents own the roads in the community. The gates might not keep every unauthorized person out but it goes a long way, especially at night. Bottom line is that I wouldn't live in Vegas in a non-gated community.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:36 AM

5 posts, read 5,084 times
We are considering purchasing at Lago Vista (William Lyon lakeside development) but have concerns as to the long term prospects of LLV as a whole. We don't mind that it is isolated and empty for the most part (that's actually partly why we like it) but is the lake itself a private venture? I know there was a bankruptcy in the past, and some current lawsuits, but if the lake is private and the money dries up, could the Lake conceivably dry up / be abandoned ?

Old 07-29-2017, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltman View Post
Internet connectivity is a sad joke in LLV. The best you can get is 10 MBit/sec. Centurylink charge $50 and LLV communications charge $70 a month. If you bundle in local phone service you can get a bit of a discount.

If you think Centurylink's customer service is poor, try LLV Communications. You can never directly reach a sales rep, just leave a message which of course never gets acted on. If their sales is that bad, I don't even want to imagine their tech support.

Clear WiMax would be the best deal but their signals don't really reach LLV.

Hey Waltman, has the internet service improved out there at LLV? Heard LLV Communications had been putting in fiber to the home, but that news is from many years ago. Thinking of buying a condo there. Thanks!

Old 07-31-2017, 07:36 AM

82 posts, read 203,634 times
Centurylink really upgraded their offerings in LLV a few years ago. You can get a maximum of 40 Mbps for $55/month, alternatively 25 Mbps for $45. Of course they will be more than happy to bundle phone and TV.

After some major initial issues, their reliability has improved significantly. I'm quite happy.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:15 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltman View Post
Centurylink really upgraded their offerings in LLV a few years ago. You can get a maximum of 40 Mbps for $55/month, alternatively 25 Mbps for $45. Of course they will be more than happy to bundle phone and TV.

After some major initial issues, their reliability has improved significantly. I'm quite happy.
What's it like to live there? Where do you shop and get groceries, is there good restaurants in town, is the climate same as LV etc.

I saw some of the condos on line and the quality of finishes is phenomenal for the price. I would be interested in buying a condo to spend a few months in the winter but I would like to rent it out as a vacation rental...do most of the condos allow that?

Old 01-30-2018, 02:20 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
What's it like to live there? Where do you shop and get groceries, is there good restaurants in town, is the climate same as LV etc.

I saw some of the condos on line and the quality of finishes is phenomenal for the price. I would be interested in buying a condo to spend a few months in the winter but I would like to rent it out as a vacation rental...do most of the condos allow that?

The Village is a ghost town, I believe there is one mini market at the village, one of two restaurants closed a few months back. Visited Summer of 2017 did not miss much, hahaha. Boring really. So much for those people in their gated mansions supporting the small businesses, yeah right.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:15 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post

This thread encompasses a pretty good build up to what Lake Las Vegas is like. I lurked this and related threads for years while watching the RE market for the best time for my family to move. When I decided to move here (2015), nothing about LLV gave me enough confidence to buy in LLV. Lived in a rental there for 3 short months waiting to close on my townhome (not in LLV).

There is significant new construction out there now. Tuscany and build-up on Galleria Parkway is going to draw more convenience and retail--as is the growth along the main entrance. I have a friend who owns a townhome on South Shore and rents it out (she's an active REA). The commute and lack of services overwhelmed the shiny aspects of the property for her and she didn't last long there.

While I only lived there for 3 months, we enjoyed a few events in the village and never had a bad meal at the restaurants operating at the time. The common trails and landscaping are beautiful, and our morning walks were probably the most enjoyable aspect of a very serene and peaceful place. We loved some of the available RE, but could not overcome the commute to shopping and services--if convenience and access to almost anything is important, look elsewhere or wait a few years. It is a beautiful place. The references to the village being a ghost town is not much of an exaggeration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas