Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:50 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,950 times

Advertisements

Always interesting to see people's blood lust when a story like this happens. Anyone who says we've evolved much since the time of the Romans is deluding themselves. Something tells me if we built a big gladiator Colosseum in Vegas tomorrow for guys like the perp, it would rake in billions in revenue in under a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 05:14 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Always interesting to see people's blood lust when a story like this happens. Anyone who says we've evolved much since the time of the Romans is deluding themselves. Something tells me if we built a big gladiator Colosseum in Vegas tomorrow for guys like the perp, it would rake in billions in revenue in under a week.
I dont know about billions but it would certainly come close

George Carlin talked about bringing back harsh forms of punishment, and he said they could be broadcast on TV by a corporate sponsor. He suggested this as a way to stop criminals but to also balance the budget. Obviously congress didnt listen on that bit

Im not joking here either, forgive me for sounding sick and despotic here but I think this kind of thing could actually work. Here were Carlin's ideas

George Carlin - Capital Punishment - YouTube

As sick and twisted as his philosophy was, it made sense and still does.

Ill stop as you guys must think Im some sorta sicko now

Old 09-08-2011, 06:08 AM

508 posts, read 1,022,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I dont know about billions but it would certainly come close

George Carlin talked about bringing back harsh forms of punishment, and he said they could be broadcast on TV by a corporate sponsor. He suggested this as a way to stop criminals but to also balance the budget. Obviously congress didnt listen on that bit

Im not joking here either, forgive me for sounding sick and despotic here but I think this kind of thing could actually work. Here were Carlin's ideas

George Carlin - Capital Punishment - YouTube

As sick and twisted as his philosophy was, it made sense and still does.

Ill stop as you guys must think Im some sorta sicko now
I dont know i think george carlin had a lot of really good ideas.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:44 PM

77 posts, read 170,197 times
Quote:
I share the above sentiments all the. Time, story or not... And my opinions don't always go over well with some.
Crime such as this deserves a special type of punishment.

It's a true SHAME that this guy will ever see the light of day again, say nothing of access to books, tv, exercise, etc.!

Old 09-08-2011, 04:59 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarcia112 View Post
I share the above sentiments all the. Time, story or not... And my opinions don't always go over well with some.
Crime such as this deserves a special type of punishment.

It's a true SHAME that this guy will ever see the light of day again, say nothing of access to books, tv, exercise, etc.!
No, it doesn't.

That's supposed to separate us from the tinhorn dictatorships around the world that hack off thieves hands, and administer public beheadings.

We start down that road, and it's no time at all before we're just like Saudi Arabia. Anyone who has ever been to Saudi Arabia will tell you -- they don't want America to be ANYTHING like that country.

We've executed enough innocent men and women in this country already. I'd like to see us get out of the execution business. If guilty, Righetti can spend the rest of his days next to Charlie Manson, for all I care. Just take him out of circulation. Prison will likely exact it's karmic reward.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:27 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
No, it doesn't.

That's supposed to separate us from the tinhorn dictatorships around the world that hack off thieves hands, and administer public beheadings.

We start down that road, and it's no time at all before we're just like Saudi Arabia. Anyone who has ever been to Saudi Arabia will tell you -- they don't want America to be ANYTHING like that country.

We've executed enough innocent men and women in this country already. I'd like to see us get out of the execution business. If guilty, Righetti can spend the rest of his days next to Charlie Manson, for all I care. Just take him out of circulation. Prison will likely exact it's karmic reward.
Right. Just to be clear, I'm not advocating this either. Simply acknowledging that despite our high opinions of ourselves, I guarantee that something similar to a gladiator ring for murderers would have enormous viewership.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:42 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Right. Just to be clear, I'm not advocating this either. Simply acknowledging that despite our high opinions of ourselves, I guarantee that something similar to a gladiator ring for murderers would have enormous viewership.
The day the USA has something similar to a gladiator ring for murderers is the day I sell everything, buy a sailboat and good luck ever finding me again. (Although, the island of Lamu or the Palau archipelago would be a good place to start looking.)

Last edited by ScoopLV; 09-08-2011 at 05:52 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 07:07 PM

719 posts, read 1,480,117 times
I hate that her mother will read, hear, know the horrific details of her daughter's last few moments. I don't know that I could handle knowing my child suffered so horribly, just before dying. I would wonder what her last thoughts were. Did she know she was going to die. Did she scream out for me to come save her, etc etc. That poor mom and family. I hope the guy gets his in prison..

Old 09-08-2011, 07:37 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
I hate that her mother will read, hear, know the horrific details of her daughter's last few moments. I don't know that I could handle knowing my child suffered so horribly, just before dying. I would wonder what her last thoughts were. Did she know she was going to die. Did she scream out for me to come save her, etc etc. That poor mom and family. I hope the guy gets his in prison..
It is beyond sad. This video put me in tears.

Vigil held for slain teenager; mother breaks silence - www.ktnv.com

Old 09-08-2011, 08:02 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,836,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
It is beyond sad. This video put me in tears.

Vigil held for slain teenager; mother breaks silence - www.ktnv.com
I can't watch that. Didn't even try.

I have a teenage daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas