Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 11:39 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Home inspection, is a waste of $$, BUT you need someone with common sense and some technical background to walk the house looking for MAJOR problems.

Unless you are willing to take the house 'as is' warts and all. you really should hire a home inspector

Jonathan
Disagree relatively strongly. Interesting houses for instance need an inspection if for no other reason than to put together and price the check list of things to be done.

And a proper inspection may often provide the evidence for a substantial price reduction.

I have a client who does not need one. But he is buying in a narrow range of newer homes and simply walks them with his contractor.

But for most people the inspection is reasonably valuable and every tenth or twefth time they find something interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 04:56 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,554 times
so my friend is under contract on a property. The water has been shut-off becaue of unpaid bill of $1500 (due to water leak). How does the inspector check plumbing system if there is no water?

Last edited by Scott456; 09-09-2011 at 06:06 PM..

Old 09-09-2011, 05:06 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Home inspection, is a waste of $$, BUT you need someone with common sense and some technical background to walk the house looking for MAJOR problems.

Unless you are willing to take the house 'as is' warts and all. you really should hire a home inspector

Jonathan

Are you saying it's a waste of money or not?

I don't bother with inspectors, but I do my own inspections. Seeing as I already have all the tools -- thermometers, voltmeters, moisture meters, etc., it's really not much more than running down a checklist. Takes all day to do it right, though. The professionals I've come across aren't as thorough with a client as they would be inspecting their own potential purchase.

And if I can't check the plumbing due to water being shut off, I'd walk away from the deal. Unpermitted improvements, boring insects and water are the big money problems.

As with most other things property related, it doesn't hurt to take a class on the subject -- if nothing else to make sure the inspector isn't just running through the motions.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
so my friend is under contract on a property. The water has been shut-off becaue of unpaid bill of $1500 (due to water leak). How does the inspector chek plumbing system if there is no water?
You get the water turned on. Any agent can do it. I have had the water turned on in my name a dozen times in the last couple of years. They know about inspections.

YOu can also pressurize the system with compressed air and see if it is leaking or borrow a hose from a neighbor and flush the johns.

But it is easier to turn the water on. Make sure you are paying attention. Generally the water company removes their lock but they won't turn it on if any water is being drawn. So when you turn it on have someone inside or get in quick. Flood time...

Old 09-09-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Are you saying it's a waste of money or not?

I don't bother with inspectors, but I do my own inspections. Seeing as I already have all the tools -- thermometers, voltmeters, moisture meters, etc., it's really not much more than running down a checklist. Takes all day to do it right, though. The professionals I've come across aren't as thorough with a client as they would be inspecting their own potential purchase.

And if I can't check the plumbing due to water being shut off, I'd walk away from the deal. Unpermitted improvements, boring insects and water are the big money problems.

As with most other things property related, it doesn't hurt to take a class on the subject -- if nothing else to make sure the inspector isn't just running through the motions.
That is fine if you know what you are doing and buying or not buying is the only issue. If however you want to get a price reduction or even a fix the seller wants something in writing from someone with a license. You got a license?

Old 09-09-2011, 05:29 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
That is fine if you know what you are doing and buying or not buying is the only issue. If however you want to get a price reduction or even a fix the seller wants something in writing from someone with a license. You got a license?
With so many houses available, it's always "to buy or not to buy" for me. I can always move to the next property.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
With so many houses available, it's always "to buy or not to buy" for me. I can always move to the next property.
Ahhh if only that were true...

There are those buyers...but I have three or four at the moment who are taking months to find the suitable house.

Missed one Wednesday. Three quarter million both ways. Got done in by no water in the casita and barking dogs next door...

Old 09-09-2011, 06:55 PM

23 posts, read 46,502 times
Good evening everybody!

Today, the seller (bank) accepted my counter offer for keeping the EMD no change.

Now, the seller side hands over its REPA for review and wants me sign it within 24 hours.

In general and for buyer’s interest, do I need to request something being changed in particular within REPA, or just accept it as ‘standard’ one?
Seller side agent also wants me to do the home inspections ASAP.

Anybody here would be kind enough to give me some recommendations for reputable individuals or companies for home inspections?

Thanks so much for help!

Chicago Bull

Old 09-09-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobull View Post
Good evening everybody!

Today, the seller (bank) accepted my counter offer for keeping the EMD no change.

Now, the seller side hands over its REPA for review and wants me sign it within 24 hours.

In general and for buyer’s interest, do I need to request something being changed in particular within REPA, or just accept it as ‘standard’ one?
Seller side agent also wants me to do the home inspections ASAP.

Anybody here would be kind enough to give me some recommendations for reputable individuals or companies for home inspections?

Thanks so much for help!

Chicago Bull
What is a REPA?

This some sort of bank purchase agreement or addendum?

Old 09-09-2011, 07:07 PM

23 posts, read 46,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
What is a REPA?

This some sort of bank purchase agreement?
REAL ESTATE PURCHASE ADDENDUM from BAC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas