Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:17 AM

421 posts, read 898,277 times

Advertisements

Okay, had a meeting last night with our listing agent here in OC CA> It's about time that we narrowed down our areas. Have been looking on line. Hubby wants to know about Tule Springs area, Pahrump and Henderson. He is retiring and I am bringing my business to my home office so not taking anyone's jobs. Please give opinions on those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 09:42 AM

687 posts, read 1,944,174 times
Pahrump and Henderson could not be more different. Never heard of Tule Springs. You need to take a road trip.

Good luck,
Croce

Old 09-09-2011, 09:55 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Tule Springs is NW Vegas. Just east of 95, north of Grand Teton.

I'd want to be more west, up the hill a bit. Better view that way. But "view" is always high on my list of features.

If you're thinking of living that far out of the way, may as well go a little further, up Kyle Canyon a mile or so -- there are some very nice developments up there.

Henderson is Henderson -- some of the nicest areas in the valley, some not so nice.

Pahrump, is not at all like Las Vegas. There's not a whole lot to do (legal prostitution aside), and it's generally more quiet than the valley. It's also cooler. I'm told there's a lot of meth in Pahrump, but I've never lived there and can't speak to that.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:58 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Tule Springs is now Floyd Lamb State Park...

Henderson is Henderson [part nice part not]

Pahrump is....well.....it's.....mmmmm......Here also.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:18 AM

421 posts, read 898,277 times
Looks like Pahrump is not the place for us lol

Old 09-09-2011, 12:00 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieW View Post
Looks like Pahrump is not the place for us lol
You broke that code didn't you? Pahrump is a large, dusty, ugly, rural area in the desert. Not pretty since they closed all the cotton farms in the 70's. It's not really a city with city amenities. You'd be driving to Las Vegas, 65 miles each way, for just about everything except groceries. Spring Mountain Pass between here and there can be closed a few times in winter for hours. At least the state divided the Pahrump highway so there aren't as many accidents, but I believe that most Pahrumpians commute to Las Vegas for work, so it's a busy 65 mile stretch. Then when you get to Las Vegas, you have to negotiate traffic to wherever you're going.

(It's another blow to those of us who have lived most of our lives in Las Vegas that we can no longer hunt rabbits and coyotes along the old 2-lane road at night like we did when there was less than 1,000 people in Pahrump.)

I think people get a certain idea about living in Pahrump that just doesn't translate to the kind of rural living in the east or Midwest (or the OC) that they are looking to find here. Las Vegas is nothing like Hollywood, or PMS-NBC, or CNN, or the LA Times, makes it out to be. Neither is Reno/Sparks. But the rest of Nevada that we know and love is old west. As for Pahrump it reminds me of a "Deadwood" kind of place, although I know I'll catch he** for that remark.

If you want western rural, but with amenities, try northern Nevada ─ like Elko for instance, or even the outskirts of Reno. Beautiful up there.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:18 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
pah....RUMP

the sound of an elephant phart .....

NOT my favorite place to live.....altho its STILL better then Kaliforniaaaa or anything east od the mississississississippi river

Old 09-09-2011, 12:20 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
pah....RUMP

the sound of an elephant phart .....
because it is...

Old 09-09-2011, 12:36 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Henderson is the 2nd largest city in Nevada now, and is a nice place to live. I find it hotter and more congested than the Northwest part of the Valley, but I'd live there and I'm particular. Almost bought there three times. But I probably wouldn't get excited about Henderson unless I owned a boat (close to Lake Mead).

The Tule Springs area is very nice part of Las Vegas IMO. Tule Springs itself is a City Park, full name, Floyd Lamb Park at Tule Springs. Floyd Lamb was a crooked politician that went to jail, but the name stuck after lots of arguing from both sides. It started out life as a working ranch way back when (the ruins of the first adobe shack are still there, still crumbling, still not looked after by city/state a**holes in charge), became a famous Divorce Ranch, and then City Park with a zoo, then State Park without the Zoo. The state gave it back to the city a few years ago. Until the beginning of this summer there was a riding stable there. It may just be closed until the commissioners receive the right bribes to reopen it, or for the construction going on there; take your pick.

There will eventually be a large National Park, Tule Springs Ice Age Park, beyond Floyd Lamb, as we are doing our best to preserve the early man/dinosaur bones sites around there. Tule Springs Ice Age Park

Some of the best views of the mountains are seen from Floyd Lamb Park, and I for one would love to live within walking distance of it, now that they've already ruined the area by building homes. It looks like it's one of the few places in town where they are still building too. It is also near Gilcrease Orchards, one of two pick your own stuff farms; and close to the Gilcrease bird sanctuary. Easy access to Mt. Charleston, and right on the edge of the largest National Wildlife Refuge in the Continental U.S. Desert NWR Corn Creek History, Fish and Wildlife Service

Old 09-09-2011, 02:21 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,121 times
I live in the Tule Springs area. I'm about a mile West of Floyd Lamb park, and walk my dogs there frequently. We love the park; ponds, desert, ducks, peacocks, the old ranch buildings... I am worried that they're going to screw it up with all the construction that's going on nearby, though (as Buzz pointed out). I'd love to see them leave the open desert and some of the lusher undeveloped spring-fed areas, but I imagine they'll overtake that eventually.

Anyways, my wife and I love it up here. We're 2mins from Kyle Canyon rd, which puts us about 25mins from Mt. Charleston, which makes for some great weekend hiking. As beautiful as the desert can be (and there are nice desert/mountain views all around here), it's nice to go hiking in some real woods every now and then.

Pretty much everything up here is new too, except for the interspersed older 1/4acre and larger ranch lots (would love to have one of those properties). And plenty of shopping close by, etc. If you're ok being 20-30mins from the strip, I recommend the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas