Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 05:00 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,982 times

Advertisements

i **REALLY** think you are being railroaded, that is the THIRD LIE, I have heard out of your agent now. - You can cancel WITHOUT ANY PENALTY During your due diligence period.

(what if the house had a unstable foundation, you would lose your earnest money because you where lied too??)

Tell your agent, that either he clears things up, or you walk, and you will be suing for malpractice, and misrepresentation, and you will do everything in your power to get his (her?) license revoked.

And I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU GET A AGENT CONSULTANT IN THERE **STAT**

Jonathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 05:10 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
i **REALLY** think you are being railroaded, that is the THIRD LIE, I have heard out of your agent now. - You can cancel WITHOUT ANY PENALTY During your due diligence period.

(what if the house had a unstable foundation, you would lose your earnest money because you where lied too??)

Tell your agent, that either he clears things up, or you walk, and you will be suing for malpractice, and misrepresentation, and you will do everything in your power to get his (her?) license revoked.

And I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU GET A AGENT CONSULTANT IN THERE **STAT**

Jonathan
What? An agent who's salary is dependent on the client's purchase of a house advising the client to buy a house, no matter what? Amazing.

I agree with Scott -- short sales are for cash buyers. It's just too hard to line all the ducks up if financing.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:36 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
What? An agent who's salary is dependent on the client's purchase of a house advising the client to buy a house, no matter what? Amazing.

I agree with Scott -- short sales are for cash buyers. It's just too hard to line all the ducks up if financing.
Why don't you stay out of things you don't understand?

What that agent is doing is threatening his or her commission not asssuring it.

And shorts work fine for conventional or even FHA financing.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:52 PM

719 posts, read 1,480,219 times
An RE friend told me that "short" sale is not actually because it is supposed to be quick (obviously, they never are) it is because the house typically sells for less than is owed. In other words, the purchase price falls "short" of the balance due, but the bank can decide to accept it.
Also.... would a bank really refuse the money if it was 14 days later than the 30 day period? Why in the worst market in the nation, when analysts are pointing toward the US sinking back into recession for a few more years, would a bank refuse the sale, just because it took an extra few days to get the loan?
It makes no sense to me.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:16 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Why don't you stay out of things you don't understand?

What that agent is doing is threatening his or her commission not asssuring it.

And shorts work fine for conventional or even FHA financing.
The agent is telling his/her client that if she doesn't go through with the purchase, she will lose her deposit. That clearly isn't the case, as you yourself have pointed out.

Sounds like pressure to me. Based with these facts, I see only two motives for pressuring the client not to cancel -- greed or incompetence. How is not presenting the facts acting in the clients best interest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Last comment. Don't buy the earnest money stuff. You got lots of ways out.
I don't buy a lot of what agents tell me. But then again, I'm an awfully skeptical person at heart.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:51 PM

31 posts, read 78,785 times
Thanks everyone for the help. I finally sat down and read through the purchase agreement, the short sale addendum and the lender approval letter. I realize then some of the answers to my questions are really there but I just didn't take the time to protect my own interest but instead, relying on my agent to spoon feed me information.

Period of due diligence is indeed 10 days. It starts from the calendar day after I receive the lender approval. During the period of due diligence, I, as the buyer have the exclusive right at my discretion to cancel the agreement. Upon such cancellation, the seller has to refund the EMD to me.

After waiting for eight months, I am tired of this deal. I do not want to participate any more in the game of either to proceed at my own risk or having to request for an extension and wait again at the lender's mercy. I have sent an e-mail requesting my agent to cancel this transaction and copy me on all correspondences. If I do not see the confirmation of cancellation by tomorrow, I'll just send an e-mail to the seller's agent and the Title company myself to cancel it.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:32 AM

GOOD FOR YOU!
You will be next time smarter, and the Next house will be 100x better then this one!

Jonathan

Old 09-13-2011, 07:56 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
All I can say is that I hope you just don't like this house any more. What you're encountering is pretty much a normal part of a short sale purchase (sure it doesn't happen to everyone, but this shouldn't be unexpected).

Normal course of action would be to draft up an addendum asking to extend the closing date and extend the due diligence period based on the adjusted closing date. The seller should pretty much agree to anything remotely reasonable since they have no leverage and if you walk they get to start all over. The seller is the only person who needs to agree to adjust your due diligence period or give you some additional time to negotiate the closing date with the bank.

Additionally, if the home is in an HOA, you have an additional right to cancel without penalty until 5 days after receiving the HOA docs.

It is frustrating to have this type of thing happen, but I would take a step back and look at what you're trying to accomplish. If you've waited 8 months, I assume you like the house? The standard city-date poster response is something along the lines of don't jump through any hoops for any deal and only pay under market since "it's a buyers market" and "there any many homes coming to market", which may be true, but only you know what you're looking for and if that is true. If you're buying a 3/2 anywhere in town, then yes, you probably can follow that logic. If you want a certain home in a certain area, then you will most definitely be jumping through hoops and possibly paying over market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubyww View Post
Thanks everyone for the help. I finally sat down and read through the purchase agreement, the short sale addendum and the lender approval letter. I realize then some of the answers to my questions are really there but I just didn't take the time to protect my own interest but instead, relying on my agent to spoon feed me information.

Period of due diligence is indeed 10 days. It starts from the calendar day after I receive the lender approval. During the period of due diligence, I, as the buyer have the exclusive right at my discretion to cancel the agreement. Upon such cancellation, the seller has to refund the EMD to me.

After waiting for eight months, I am tired of this deal. I do not want to participate any more in the game of either to proceed at my own risk or having to request for an extension and wait again at the lender's mercy. I have sent an e-mail requesting my agent to cancel this transaction and copy me on all correspondences. If I do not see the confirmation of cancellation by tomorrow, I'll just send an e-mail to the seller's agent and the Title company myself to cancel it.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:16 AM

Jeff,
I agree with you. But this agent was truly 'twisting her in the wind' and no house is worth that kind of shafting. I bought my house on a 'short sale' and had some of these issues as well, but the knowledge of 'how things are done' has made me a smarter person.

Jonathan

Old 09-15-2011, 06:09 PM

31 posts, read 78,785 times
Since we really like the place, we were briefly contemplating of rescinding the cancellation and ask for an extension. However, there is another problem that the house is now rented and they said they want to handle the tenant outside escrow. First, the condition of the house can be of question now it is rented. Second, even if I go through with the deal, I assume that I need to give the tenant's notice in order to get the house. Third, is it normal to handle the tenant outside escrow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: