Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 10:12 PM

24 posts, read 142,765 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy in Vegas. I want to spend under 250K for 2 bedrooms. I'd really like to be in an area where I can walk to things (when it's not a million degrees out.) I have heard this exists at The District but that is too expensive for me. Is any there another area in my price range where I can find this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 10:42 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,776 times
You could try looking at the neighborhoods directly east of Boca Park (which is a fairly nice, and rapidly growing, shopping area). It really is a good choice, as you'd be in close walking distance to other things too, such as a movie theatre, a golf course, and quite a few other shopping centers.

Neighborhoods to the west are nice too, but far more expensive.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:04 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,683,662 times
The District isn't very walkable, that is why they have a trolley, because its scary to cross Green Valley Parkway, or even to venture into the parking lot, lol...

The areas around Rainbow and Lake Mead or Fort Apache and Tropicana/Flamingo may be what you want...some may even kill me for saying this, but anywhere near Maryland Parkway is good for that too...East of Maryland is much more favorable than west of Maryland, except for the Las Vegas Country Club...These 3 areas would definitely probably be in your price range...the area around Boca Park doesn't have nearly as much shopping as Rainbow/Lake Mead or off of Maryland Parkway...

Old 08-19-2007, 01:43 AM

I personally wouldn't feel safe walking around some of the neighborhoods circa Rainbow and Lake Mead....

And I think that Boca Park does have better shopping. The Rainbow and Lake Mead area has Best Buy, Ulta, Old Navy, a couple bookstores, a couple pet stores, and that's about it. Nothing too exciting.

The Boca Park area has a grocery store, Target, Bath & Body Works, The Gap, Banana Republic, Kohls, The Sharper Image, Pottery Barn, Pier One, Barnes and Noble, The Great Indoors, a pet store, multiple shoe stores, a few cell phone providers, and lots of boutiques. There's also a wider variety of restaurants.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:44 AM

I will second the recommendation for Fort Apache and Tropicana/Flamingo though. It's such a nice area!

And also the areas surrounding Charleston and the 215.

(But with these two areas, housing gets a bit more expensive).

Old 08-19-2007, 07:05 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Boca is Fort Apache Charleston. Within a half mile there is a condo conversion Park One which I would not recommend which is available in your price range. That is it. You can pick up a townhouse in Queensridge or a small home in Peccole starting at 300K.

At one mile there are some choices. Small homes and purpose built condos to the east.

Far and away for easy walking is the Qridge Townhouses. But they are 300K and have 175 per month fees.

There are lots of choices around Rainbow Lake Mead. Particularly livable are the areas around Smoke Ranch & Rainbow. I would walk in this area. I would be more cautious to the east and south.

Under no circumstances would I walk along Maryland after dark. That would simply be asking for trouble. Might be OK by car but not walking.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:05 AM

Default Yeah, 300 is way too high for me.

what zip codes would I be looking in for Rainbow Lake Mead and Smoke Ranch & Rainbow? Thanks!

Old 08-19-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janesmithjanesmith View Post
what zip codes would I be looking in for Rainbow Lake Mead and Smoke Ranch & Rainbow? Thanks!
89108 watch your PM

Old 08-19-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
89108 watch your PM
So I just looked at the map and 89108 appears to be in the North West. Everyone I've talked to is telling me to avoid the North West, North and North East at all costs. What's the deal with that?

Old 08-19-2007, 01:37 PM

Be caereful who you listen to.

Summerlin is generally considered Northwest and is problably the nicest single area of Las Vegas. Probably 50% of the nice housing in Las Vegas is in the NW and North.

There are some old prejudices against North Las Vegas. In general the south side of NLV is pretty rough. But the north side is just fine. Anything around 215 is fine.

You should also note that you are working a price point well below the median in Las Vegas. That will not get you into the upper neighborhoods.

Even 89108 can be tricky. The far southern end gets a little rough. So stay north of Lake Mead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas