Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:34 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times

Advertisements

When I lived there (may be moving back next week, job lined up), I thought it was slightly more like Phoenix/Tucson and not only because of summer weather.....just wonder what others think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 07:37 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
No relation to San Diego or LA. Phoenix and Vegas are much more alike.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:25 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
I don't see Lassss Vegas as like any other city I've seen with the possible exception of Reno. Even then, Reno is high desert and we are lower, hotter, and drier. Although there are a few similarities with most western big cities. But no other city has a location like we do because it's the only one there is. Although, whenever I pass through Victorville I'm reminded of Las Vegas in the 60's. As far as people and architecture, I suppose it is more like Los Angeles since mostly LA developers built Las Vegas, and mostly LA people came here during the mad rush. Arizona is just too different, being in a different desert, with different flora and fauna, people, architecture (somewhat), and weather. It's hotter and wetter in Phoenix.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:43 PM

46 posts, read 74,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I don't see Lassss Vegas as like any other city I've seen with the possible exception of Reno. Even then, Reno is high desert and we are lower, hotter, and drier. Although there are a few similarities with most western big cities. But no other city has a location like we do because it's the only one there is. Although, whenever I pass through Victorville I'm reminded of Las Vegas in the 60's. As far as people and architecture, I suppose it is more like Los Angeles since mostly LA developers built Las Vegas, and mostly LA people came here during the mad rush. Arizona is just too different, being in a different desert, with different flora and fauna, people, architecture (somewhat), and weather. It's hotter and wetter in Phoenix.
How can you compare Vegas to Reno? Reno has tress, Vegas doesn't. Reno has liveable temperatures, Vegas well is HELL in the Summer. People in Reno are nice and the people in Vegas are rude, assoles. The list goes on and on.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:50 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyFool View Post
How can you compare Vegas to Reno? Reno has tress, Vegas doesn't. Reno has liveable temperatures, Vegas well is HELL in the Summer. People in Reno are nice and the people in Vegas are rude, assoles. The list goes on and on.
That is your opinion. I have lived in Reno and could not handle it after only one month. Reno is absolutely hell in the winter unlike Vegas. Vegas has plenty of trees and I have met some real a$$holes while in was in Reno. It is not that black and white.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:55 PM

36 posts, read 60,660 times
I'm a native Angeleno who has just moved to Las Vegas, and I have to say that Las Vegas is NOTHING like Los Angeles. Not that it's a bad thing, they are both very unique. And I think the only way Vegas compares to Arizona is in weather.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:36 PM

328 posts, read 726,042 times
Quote:
Who are you? I like hell in the summer here in Las Vegas.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:36 PM

719 posts, read 1,479,743 times
I have been to Reno and to LV. each time for about a month long stay. And I will tell you that imo Reno is old, run down and redneck compared to LV. And I am an expert in all things redneck.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:49 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE and the occassional armyfool...

LAS VEGAS [not VEGAS or vegas or LOS VEGAS] is EXACTLY LIKE one and only one place in the universe....LAS VEGAS.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:47 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
How can you compare Vegas to Reno? Reno has tress, Vegas doesn't. Reno has livable temperatures, Vegas well is HELL in the Summer. People in Reno are nice and the people in Vegas are rude, assoles. The list goes on and on.
Maybe you should re-read what I said. And Las Vegas does too have TRESS, whatever that is.

I lived in Reno for a couple of years. People in Reno are no more or less friendly than here unless they find out you are from southern Nevada. Then they hate your guts. But even that can be overcome.

By saying "the possible exception of Reno" makes it not definite ...just similar in some ways. Both are in Nevada, both are desert, both offer gaming and entertainment, and I pointed out the differences between high desert and, well, low desert. Of course there is even lower desert than Las Vegas, and even higher desert than Reno, isn't there?

He asked "in our opinion". My opinion is that Reno, different as it is, is closer to being similar to Las Vegas than Phoenix, Tuscan, LA, or San Diego.

I take it you're from Reno, thus the attitude towards Southern Nevada?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: