Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 5,734 times

Advertisements

Hi. I was under the impression (per various police interviews and news articles) that crime in gated communities was as high or higher than non-gated communities.

I'm using the Metro site but it is a bit difficult to get through and I was hoping someone could help.

Does anyone have a report (link?) that quantifies crime in the gated communities compared to non-gated? Not just the raw #'s but % as well since the majority of people work and live outside of gated areas.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 09:50 AM

307 posts, read 927,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerednaw View Post
Hi. I was under the impression (per various police interviews and news articles) that crime in gated communities was as high or higher than non-gated communities.

I'm using the Metro site but it is a bit difficult to get through and I was hoping someone could help.

Does anyone have a report (link?) that quantifies crime in the gated communities compared to non-gated? Not just the raw #'s but % as well since the majority of people work and live outside of gated areas.

Thanks.
I'd be interested myself, particularly Gated versus GUARD Gated, such as Red Rock Country Club or The Canyons.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:55 PM

818 posts, read 3,698,255 times
How about alarmed homes within guard gated communities vs. maximum security penitentiaries?

Old 08-21-2007, 06:04 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Not practical. Nobody has the data in the right format. It is not impossible but you would have to have a lot of man power or direct access to the data bases. The county assessors data base for instance does not know what is gated or guard gated. The GLVAR does not know either..it knows that the house for sale is gated or guard gated but that information is not linked to the tract.

It is relatively easy to get at the information for any given tract. you can obtain the Crimeview report for the zip and then sort out the addresses from the desired tract. You can get the tract streets from the assessors data base easily. However that data base does only tracts...not master plans...so multiple track properties would have to be hand assembled.

Then there is gated and gated. And guard gated and guard gated. The ultimate places have 24 hour manned gates and rolling patrols. Others have day time guards and automatic gates at night. Sun City Summerlin has no gates but has multiple rolling patrols 24 hours. Very low end places may be gated but the gates are left open all day.

Anyway Red Rock Canyon had 2 Burglaries, 2 Assault and Batteries, 3 other disturbances for 636 properties. Spanish Trails had 6 Burglaries, 2 Assaults and Batteries, 1 other disturbances for 1284 properties.

Non gate guarded Sun city Summerlin had 6 Burglaries, 1 Robbery, 2 Assaults and Battery and 3 other disturbances. There are 7700 properties in Sun City.

Note that a lot of the burglaries are close to the walls or boundaries. Places on the golf courses also appear targetted.

All the numbers are for the last 60 days and extracted from Crimeview by one technique or another.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
How about alarmed homes within guard gated communities vs. maximum security penitentiaries?
Sounds like Chest resents those who can afford to live in Guard Gated communities with alarms on their homes. As they say "To each his own".

Old 08-22-2007, 08:19 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
all this gated and guard and burglary stuff sounds so....comforting????

Kind of prison-like, no?

Old 08-22-2007, 08:44 AM

818 posts, read 3,698,255 times
People are welcome to take whatever precautions they feel necessary. I was just pointing that the measures taken to keep criminals out of your house and keeping criminals in a prison are basically the same.

Everyone has a right to feel safe. It's not about envy or jealousy for me, I just feel safe without all this stuff.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
all this gated and guard and burglary stuff sounds so....comforting????

Kind of prison-like, no?
Why do people live in doormen high rise buildings? Not to live in prisions, far from it, but to have a greater sense of security in a very unsecure world. False security? Who knows? It's whatever rocks your boat.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:26 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEPNYC View Post
Why do people live in doormen high rise buildings? Not to live in prisions, far from it, but to have a greater sense of security in a very unsecure world. False security? Who knows? It's whatever rocks your boat.
it's a status thing (doormen). Maybe as gates are in LV, too?

Old 08-22-2007, 10:58 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
There are two schools. Many feel safe in them...many think them destructive of neighborhoods.

The SW master plan had a recommendation against them based on disruption of neighborhoods. I personally have no objections to small ones but I think they should be forbidden to block streets. It is unfair to the adjacent streets and prevents normal flow for the area. We have one spot in the NW where flow to the local park, a nice park, is prevented in a number of directions by gated communities. I don't think that should happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: