U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-13-2011, 03:37 PM

5,048 posts, read 5,537,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Apples and oranges. What are you, an aristocrat or sumpin'?

None of the services you mentioned actually charge $65+/hour with a 2-man minimum.
Neither do interstate movers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 03:42 PM

2,791 posts, read 1,648,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Oh yes they do! Do a google search and see for yourself. I was actually being CHEAP with that $65/hour number.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:18 PM

41 posts, read 37,302 times
This may sound kinda stupid, but is the drive relatively easy? The reason I ask is that I heard that once you get towards the mountains such as Colorado, driving can be tricky as the roads can become steep. Coming from a coastal area, I am not familiar with driving mountainous areas.

To be honest, I would love to have the opportunity to drive across this country instead of hiring movers, as this might be the only chance I have to do so. I will be bringing a car, boxes of clothes, a bike and thats it. Like the previous poster, said, I know the moving companies would still tear me a new one despite not having furniture.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:41 PM

5,048 posts, read 5,537,937 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Oh yes they do! Do a google search and see for yourself. I was actually being CHEAP with that $65/hour number.
You do understand that the key word here is interstate, right?

Old 10-13-2011, 05:10 PM

422 posts, read 307,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
Rent a Penske. Unless every marginal hour of your time is directly convertible to money at a fairly high rate, I do not understand why one would use a moving company.

Have lots of friends here to load the truck, we don't know anyone at all in LV. Arthritis prevents us from carrying much.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:13 PM

422 posts, read 307,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieW View Post
Have lots of friends here to load the truck, we don't know anyone at all in LV. Arthritis prevents us from carrying much.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure that they will help!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:03 PM

2,791 posts, read 1,648,474 times
Quote:
You do understand that the key word here is interstate, right?
Oops! My mistake, sorry.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:34 AM

137 posts, read 107,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babycoconut View Post
This may sound kinda stupid, but is the drive relatively easy? The reason I ask is that I heard that once you get towards the mountains such as Colorado, driving can be tricky as the roads can become steep. Coming from a coastal area, I am not familiar with driving mountainous areas.

To be honest, I would love to have the opportunity to drive across this country instead of hiring movers, as this might be the only chance I have to do so. I will be bringing a car, boxes of clothes, a bike and thats it. Like the previous poster, said, I know the moving companies would still tear me a new one despite not having furniture.
That's what we did when we moved from NY to GULAG in 1991. With a car in tow. Very boring for the most part. 3 days of nice views of the road and eventually mountains. Both Nebraska and then Utah were more than boring, especially Utah salts for miles and miles and miles...

We're planning to rent a truck when we move to LV from NorCal within next 5-6 weeks. Penske quoted me $350 plus tax and fees, for 3 days and free mileage. For a 24 footer. Add gas and it looks like roughly $700-750 all in. Great deal, IMO. And I seriously do not trust moving companies. Our earlier plan to move to FL was met with "... roughly $6500..." estimate. As time went by the price somehow dropped to $2000, from same company. Not a good sign and in all probability we'd be dealing with "your stuff is in storage until you pay $$$ more..." or t least some belongings making a vanishing act in the process. We were ready to drive a rental truck to FL, Las Vegas is more than an easy drive now.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:26 AM
Status: "Unpacking from final move to Las Vegas" (set 22 days ago)

400 posts, read 248,683 times
Quote:
We used a U-Pack/We Drive company recommended at movingscam, the move went without incident. It ended up costing considerably LESS than renting a Penske.
I will be moving from Cape Cod next year. I plan on using company recommended by ScoopLV.
You can hire a couple of laborers in LV to help unload. There are guys hanging around Lowes looking for day work.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:33 AM
Status: "Unpacking from final move to Las Vegas" (set 22 days ago)

400 posts, read 248,683 times
Quote:

I don't know if this will help you BABYCOCONUT, but here is a vacation blog I wrote in 2008 when I drove from Cape Cod to LV and back:

TRIP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas