U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:26 AM

5,637 posts, read 4,694,853 times
I wish I could find more photos like the second one. I love that angle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 10:24 AM

6,011 posts, read 4,418,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
What gave it away? It is actually not bad living up above the strip. No crime, no HOA, no traffic. The only thing that sucks is going to the bathroom. But I have found some ways to merge my number 1s and 2s with the weather. Notice that Vegas only gets occasional sprinkles here and there.
But that shot wasn't taken from a helicopter. That's the the view from the bar at the top of Mandalay Bay.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:26 AM

6,011 posts, read 4,418,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I don't call it Sin City. Just a few do, and the few that do are not referring to the city as a whole. They are referring to the tiny little part of The Strip. The Strip is not Las Vegas and Las Vegas is not the Strip.
Plenty of normal people here. Probably just a million or so.
Most of the "sin" is slightly west of the strip, anyway.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:34 AM

15,387 posts, read 21,475,919 times
and in some peoples eyes it isn't SIN

Old 11-08-2011, 11:28 AM

776 posts, read 889,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Interesting....I'll give you. Normal...absolutely not.

Normal towns are not nicknamed Sin City. And normal towns usually have more residents, than non-residents sleeping there, in any given year.

My life has been far more "normal" in Vegas than when I lived in the NYC area, rural North Carolina, or Providence, RI. My wife and I enjoy a nice house here, walk our dog in the park every day, go hiking on Mt. Charleston, go out to eat at a nice restaurant every now and then, go to grocery stores a few times per week, Walmart and Lowes occasionally, go bowling, work in front of our computers most of the day, throw dinner parties, etc, etc... Pretty darn "normal" by most common definitions...

Old 11-08-2011, 11:51 AM

12,244 posts, read 15,950,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
My life has been far more "normal" in Vegas than when I lived in the NYC area, rural North Carolina, or Providence, RI. My wife and I enjoy a nice house here, walk our dog in the park every day, go hiking on Mt. Charleston, go out to eat at a nice restaurant every now and then, go to grocery stores a few times per week, Walmart and Lowes occasionally, go bowling, work in front of our computers most of the day, throw dinner parties, etc, etc... Pretty darn "normal" by most common definitions...
I'm glad things are working out for you there and you are enjoying life. I'm sure many others also love living in Las Vegas.

Personally, I still would never refer to Las Vegas as a normal city.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:54 AM

12,244 posts, read 15,950,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
But beautiful upstate gnu yerk isn't like the real world....
au contrare...doesn't get more realer (is that a word???). Hell, one guy down the road even shoots and cooks his own squirrel...and he's sitting in a log cabin worth at least a half mill! We don't got that far...we buy our meat in plastic wrapped containers at our local supermarket.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:30 PM

1,346 posts, read 918,936 times
Quote:
au contrare...doesn't get more realer (is that a word???). Hell, one guy down the road even shoots and cooks his own squirrel...and he's sitting in a log cabin worth at least a half mill! We don't got that far...we buy our meat in plastic wrapped containers at our local supermarket.
And between him and his wife, they have a full set of teeth.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:50 PM

474 posts, read 371,063 times
Quote:
Not here in Beautiful Upstate NY. We like our log cabins in the mountains.
There are log cabins about 40 minutes away on Mt. Charleston. The residents love it up there, but close enough to the city if they ever want to come down.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:52 PM

517 posts, read 850,802 times
Quote:

and in your world, eating squirrel is more 'normal' or 'real'?

*blankly stares at you*

as a former east coaster, tri-state to be exact, NOONE i grew up with eats squirrel.

only in a post-apocolyptic society is that even an option...

i guess all your posts in this thread are all the reasons why you choose NOT to call Las Vegas your home. and more interestingly, you have very strong opinions of why life cannot be normal for the people who do actually live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas