U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2011, 07:01 PM
 
192 posts, read 194,023 times
Reputation: 179

Advertisements

I just moved here in June and I like the hot weather! It wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. I moved to far North Las Vegas and it is very nice and not the "ghetto". Yes there are some rough areas near Las Vegas, but the area North of Craig is generally pretty nice. Some people speak ill of North Las Vegas because it is a mixed race community, but I find that part of it's charm. Come on up sometime and see for yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2011, 12:54 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
16 posts, read 18,421 times
Reputation: 30
Default I can't relate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadesandRoses View Post
I moved to Henderson June 2011 after living in Santa Monica, CA for five (5) years and before that being raised in Colorado. Each place is totally different and has good and bad things about living in these places. I left CA because I just got so sick and tired of the traffic, pollution and the majority of people who are missing a human compassionate chip. Nevada was the closest place to get away and within driving distance to go back and visit friends.

OK. Las Vegas/Henderson is excruciatingly HOT in the summer months. I have no idea how the average person functions. I felt like it was going to swallow me up at some point. Some people love it and for me I just know I couldn't look forward to every summer of inferno hell lol.

I live in the Green Valley Henderson area and it's beautiful and quiet and the people are very friendly. They don't really get out and talk to each other but whatever it is what it is. It is so much harder to make friends in Las Vegas/Henderson there is almost no social element other than people running to the casinos and shows and unless you have family/friends here it can be lonely.

I love the Green Valley area because it's so walk-able, clean and modern and everything is within walking distance it's great; and running trails. I can walk across the street to the store, Kohl's, CVS, Walgreen's, restaurants, Fresh and Easy, Gold Gym, fitness centers; you name it it's here. One thing about Henderson is that it was a very well planned city I just adore it here. Now people always say that Henderson is slightly higher priced than the rest of Las Vegas and well after paying $2000 in rent for 5 years in Santa Monica I will gladly pay $1000 for a 3 bedroom House any day here in Henderson. Oh and my house is just lovely; in a gated bedroom community and I will miss it but I will not miss the heat. The house sales are just amazing. There are a lot of homes for sale and they average here in Green Valley $119,000 and up; yes you read right. I would also suggest not signing a 12 month lease if you've never lived here before because during the summer I wanted to turn around and run back to CA but I'm locked into a 12 month lease. However I'm glad I stuck it out because I wouldn't have known how beautiful it gets in the winter here.

Now the negatives. The electric bill OMG. Paying like $300 a month for electricity was a shell shocker. Nevada Energy has got to be the biggest rip off and none of it's subsidized so word to the wise find a place that includes some or part of the utilities. Because after electricity, gas, phone, cable, car. I'm paying about what I was paying in living costs in California and I think slightly more. Nevada isn't supposed to have some state taxes and I'm confused about that because sometimes I'm charged tax at the stores and sometimes I'm not. My only other complaint is that it is so darn hard to meet people here. It's so quiet compared to what I left behind in Santa Monica. I remember thinking something was really wrong or the houses had ghosts in them lol. Now I don't like Las Vegas as much as Henderson but it's still friendly. However I wouldn't go strolling anywhere in North Las Vegas much of it is like projects and ghettos; just older neighborhoods more "run down" than Henderson. I do love how Nevada has much safer drivers than CA and much more considerate. I never feel as though I'm going to get run down like I always did in CA. Ahh it's so nice and calm here.

I really hope this post helps anyone who is contemplating a move to Las Vegas area. Note there just aren't a lot of jobs in Las Vegas unless you are a Professional or in the Medical field. The schools both College and Secondary just aren't that great although Henderson boasts having a better school district. The last thing I will say is that Henderson and Las Vegas are so diverse just a mecca of people from all around the country and world and I love that.

Happy Hunting!

Sorry, but I can't relate to your comments. I live in the Northwest and have been for several years. Where I am, there are no street lights, curbs, gutters and a great view of the city. I'm glad that you will be getting out and seeing what the other areas have to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 12:17 PM
 
3,172 posts, read 2,534,682 times
Reputation: 3135
I don't live in Vegas yet but I have lived in many different cities and I have found every city has pockets of places you may not want to wander in unless your known in that area. One constant is money affords different options.

To me N. Calif. has great weather but the cost of living is high but Vegas has a lower cost of living (pound for pound) and some great entertainment options.. No place is perfect.. I guess is some respect the Vegas heat is like a filter. You have to want o live there to deal with it long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2011, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
16 posts, read 18,421 times
Reputation: 30
Default Las Vegas and Northern California Have Similarities

I cant relate to N. Ca either but your right about the pockets. I live in the NW (rural area) and don't have an issue with walking at nights. For anyone interested in the Las Vegas life style, here is a good place to start, Real Estate Reports - Real Estate - Las Vegas, NV | Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I don't live in Vegas yet but I have lived in many different cities and I have found every city has pockets of places you may not want to wander in unless your known in that area. One constant is money affords different options.

To me N. Calif. has great weather but the cost of living is high but Vegas has a lower cost of living (pound for pound) and some great entertainment options.. No place is perfect.. I guess is some respect the Vegas heat is like a filter. You have to want o live there to deal with it long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2011, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
16 posts, read 18,421 times
Reputation: 30
Smile Common queston about Las Vegas

I have to agree with you. I to live in the Northwest and it's terrific. I have no street lites, curbs or gutters and last but not least, my neighbors have horses. I hear things like this all day, visit my page and let me know what you think, Real Estate Reports - Real Estate - Las Vegas, NV | Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWNLV View Post
I just moved here in June and I like the hot weather! It wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. I moved to far North Las Vegas and it is very nice and not the "ghetto". Yes there are some rough areas near Las Vegas, but the area North of Craig is generally pretty nice. Some people speak ill of North Las Vegas because it is a mixed race community, but I find that part of it's charm. Come on up sometime and see for yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2011, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
11,495 posts, read 20,168,486 times
Reputation: 4086
A very therapeutic thing to do is go out on your days off and just drive around neighborhoods that you aren't familiar with. Don't just drive on the major streets either. Go into the communities behind the block walls and look around at the houses and yards, etc. Check out the businesses too. If you are up to it, the really best way to learn what's out there is either on foot or on a bike. And go to the outer edges of town. You'd be surprised what's there. People are amazed at some of the small ranches in the NW, or the Floyd Lamb Park at Tule Springs, or Sunset Park, or Seven Hills, or off the misnamed Blue Diamond Highway. But just off the main drags that we all are used to whizzing by on are some interesting places behind those walls. Even those "bad" areas of town are nice and interesting in the daytime. There is really no place in Las Vegas, NLV, or Henderson that is too dangerous to drive in during the day. If you get out and about you'll soon feel more a part of this town, and maybe some of y'all will stop b*tch'n.

It's a great town, and still TBCOTA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:31 AM
 
33 posts, read 43,151 times
Reputation: 28
"OK. Las Vegas/Henderson is excruciatingly HOT in the summer months."
Try living in Phoenix or Houston! Seriously, most places are hot in the summer.

We lived in Vegas for four years and loved it. We plan to move back in a couple of months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 12:08 PM
 
486 posts, read 435,275 times
Reputation: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVPoker1 View Post
That, and I have a two story 5 bedroom house with 2 A/Cs and never broke $200/month set at 77-78. I'm in Summerlin where it is a bit cooler, but $300 power bills on a house renting for $1000 likely had a very cool setting or is not efficient in some other way.
Does that include a pool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Sunset Beach, CA
38 posts, read 79,274 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAngelina View Post
"OK. Las Vegas/Henderson is excruciatingly HOT in the summer months."
Try living in Phoenix or Houston! Seriously, most places are hot in the summer.

We lived in Vegas for four years and loved it. We plan to move back in a couple of months.
I think you are being UNREALISTIC when you say most places are HOT in the summer. I have lived in a lot of places and have never experienced anything like the desert heat and well yes that's because it's the DESERT. Here in the summer I went outside for 5 minutes and I couldn't breathe, started sweating profusely and I thought I was going to die. It's the kind of weather that you can die in. On the flip side the winters will freeze you to death. I thought I knew cold nope you don't know cold until you have been in the desert cold. The only plus to weather in in NV is October and the Spring. This weather has been absolutely horrid. But I still love it but just not enough to stay. I may be back when I retire but I got to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 11:25 PM
 
Location: Sunrise
7,289 posts, read 5,528,084 times
Reputation: 5011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadesandRoses View Post
I think you are being UNREALISTIC when you say most places are HOT in the summer. I have lived in a lot of places and have never experienced anything like the desert heat and well yes that's because it's the DESERT. Here in the summer I went outside for 5 minutes and I couldn't breathe, started sweating profusely and I thought I was going to die. It's the kind of weather that you can die in. On the flip side the winters will freeze you to death. I thought I knew cold nope you don't know cold until you have been in the desert cold. The only plus to weather in in NV is October and the Spring. This weather has been absolutely horrid. But I still love it but just not enough to stay. I may be back when I retire but I got to go.
Humankind sprung up along the shores of Lake Turkana. I've visited Lake Turkana in the summer, and it's the only place I've ever been that's hotter than Las Vegas in August.

We're a resilient people. You're not going to die. Go move to Dead Horse, Alaska, and then tell me how much you hate heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top