U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 11:47 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,159,789 times

Advertisements

We currently live in California and will be purchasing a 2nd home in Henderson. One of the best things we have done to our home in Ca is that last year we installed solar panels to offset our electricity cost. Since flipping the switch on the panels in March of this year we have not had a bill over $2 and a few have even been under $1. In comparison we had bills last summer of $400+ during the hotter months.

When I view Google Earth images over the Henderson area I don't see any homes with solar panels for electricity. I do see a lot of solar water installs for pools etc but no electric.

It could be that the Google Earth images are old or that CCR's in the HOA areas prevent their installation because, let's face it - they are not very attractive or it could be that there are no incentives (or crappy incentives) from govt and electric company to steer people in that direction.

What do you suppose is the reason for so few solar electric installs in the area? Because it WILL be one of the first improvements I plan to make to my new house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 01:27 PM

1,819 posts, read 3,201,437 times
I believe it is purely financial. CA tends to have much better state rebate programs towards solar installation.

NV Energy does have a residential solar rebate program, but it's full for this year and from what I heard, the demand far exceeds the funding.

That, and I'm sure the fact that the majority of homes being underwater has a huge effect. Who wants to dump money into a home that's already deeply underwater?

Old 11-11-2011, 01:30 PM

3,683 posts, read 8,316,110 times
My guesses:

1) Payback period was too long with flat rates of less than $0.12 per kwh.

2) Most Las Vegans barely have enough money to pay their mortgage, let alone make a big investment in a PV array.

3) CA's financial incentives were better than NV's, while they lasted.

4) Most Las Vegans are too simpleminded to consider investments with long time horizons.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:50 PM

10,869 posts, read 14,210,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
My guesses:

1) Payback period was too long with flat rates of less than $0.12 per kwh.

2) Most Las Vegans barely have enough money to pay their mortgage, let alone make a big investment in a PV array.

3) CA's financial incentives were better than NV's, while they lasted.

4) Most Las Vegans are too simpleminded to consider investments with long time horizons.
I agree with all of this. Although "simpleminded" is probably too strong.

We looked long and hard at PV solar. But the numbers didn't add up. (And while I believe there is more to it than just dollars and cents, that must be part of the decision.)

What we did instead was make our house unusually energy efficient. Now that we pay $40/month for electricity, it makes no financial sense at all to install PV.

Even with a small system, we're currently looking at a 20-year break-even point. And that doesn't work for us. I'm not going to assume that we can install a big system and collect energy checks from NV Energy every month. I doubt they'd let that happen for very long.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:08 PM

369 posts, read 680,930 times
I have solar on my home. It works quite well. Also the homes off Concord Way (89015) have solar prebuilt into them.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:14 PM

787 posts, read 1,557,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
I have solar on my home. It works quite well. Also the homes off Concord Way (89015) have solar prebuilt into them.

What was your initial outlay, and how long for you to re-coup costs? Did you get any significant gov incentives? How big (KW) is your system?

Old 11-11-2011, 08:10 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,159,789 times
I took a look at the neighborhood with Concord Way on Google. I can see where many of the roofs are colored differently in some areas. No actual panels though. Is there some other technology at work there besides PV panels?Solar Power Options In Henderson-untitled.jpg
You can see it in the houses on the south side of the street.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:56 PM

625 posts, read 636,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

What we did instead was make our house unusually energy efficient. Now that we pay $40/month for electricity, it makes no financial sense at all to install PV.
Care to share your tips at keeping elec bill down to only 40 a month?

Old 11-13-2011, 07:06 PM

10,869 posts, read 14,210,148 times
Use the search function. I've posted the info several times already.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:16 PM

28 posts, read 15,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
I took a look at the neighborhood with Concord Way on Google. I can see where many of the roofs are colored differently in some areas. No actual panels though. Is there some other technology at work there besides PV panels?Attachment 87206
You can see it in the houses on the south side of the street.
Those appear to be integrated roof tiles with the built in PV. Not very efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas