U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Las Vegas: safe area, violent crime.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:22 AM

24 posts, read 99,413 times

Advertisements

It must be down right discouraging to make yourself a success than spend the money to buy a nice home with a nice yard and maybe a pool with the hope that you might enjoy life in peace without having to worry about your security and possessions.Only to realize that this is too much to ask!!
I have been reading the Vegas post for a while now,not because i am going to move there or have ever thought about it but because it is the most interesting ,entertaining and informative of all the post on city data.But the "SUMMERLIN VISTAS" thread is nothing to laugh at,my impression from reading the Vegas post is that certain area of Vegas where safe.I saw on OLECAP(the great!) invaluable neighborhood crime statistics colored map(witch i have printed and blown-up) that the Summerlin area witch is in the green zone is suppose to be safe,therefore to read the dismay in many of member accounts of their nasty experiences with crime infuriates me!Many members have pointed out in other threads that the PIMPS AND THEIR HOOKERS ALONG WITH THE DOPE DEALERS have taken residence in the area!!??
In other cities such as my home town Toronto(or Denver,witch hopefully by this time next year i will have relocated to)you have contained areas where the 2 legged piles of human waist whom are notorious for committing crimes are contain.In neighborhoods like summerlin you find local police precinct(not security guards in patrol cars) assign specifically to patrol these upscale areas and are stringently instructed to stop and investigate any suspect whom look out of place.The officers are "protected" and can therefore ignore the vacant and convenient calls of profiling or racism ect. witch is to often use by some when they can get their own way!The police always know those whom are of a minority groups whom reside in these neighborhoods and THEY are NEVER bothered anyway.
The end result is that these areas RARELY(not never but rarely) have any kind of problems with this stuff.
So maybe the time as come for the people in the upscale areas of Las Vegas of all races,creeds,religions and nationalities whom have work hard for what they got to use their political muscle and monies to open police precinct in their areas in order to make them unappealing to those whom do not belong there to come and F*CK around!! Even if this would mean a severe hike in your tax bill, i don't think you really don't have any choice!
GOOD LUCK!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 02:18 AM

151 posts, read 176,416 times
Summerlin is generally a good area, but in Las Vegas crime is Valley wide.

Summerlin is a district of Clark County and there is no Summerlin City Council, nor a Summerlin PD, or Summerlin Fire Dept. Just as there is not the alike in Green Valley, Spring Valley, Paradise, Winchester, Enterprise, Anthem, Seven Hills, or Centennial Hills; get my point?

In the Vegas Valley we basically have one Police Department overseeing a Valley of at least six small cities. We have one of the largest school districts in the nation for a metropolitain area that ranks much smaller in size. It does not make much sense.

For whatever reason, there seems to be an unwillingness to create boundries and incorporate cities within the Las Vegas Valley. Until we do, "good areas" like Summerlin will continue to fall under the blanket of a police department spread to thin.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:50 AM

15,756 posts, read 33,444,916 times
Las Vegas and Denver crime are about the same. I don't know a source for Torontos numbers. Las Vegas is about the middle for cities above 100K.

There are three cities in the Las Vegas Valley. The City of Las Vegas, The City of Henderson and the City of North Las Vegas. There is also Boulder City which is in the County of Clark but not actually in the Las Vegas Valley.

Summerlin is in the City of Las Vegas in the northern part and in Clark County in the southern part.

There are three police forces in the Valley. These are Metro, which covers the City of Las Vegas and unincorporated Clark County, Henderson and North Las Vegas. Boulder City also has its own police force.

Further cities are not created because the residents of Clark County are either happy with the municipal government they have or prefer the more permissive style of the county to a municipal government.

Crime in Henderson and Summerlin is generally quite low. The area in which the Vistas is located has crime at a level that would be considered excellent in any US city. There is crime everywhere...but it is very low in the Vistas.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:13 AM

24 posts, read 99,413 times
OLECAPT please don't get get me wrong i am not saying that Toronto is some kind of gift wrapped in a big red ribbon,if it was that great i wouldn't be spending every awaking moment of my existence over the last 3 yrs trying to get F*ck out of there.I am trying like the "Dickens" to find a good place in the states to relocate and thanks to city-data i have been able to spear myself some heartbreaking disappointments by relocating in areas witch i only had a image off base solely on misconceptions.So far i have narrowed down to 2 places Denver is my hart's desire but the water issues for the southwest might scared off me to the Portland ME area though.However to give you a sample of the crime situation between our 2 countries,i will give you this anecdote.Back in 1990 i lived in Vancouver B.C. and i believe that it was the 1st yr of those ridiculous"best city..." B.S. Magasines and Seattle at that time was the top of the heap.The reason for this butt crack licking on Seattle was because it was ranked as the safest city in the U.S.,best place to raise a family,best quality of life,blah,blah but here is the kicker!
Vancouver within the Canadian context along with Toronto and Montreal are the 3 booggy mans of the canadian cities,they are considered to be dangerous,immoral,sleazy and totally undesirable cities to raise a family blah blah blah.Well The FBI northwestern office conducted a study about crime in the northwest quadrant in '90 and the result was that in Seattle you had a 5 TIMES MORE CHANCES RATIO OF GETTING SHOT THAN "NEXT DOOR" IN CANADA'S "SIN CITY" Vancouver!!! Nevertheless OLE Denver might have the same crime rate as LV but in Denver(and Toronto)the areas like SUMMERLIN are better protected and safer that similar areas in LV seems to me old chum!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:03 AM

15,756 posts, read 33,444,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUMBER 6 View Post
OLECAPT please don't get get me wrong i am not saying that Toronto is some kind of gift wrapped in a big red ribbon,if it was that great i wouldn't be spending every awaking moment of my existence over the last 3 yrs trying to get F*ck out of there.I am trying like the "Dickens" to find a good place in the states to relocate and thanks to city-data i have been able to spear myself some heartbreaking disappointments by relocating in areas witch i only had a image off base solely on misconceptions.So far i have narrowed down to 2 places Denver is my hart's desire but the water issues for the southwest might scared off me to the Portland ME area though.However to give you a sample of the crime situation between our 2 countries,i will give you this anecdote.Back in 1990 i lived in Vancouver B.C. and i believe that it was the 1st yr of those ridiculous"best city..." B.S. Magasines and Seattle at that time was the top of the heap.The reason for this butt crack licking on Seattle was because it was ranked as the safest city in the U.S.,best place to raise a family,best quality of life,blah,blah but here is the kicker!
Vancouver within the Canadian context along with Toronto and Montreal are the 3 booggy mans of the canadian cities,they are considered to be dangerous,immoral,sleazy and totally undesirable cities to raise a family blah blah blah.Well The FBI northwestern office conducted a study about crime in the northwest quadrant in '90 and the result was that in Seattle you had a 5 TIMES MORE CHANCES RATIO OF GETTING SHOT THAN "NEXT DOOR" IN CANADA'S "SIN CITY" Vancouver!!! Nevertheless OLE Denver might have the same crime rate as LV but in Denver(and Toronto)the areas like SUMMERLIN are better protected and safer that similar areas in LV seems to me old chum!
I think you are wasting your time. You will find that crime is about the same in Denver, Vancouver, Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Murder rates are considerable higher in the US cities the Canadian cities make it up in other violent crimes.

The middle class and upper middle class suburbs of all are about the same. The Vistas, regardless of what some of the residents think, is pretty much as good as it gets in a US or Canadian City.

There are certainly safer places. All smaller and more rural.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,224,930 times
Crime is everywhere unfortunately. As Capt said, LV is not really any worse than other Metro areas by and large

Old 08-28-2007, 10:11 AM

818 posts, read 3,395,488 times
Once you give up the ridiculous notion that you can live in a crime-free zone in any city, you'll be better off. The suburbs will have lower crime, but there will still be crime. Do what you can to make yourself feel safe, such as get a dog, an alarm or a gated community.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:36 AM

12 posts, read 31,083 times
I am soon moving to Vegas from a very rural area of SC........ and we are not crime free here any longer. Meth has swept through the rural south and these tweekers are theiving and car jackin people way out in the country. While it might be quiet at your country home......... it will also be quiet at your neighbors house; cause they won't be able to hear your screams for help.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:31 AM

1,749 posts, read 7,682,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahvw View Post
I am soon moving to Vegas from a very rural area of SC........ and we are not crime free here any longer. Meth has swept through the rural south and these tweekers are theiving and car jackin people way out in the country. While it might be quiet at your country home......... it will also be quiet at your neighbors house; cause they won't be able to hear your screams for help.
You'll feel right at home in Vegas. The meth plague has been in full swing for 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or