Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 05:36 AM

53 posts, read 99,739 times

Advertisements

I work at a restaurant on the strip, and am somewhat new to the industry (a little over 1 year). Frequently some of the other employees who have a much greater deal of experience working in F&B would comment about how they would not expect much of a tip from European parties sat in their section and I asked what the deal was...

Not sure if this is true, but two of the biggest reasons I was given are:

1) They are used to the tips being added automatically to the bill and are simply not aware of the differences between where they're from and how the whole tipping thing works here in Vegas/U.S.A.

2) Same as above, but factor in the fact that it's actually insulting (from the point of view of the servers/crew) when guests leave additional money, as it's interpreted as a sign of "I'm better than you" superiority.

Not sure exactly how accurate this actually is, but that's my understanding thus far. I can confirm, however, that typically non-American born foreigners are MUCH less likely to tip well relative to U.S. residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 06:31 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan41cn View Post
I work at a restaurant on the strip, and am somewhat new to the industry (a little over 1 year). Frequently some of the other employees who have a much greater deal of experience working in F&B would comment about how they would not expect much of a tip from European parties sat in their section and I asked what the deal was...

Not sure if this is true, but two of the biggest reasons I was given are:

1) They are used to the tips being added automatically to the bill and are simply not aware of the differences between where they're from and how the whole tipping thing works here in Vegas/U.S.A.

2) Same as above, but factor in the fact that it's actually insulting (from the point of view of the servers/crew) when guests leave additional money, as it's interpreted as a sign of "I'm better than you" superiority.

Not sure exactly how accurate this actually is, but that's my understanding thus far. I can confirm, however, that typically non-American born foreigners are MUCH less likely to tip well relative to U.S. residents.
kinda.

yes, in many countries it has been considered insulting to leave money on the table.

however, foreigners' knowledge of american culture is astoundingly deep and they understand the way we do things.

in fact, they normally grin eat to ear when they see Americans entering their eaterie because they know we will leave cash money on the table...and who refuses that.

sometimes its ok to play to stereotypes...

Old 11-30-2011, 07:57 AM

25 posts, read 23,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
kinda.

yes, in many countries it has been considered insulting to leave money on the table.

however, foreigners' knowledge of american culture is astoundingly deep and they understand the way we do things.

in fact, they normally grin eat to ear when they see Americans entering their eaterie because they know we will leave cash money on the table...and who refuses that.

sometimes its ok to play to stereotypes...

In MANY COUNTRIES yes tipping is not necessary because the employees get salary. But in the USA it's a different story and none should act DUMB or silly
by pretending to be ignorant people be them foreigners or native born Americans, yes BLACK Americans included that think eating out at FULL service restaurants don't require proper tipping etiquette.

Don't give anyone argument about race, income level etc., can't afford to leave at least 15% tip at full service restaurants bills in the USA, don't EAT THERE, period.

Eat fast food, self service outlets or else.

Shame on ignorant cheapskates, because they are the ones that are usually to most demanding customers usually.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:04 AM

412 posts, read 915,954 times
I'm sure many tipped employees want to hold onto the method of pay instead of getting paid more by their employer because it allows them to get away with not reporting their true income to the IRS. They can report any amount that sounds plausible as their tipped income.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:04 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry888 View Post
In MANY COUNTRIES yes tipping is not necessary because the employees get salary. But in the USA it's a different story and none should act DUMB or silly
by pretending to be ignorant people be them foreigners or native born Americans, yes BLACK Americans included that think eating out at FULL service restaurants don't require proper tipping etiquette.

Don't give anyone argument about race, income level etc., can't afford to leave at least 15% tip at full service restaurants bills in the USA, don't EAT THERE, period.

Eat fast food, self service outlets or else.

Shame on ignorant cheapskates, because they are the ones that are usually to most demanding customers usually.
I think this goes for any and all Americans. Not just black Americans. I know more Asian and Native American people that will never leave a tip compared to some Mexican friends/co-workers that will leave at least 30% plus tip. Maybe its just where you live.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:54 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan41cn View Post
I can confirm, however, that typically non-American born foreigners are MUCH less likely to tip well relative to U.S. residents.
So how well do the American born foreigners tip? As well as American born Americans?

Sincerely,
An American born "foreigner" who won't be tipping you more than 15% when you serve me because your bigotry is so evident. Last time I ate out I did leave $100 on a $400 bill for two at a fine dining restaurant because there were so few patrons and we received so much attention from our server.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:54 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,325 times
This whole thread is disturbing.

Unfortunately, those in the service industry are unable to grasp the larger dynamics at play here.

I empathize with those who are at the mercy of other's genriousity to earn their livelihood. I refuse to put myself in such a position. Perhaps you should too,

It's not my fault that you have opted not to develop a skill set and must thrust your hand out asking for money even when not deserved.

I used to work as a bus boy.

What annoys me is is when people know that you have money simply expect you to hand it over and if you don't they label you cheap. I would rather be called cheap then be broke I guess.

15% is the most I will ever tip again.

That being said, I have noticed that certain types of people don't always observe proper tipping etiquette--whatever that is. But many times these threads don't hold true.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:20 PM

85 posts, read 189,233 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, those in the service industry are unable to grasp the larger dynamics at play here.

I empathize with those who are at the mercy of other's genriousity to earn their livelihood. I refuse to put myself in such a position. Perhaps you should too,

It's not my fault that you have opted not to develop a skill set and must thrust your hand out asking for money even when not deserved.

What annoys me is is when people know that you have money simply expect you to hand it over and if you don't they label you cheap. I would rather be called cheap then be broke I guess.

That being said, I have noticed that certain types of people don't always observe proper tipping etiquette--whatever that is. But many times these threads don't hold true.
I find it disturbing that you look down at people who have a job with a different pay structure then you.

I'm not stating that you always have to tip (especially for bad / miserable service) or how much.... but you make it sound like employees that rely on tips are on welfare or something along those lines.

"Unfortunately, those in the service industry are unable to grasp the larger dynamics at play here."

So... I guess the whole system should be changed up, prices for everybody should rise because you don't like to feel obligated that you have to tip? You do not have to tip anything if you don't like the service.... I've been known to tip 1% to 100%... in the same restaurant depending on the server. I like having that choice that is explained more below.

As for your "skill-set" comment.... you would be really surprised how many tipped employees in Las Vegas have degrees.

I paid my way through UNLV with a job that relied on tips and even stayed with that job for a couple of years after finishing. I was making some really good money with that job (minimum wage + tips) for a job that was a lot of fun and got to personally meet some really fascinating people. (Celebrities, CEO's, etc..)

And I also got to meet some of the celebrity A-Holes that look down on people.... and I'm not calling them A-holes just because they did not tip.

And I certainly met more then a few A-holes that had the "I am better then You" mentality because they were in a certain profession.

As they say.... you can always tell the true nature of a person by how they treat the hired help.

And then I went into management.... what a drain that was. Went from a fun job to one not so much fun. (But I got to wear a suit... Whooo Hoooo!)

Tip whatever you want.... and that's coming from somebody who once had a job that relied on tips. The fact of the matter is though.... the current system is designed the way it is and it keeps prices lower.

A dynamic you don't seem to understand... Just because you don't like feeling obligated to tip.

If you get bad service... tip little to nothing. The bad service industry workers get weeded out of the business and maybe they'll go get a "skill-set" that better fits them.... such as sitting behind a computer all day.

Reward the good ones.... The service industry is an art that is not for everybody.

Certainly my opinion but the tipping system results in better service for everybody.

But never.... ever look down on somebody just because they have a service industry job that relies on tips to make a living.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:27 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
I was really hoping this thread would just be servers and bartenders posting their experiences.

I've come to the conclusion that whenever a thread about tipping pops up, tightwads universally latch onto it as a way to justify their skinflint ways, and disparage hard-working members of the service industry.

We've got more tipped employees per capita than any other major city in the world. And yet there's always got to be "that guy" who refuses to get with the program.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:41 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:

Damn thats cold. But the truth which a lot of people cant handle.

I used to be a bus boy myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: