Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:43 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
These happen every several years...and they weren't localized per se, they had a swath from Charleston and the freeway south to Trop and way, way east. These were well documented and happened 9 and 8 years ago respectively. It's not like they happen every year or two but they happen. These are well documented.
Look..I was here...and was in fact flooded. I know exactly what the distributon of both those storms were and I don't need some jerk playing "I know better". I even have the charts with the rain gauge readings for the storms.

There was a good write up this AM in the RJ for those who are interested. The pattern is typical...the section of a tract near the drain catches the brunt of it. In the last big one a couple of isolated cul-de-sacs in Sun City Summerlin got it even though the rest of the place had no trouble.

I suggest people in a new tract...particularly the down slope corners, have flood insurance. After you have been through a couple of big ones you can drop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 11:40 AM

818 posts, read 3,698,255 times
Quote:
I don't need some jerk playing "I know better".
Kettle, meet Pot!

Old 08-30-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
Kettle, meet Pot!
Cheap shot...will return favor.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:32 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Look..I was here...and was in fact flooded. I know exactly what the distributon of both those storms were and I don't need some jerk playing "I know better". .
But you do it so well

So they don't happen or they do...which is it? Make up your mind.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
But you do it so well

So they don't happen or they do...which is it? Make up your mind.
Read what I wrote...

"
Look..I was here...and was in fact flooded. I know exactly what the distributon of both those storms were and I don't need some jerk playing "I know better". I even have the charts with the rain gauge readings for the storms.
"

You think I am claiming to have been flooded in a non-flood?

Old 09-03-2007, 06:55 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,824 times
You make it sound like a bad sprinkler until you decided to redirect:

Quote:
Flooding is relatively rare. It generally occurs in July,August,Sept and is mostly very local. What we get is a cloud burst that overwhelms the local drainage system....As a renter I would ignore it. These floods are very rare and over in an hour.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
You make it sound like a bad sprinkler until you decided to redirect:
Nonsense. Even the huge storm of August 19 lasted less than an hour. They are quick but quite dangerous. But other than a flood plain home they do not effect RE in a significant way.

If you were actually reading for content you would also discover I suggested even new home builders get flood insurance until they understand the local drainage. And if you get any significant water backup in a normal storm you should keep the flood insurance.

I try reasonably hard to put these things into a rational perspective. Partially to offset you doom sayer who completely and regularly over emphasis relatively minor problems.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:25 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Don't worry about any floods...it hardly ever happens. You chances are 1 in a gazillion that you would experience any damage due to the very rare flooding. Don't waste any money on flood insurance, since chances are nothing will happen to you. All areas are great and remember...it's the desert...things dry very quickly.

(Sheriff..ticket #003)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas