Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:11 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Evenrumplestiltskinister acts like this ONLY happens in Las Vegas.....GEEZZZZ guys get real......
It must be all the bright lights. It hypnotizes people to saw each other up.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:17 AM

787 posts, read 1,776,679 times
Here are a few recent headlines from Jersey City (where I moved away from). While this stuff clearly happens in Vegas, there's a lot less of it:

Jersey City List - St Peter's College Area: 18-year-old man and 32-year-old woman both shot in random shootings [Message Forum - Crime & Safety]

Jersey City List - Greenville NJCU area: Another Chinese restaurant delivery man beaten unconscious during robbery [Message Forum - Crime & Safety]

Jersey City List - Greenville: Felon stabbed in neck by wife after he attacked her with screwdriver [Message Forum - Crime & Safety]

Jersey City List - Heights: Blood splattered throughout apartment after man stabs two roommates for no apparent reason [Message Forum - Crime & Safety]

Jersey City List - Heights: Latin Kings Gangster- "King Megs" in Court for 2005 Murder outside Palisade Ave Barber Shop [Message Forum - Crime & Safety]

Jersey City List - NJCU Area / Greenville: Grandmother with Grandkids in her car shot up with 45-caliber bullets at 9pm [Message Forum - Crime & Safety]

Jersey City List - McGinley Square/Bergen Lafayette: Robber slashes teen boy's face [Message Forum - Crime & Safety]

The above is just a quick copy/paste of some of the news items that people happened to post to that particular board. And that's all recent stuff in the last couple weeks. ... Furthermore, Vegas has a population of 2,000,000. Jersey City is 250,000. Perspective, anyone??

Old 12-01-2011, 11:26 AM

I should also note that during the 2.5yrs I was in JC, there were 4 or 5 shootings within a couple blocks of my apartment, including 2 within half a block. It was all just kind-of accepted. I once overheard my landlord's 5yr-old daughter chatting with a friend of hers about such-and-such a shooting, etc... Pretty messed up.

The worst I've seen in my neighborhood here in Vegas is a kid who tossed an empty water bottle into a landscaped rosemary bush.

I'll also note that I paid 50% more for that apartment than my current mortgage in Vegas, and the place was 30% smaller than my house. And it was a good deal. Quality of life here in Vegas is incomparably better.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:46 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
Here are a few recent headlines from Jersey City (where I moved away from). While this stuff clearly happens in Vegas, there's a lot less of it:

Jersey City List - St Peter's College Area: 18-year-old man and 32-year-old woman both shot in random shootings [Message Forum - Crime & Safety]

Jersey City List - Greenville NJCU area: Another Chinese restaurant delivery man beaten unconscious during robbery [Message Forum - Crime & Safety]

Jersey City List - Greenville: Felon stabbed in neck by wife after he attacked her with screwdriver [Message Forum - Crime & Safety]

Jersey City List - Heights: Blood splattered throughout apartment after man stabs two roommates for no apparent reason [Message Forum - Crime & Safety]

Jersey City List - Heights: Latin Kings Gangster- "King Megs" in Court for 2005 Murder outside Palisade Ave Barber Shop [Message Forum - Crime & Safety]

Jersey City List - NJCU Area / Greenville: Grandmother with Grandkids in her car shot up with 45-caliber bullets at 9pm [Message Forum - Crime & Safety]

Jersey City List - McGinley Square/Bergen Lafayette: Robber slashes teen boy's face [Message Forum - Crime & Safety]

The above is just a quick copy/paste of some of the news items that people happened to post to that particular board. And that's all recent stuff in the last couple weeks. ... Furthermore, Vegas has a population of 2,000,000. Jersey City is 250,000. Perspective, anyone??
Some perspective...

While Jersey City only has a population of 250,000, an additional 10,000,000+ live within a 25-mile radius of it. Las Vegas still only has 2,000,000 in its 25-mile radius. Population density, rather than population would be a better indication.

Jersey City is approximately 25% White population; Las Vegas is approximately 70% White.

Given the density and population make-up, one would naturally expect more of these type incidents in Jersey City.

The Jersey City incidents copy-n-pasted occured over the last couple of weeks. The Las Vegas incidents posted were the last 3 days.

Coming from Jersey City....Las Vegas has to be like heaven to you.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Some perspective...

While Jersey City only has a population of 250,000, an additional 10,000,000+ live within a 25-mile radius of it. Las Vegas still only has 2,000,000 in its 25-mile radius. Population density, rather than population would be a better indication.
You and I like going data-for-data with each other, don't we? :-) Toward that end, let me add that Vegas gets 40M visitors per year, so that adds a big bump to how many people are actually in the valley at any given time.

But the bigger point is that your argument about the surrounding 10M people in JC is only valid if you're asserting that JC is the only place with lots of crime in that radius. Quite the contrary - as I'm sure you know, there are plenty of bad places within NYC-proper, as well as much of the rest of Hudson county NJ. And need I mention Newark? So, if I were to spend the time to gather some crime headlines for that whole area, the list of recent crimes would easily fall off the page...it would be staggeringly disproportionate to Vegas's list on a density basis.

Quote:

Jersey City is approximately 25% White population; Las Vegas is approximately 70% White.

Given the density and population make-up, one would naturally expect more of these type incidents in Jersey City.
True. Lots of NYC/Jersey violent crime is gang-related, if that's what you're getting at. Not sure that makes anything better. I was still always horrified at the quantity of *random* violent crime in JC, much of which was gang related directly, or just general thuggery (which gang-infested areas clearly create).

Quote:

The Jersey City incidents copy-n-pasted occured over the last couple of weeks. The Las Vegas incidents posted were the last 3 days.

Coming from Jersey City....Las Vegas has to be like heaven to you.
Yes, though I assume the reason why it got posted here as a new thread was because the concentration is atypical.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:44 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:
You and I like going data-for-data with each other, don't we? :-) Toward that end, let me add that Vegas gets 40M visitors per year, so that adds a big bump to how many people are actually in the valley at any given time.

But the bigger point is that your argument about the surrounding 10M people in JC is only valid if you're asserting that JC is the only place with lots of crime in that radius. Quite the contrary - as I'm sure you know, there are plenty of bad places within NYC-proper, as well as much of the rest of Hudson county NJ. And need I mention Newark? So, if I were to spend the time to gather some crime headlines for that whole area, the list of recent crimes would easily fall off the page...it would be staggeringly disproportionate to Vegas's list on a density basis.
Good point, and I agree. But maybe we should also agree that comparing Jersey City to Las Vegas is like trying to compare oranges to bulldozers?

Quote:
True. Lots of NYC/Jersey violent crime is gang-related, if that's what you're getting at. Not sure that makes anything better. I was still always horrified at the quantity of *random* violent crime in JC, much of which was gang related directly, or just general thuggery (which gang-infested areas clearly create)..
exactly where I was going.

Quote:
Yes, though I assume the reason why it got posted here as a new thread was because the concentration is atypical.
We all know that I'm no fan of Las Vegas trying to sell itself as something it isn't. But truly (and just maybe in my mind only?), and not just for the sake of knocking LV, it really does seem to attract some seedy segments of society on a larger scale than most cities.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:19 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,764,096 times
Truly sad...

Elderly man dies after beaten near shopping center, police say - Thursday, Dec. 1, 2011 | 4:03 p.m. - Las Vegas Sun

Old 12-02-2011, 08:21 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Yep that never happens ANYwhere but Las Vegas....

Old 12-02-2011, 08:52 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Yep that never happens ANYwhere but Las Vegas....
...but these news stories are pretty exclusive to Vegas only.

Woman hits $12.7 million Megabucks jackpot at CityCenter's Aria - Friday, Jan. 21, 2011 | 10:03 p.m. - Las Vegas Sun
Stow man, a former Kent State student, hits jackpot with World Series of Poker victory | cleveland.com
11-11-11 Jackpot hit at 11:11 a.m. in Las Vegas - www.ktnv.com

Old 12-02-2011, 09:01 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Hell, that happened here last year. For statistics sake: population about 1/2 million.

The silliness of pointing out crimes and crime rates is staggering. Having an ulterior motive is obvious. Sensible people get a chuckle out of the transparency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: