Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:36 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
As I have said before, it is not the articles you posted that is the problem. It is the fact that you live in Pittsburgh and you're trying to convince us that it is somehow a better a place to live than Las Vegas. It isn't, not even close. You're not going to win here, so just let it go.
These articles are part of a series on the declining middle class if you would read them the PG has been doing for 2 weeks. I never even said Vegas was worse than Pittsburgh; to each their own (the economic comparions are facts so don't use those).

Last edited by observer53; 12-06-2011 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: deleted personal comments

Old 12-04-2011, 07:51 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,096 times
I have a family friend that moved from the Pittsburg area to the Las Vegas area. According to them, the only thing good about Pittsburg is the Steelers and they were glad to move out of the area.

To the OP: The locals in the forum like living here even with all the problems Clark County has, we still like it here. I personally do not look at all the negativity, but I always sway towards positive things. Any negative comments are going to put the "guard up position". This thread will be closed soon due to personal attacks so it is pointless to try discuss it further.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:04 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,763,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
...the only thing good about Pittsburg is the Steelers
...The locals in the forum like living here even with all the problems Clark County has, we still like it here.
Three thumbs up!!!

At last! Somebody else get's it! You can live here (in Vegas) and be content but that does NOT preclude one from poking fun at it's shortcomings. The people who knee-jerk react to every single post that does not match their narrow view of life are totally irrelevant (as far as I am concerned). They love to (cyber) bully and tell people to go away, you know why? One word... insecure.

I do disagree however about the Steelers, did you watch the Superbowl last year? They stink!

Old 12-04-2011, 08:21 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
There were two (three but the other isn't specific with Las Vegas per say) about the housing bubble, the bust, and how it relates to the decline in the middle class in America.

Las Vegas is ground zero for America's housing collapse

Hispanics especially vulnerable in Las Vegas housing crisis

These were surprising to read considering absolutely nothing like this has happened in the Pittsburgh area. In fact, there was an article in the Pittsburgh Tribune Review about how 14% of the jobs that were created in October were in Western Pennsylvania which I think is stunning.
Other than the fact that everyone else in America has known for at least three years now about how Las Vegas was hit hardest of any other city by the real estate crash, it was a fairly concise, well written story. I'll even forgive the writer's mistakes that show they don't know the area (two fairly glaring mistakes in the first two sentences), because they probably used it as an excuse to take a Las Vegas vacation, and we like for people to spend money here. But keep in mind that for decades just about any story written in an out-of-state paper has been pure fantasy, and an attempt to make our hometown look as bad as possible. That's why feathers get ruffled. You wouldn't know that, of course, but you did sort of step in it.

As far as nothing like that happening in Pittsburgh, it has been national news nearly every day since the crash that although we have been hit hardest, real estate in the whole country has had this problem. I know a little about Pittsburgh since I was born and raised 90 miles south of there, and have many Pittsburgh friends. Pittsburgh did make a remarkable comeback from it's own crash when the steel mills all went belly up. But the reason you aren't experiencing such a drastic RE crash is that your real estate never boomed in the first place.

Is Pittsburgh a nice town? It is if you live there and never lived anyplace else. Many of the people I know on the west coast from Pittsburgh say the same things that the posters here say about it, so it comes from former residents that it is way too cold, and IMO, way to old and dirty looking. But then that's nearly every town in the northeast. In some ways that's the charm of many of them, but once you get used to a city like Las Vegas, you get too spoiled to ever want to live in any place in the northeast.

I know how proud Pittsburgh natives are, and I admire that. But there are better places to live ...and there is just no better place in this country to live than Las Vegas.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Hypocrisy at its best....
One of those didn't even mention Las Vegas and the other one was a fact. You can't be attacking somewhere based on a fact. Apparently you can't see the difference between facts and bashing a city.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 12-04-2011 at 09:11 PM..

Old 12-04-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I have a family friend that moved from the Pittsburg area to the Las Vegas area. According to them, the only thing good about Pittsburg is the Steelers and they were glad to move out of the area.

To the OP: The locals in the forum like living here even with all the problems Clark County has, we still like it here. I personally do not look at all the negativity, but I always sway towards positive things. Any negative comments are going to put the "guard up position". This thread will be closed soon due to personal attacks so it is pointless to try discuss it further.
I understand you like it there and that's fine. I like where I live too. I thought maybe some people would want to read articles about Vegas from a different city on a series about the middle class. I was using facts about Vegas and the issues not "hating" on an area and I will get defensive if someone decides to bring out the *hitsburgh bull just because I'm from there where they have never even been here.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:31 PM

579 posts, read 997,545 times
He posted articles about people that paid way too much for their homes and banks that do not care. This is news? The articles were not unique, nor were they written by anyone with any grasp of the city. It appears the OP fits into this category too. [mod cut-- personal attacks]
If you bought a house in 2005-2007 then life sucks. There is blame everywhere. People knew how much their mortgage would be but yet some have walked away anyway when they could pay it because it turned out to be a bad investment. The banks were making stupid loans and disguising them as investment grade bonds. It is an old story and I am not sure how these articles are even relevant anymore.

Last edited by observer53; 12-06-2011 at 01:16 PM..

Old 12-04-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVPoker1 View Post
He posted articles about people that paid way too much for their homes and banks that do not care. This is news? The articles were not unique, nor were they written by anyone with any grasp of the city. It appears the OP fits into this category too. Leave him alone and he will move on.

If you bought a house in 2005-2007 then life sucks. There is blame everywhere. People knew how much their mortgage would be but yet some have walked away anyway when they could pay it because it turned out to be a bad investment. The banks were making stupid loans and disguising them as investment grade bonds. It is an old story and I am not sure how these articles are even relevant anymore.
These articles were written today and I wanted to share them. We share articles that are written about our area from different areas on the Pittsburgh forum. There is a 474 page part 2 on the Real Estate problems on this forum so it is ongoing.

Last edited by observer53; 12-06-2011 at 01:17 PM..

Old 12-05-2011, 12:57 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
This would make me angry too...

"The banks said 'You can have a loan because you have a good credit score -- we don't care that you don't have any income.' And now, that very same bank, when we go down to try to fix this in mediation, says, 'I'm sorry but we've got very strict federal guidelines' that he doesn't qualify for -- bull----, where were your federal guidelines when you approved this guy? You didn't care then, but now you care?"
I kept hearing this a lot before I moved to Vegas.

Quote:
"At the time," he said, "everybody said prices will keep going up, and eventually they'll plateau, but they'll never come down -- that's what everybody said."

Read more: Las Vegas is ground zero for America's housing collapse

Anyway...

I got military orders to Las Vegas and got pretty excited. Still am. If I were to get orders to P
ittsburgh, Im sure I would be depressed. Yes, I would make best of it but I would not be happy at all.

Last edited by von949; 12-05-2011 at 01:15 AM..

Old 12-05-2011, 04:12 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Ask any Clevelander or Pittsburger that lives in Vegas if they would EVER go back.. more than likely the answer will be hell no except to visit.
They'll be singing a different tune when the city runs out of water and their vinyl McMansion melts in the sun..

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 12-05-2011 at 04:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: