Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 02:30 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,539 times

Advertisements

Im trying to find a supermarket thats not as low brow as walmart, but not as up itself as whole foods. If anyone has ever been to or lived in Florida there is a place called Publix that has a wide variety of healthy fresh food and some not so common items that might show up on a weekend recipe. Is Smith's the equivalent? I could go there of course, but thought I would ask the board.

Last edited by demoknite; 12-06-2011 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,177 times
Fresh & Easy grocery store is what you are looking for. Smiths is comparable to Publix but not all that much better than Walmart and more expensive.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:42 PM

579 posts, read 997,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS1212 View Post
Fresh & Easy grocery store is what you are looking for. Smiths is comparable to Publix but not all that much better than Walmart and more expensive.
I second this, although Von's is probably more like Publix than Smith's are. Smith's is Kroger, Von's is Safeway if that helps.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:47 PM

137 posts, read 221,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvpoker1 View Post
i second this, although von's is probably more like publix than smith's are. Smith's is kroger, von's is safeway if that helps.
+1

Old 12-06-2011, 03:53 PM

383 posts, read 901,078 times
If you are anywhere near Glazier's it is well worth it for the meat, deli, seafood and produce. They advertise all their specials online. I go once every couple of weeks to stock up on what ever chicken and steak they are offering on special. The produce is always cheap and they always have a couple types of Boar's Head lunch meats on special. They carry everything else you would need althoug I find their dry goods to be a bit expensive. If you are looking for any specifice sauces or ethnic foods they usually have it and carry tons of East Coast items.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:55 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
Im trying to find a supermarket thats not as low brow as walmart.
The only rule I live by is to not buy my clothes where I buy my food. As far as grocery items are concerned I dont care who shops there as long as they have what I want at good prices.

That said, for staples WalMart is fine, but I find Food4Less cheaper with a better selection.

Produce and meats at both leave a lot to be desired though.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:36 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Also, try Trader Joe's. I like it for certain items.

Trader Joe's

Old 12-06-2011, 04:44 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costaricageorge View Post
If you are anywhere near Glazier's it is well worth it for the meat, deli, seafood and produce. They advertise all their specials online. I go once every couple of weeks to stock up on what ever chicken and steak they are offering on special. The produce is always cheap and they always have a couple types of Boar's Head lunch meats on special. They carry everything else you would need althoug I find their dry goods to be a bit expensive. If you are looking for any specifice sauces or ethnic foods they usually have it and carry tons of East Coast items.
I love Glaciers but i'm on the other side of the valley... so like you, ill go every once and awhile. I went last week, no real specials on the Boar's Head meats to speak of but I did get TBone at $6 a lb and a CASE of Perrier water liters for $5.88 which is unbelievable. $1.99 per bottle at Walmart.

It will be interesting to see what Win Co foods is like. I don't know when they are opening yet but the building is huge.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:11 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
The only rule I live by is to not buy my clothes where I buy my food. As far as grocery items are concerned I dont care who shops there as long as they have what I want at good prices.

That said, for staples WalMart is fine, but I find Food4Less cheaper with a better selection.

Produce and meats at both leave a lot to be desired though.
I didnt mean that to come off as full of myself, but, for example, the wal marts near me only offer tyson chicken which if you read the label has extra stuff added into it like water and some phosphates. Or just different variations of American cheese with all sorts of additives. They dont even have American versions of Euro cheeses. I was looking for somewhere that offers just chicken that's not whole foods. In my opinion, Wal Mart offers a whole lot of nothing. Nothing against anyone who shops or works there. They do offer some good things, but food is not one of them.
Im not concerned with price. Im trying to get away from the "most food for the least money" and get into the "the best food for a reasonable amount of money".

Old 12-06-2011, 05:19 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
I will not rate these in any order. Just an address, phone, website, and what they specialize in. I will include my shopping experiences in these stores, but it is just my opinion.

Market 168

3459 S Jones Blvd (Chinatown)
Las Vegas, NV 89146
(702) 363-5168
no website

This is my go-to pan-Asian grocery. This is also my go-to for fish. It is my opinion that this store sells the best fish in town. They certainly sell the best lobsters -- fairly cheap (I usually buy four-pounders for $8 per pound). Shrimp, crabs and clams are sold live at reasonable prices. In addition, there are usually 20 varieties of whole fish for sale. Walk a little past the fish counter for pre-portioned fish for sushi -- always reasonably priced, but probably frozen at one time.

In the meat department, this store has one of the better selections of tripe and offal. But I would not shop here for steaks or chicken -- there are better stores for "normal" cuts of meat.

They also have a good produce section which includes the usual assortment of sprouts, ginger, fruits, lemongrass and even durian. "Normal" vegetables like onions and potatoes are better purchased at the Latin markets.

There is a nice little on-site lunch counter that sells excellent duck and noodles. They have recently added a bakery. I haven't tried it.

ALSO -- In this same plaza is Jones Market and Deli -- the largest Russian Market in town. Good caviar at shocking prices, the cheapest gourmet coffee in town, and a dozen excellent cheap beers. Also excellent bread.

Nearby is the largest Halal meat Market -- 6020 Spring Mountain Rd

International Marketplace

5000 S Decatur Blvd (near Chinatown)
Las Vegas, NV 89118
(702) 889-2888

My favorite Market in all Las Vegas. They sell all ethnic specialties. Mentally running down the aisles, there are sections for: Moroccan, North African, Lebanese, Turkish, Greek, Italian, German, Eastern European, British, Scandinavian, South East Asian, Chinese and Japanese. There is a smattering of other cultures stuff tucked away -- often in odd places. For instance, Dutch foods are in the Indonesian section (because it was once a colony, and there are more Indonesians than Dutch in Las Vegas).

They also have an excellent fish department, decent produce, and a frozen food section in the center of the store that is worth a VERY LONG look.

This is where I buy bones for marrow and for stock. They also have all manner of tripe and offal. Just as good as 168 Market, perhaps better.

This place is unparalleled in their depth of Asian snack foods. I sometimes shop here JUST for the Japanese crispy snacks -- Pretz, Pocky, chips, you name it. I love this place for the snacks. The fact I can buy a Cornish pastie and garnish it with Thomy mustard in a toothpaste tube is icing on the cake.

But beware -- there are some real dogs here. The lamb is almost always freezer burnt. They'll sell frozen crab so old it resembles a mummified Discovery Channel subject. Also, read the ingredients on sausages, as much of it is loaded with MSG. Most meats and sausages can be purchased at Village Meat and Deli, fresh, for the same price.

And beware -- this is a "membership" store. Prices are 10% more unless the shopper purchases a $10 yearly membership. Seeing as I don't walk through the doors without expecting to spend at least a C-note, no big deal.

There is a nice little hole-in-the-wall Chinese lunch stand attached to the Market, selling Hong Kong comfort food, cheap.

Village Meat and Wine
5025 S Eastern Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89119
(702) 736-7575
Village Meat and Wine

This is the place for USDA prime beef. I'll save a few bucks on Rib-Eye purchasing Prime at Costco occasionally. But if I want a prime cut for carpaccio, or wagyu or even Kobe, this is where I go. They also have the best sausages in town -- made fresh on site. Why they don't make rillets or confit, I don't know. So I wouldn't call them a proper charcutiere. I wish they would get rid of the wines and cigars and devote themselves to snouts and livers.

This is also where I buy my Minor's base, Devonshire cream, horseradish and truffles. They have a lot of other stuff there, but I can usually find better prices.

Molto Vegas Farmer's Market

7485 Dean Martin Drive Suite #106
Las Vegas, NV, 89139

Thursday only 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. (non-trade not allowed to shop until 11 a.m.)

This is hit-or-miss. When this little outpost for California farmers is on, it's ON. But sometimes there's not a lot of variety, pretty much as expected for a farmer's market. Prices are no bargain, but who can blame the vendors -- who drive 200 to 500 miles one-way to sell here every Thursday.

This is another venue that I hope takes off. It's good to get the fresh California produce here, if only two hours a week.

Valley Cheese and Wine
1770 W Horizon Ridge Pkwy
Suite 110
Henderson, NV 89012
(702) 341-8191
www.valleycheeseandwine.com

I would call this place first before driving here. I don't shop here often. But when I do, I'm usually the only person in the store. I'm always afraid I'm going to pull in and they're going to be shuttered. I do hope this store hangs on.

This is the only place in Las Vegas to buy real Iberian jamon. It's expensive, but who cares? It's cheaper than a plane ticket to Spain. Also some interesting balsamics, oils and pastas. But I rarely buy, because I can do much better on the Internet. I really, really, really want to shop here more often, because I love what they sell. But most of their non-perishables are so expensive, I cannot bring myself to buy them.

Aladdin Market
Ste 6, 1775 East Tropicana Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89119-6556
(702) 262-0000
www.aladdinmarketvegas.com

A nice North African and pan-Arab market. I shop here often.

Cafe Heidelberg

610 E Sahara Ave, Ste 2
Las Vegas, NV 89104
(702) 731-5310

A small selection of good German sausages, cheese and bread. Worth a stop if you're on Sahara anyway.

The Latin markets
Google the store name to find the closest

The main Latin markets are named Marketon (formerly King Ranch), Mercado Pueblo, El Super and Liberio. They are almost interchangeable. Although it's better to find one that proudly proclaims it's a tortilleria -- the chips and tortillas will be fresher that way.

King Ranch and Liberio have the best produce sections -- and great prices. For instance, I routinely get 10 pounds of potatoes for $1. Similar prices on onions, garlic and limes. These stores put out a flier every Wednesday advertising ridiculously low prices on some staple item for one day only. I pay close attention to these fliers.

The American Supermarkets

Google the store name to find the closest

I'm partial to Smith's supermarket. For me, at least, Smith's seems to the best best bang for the buck on the sorts of things I tend to buy.

Other supermarkets:

Food 4 Less -- they seem to sell more packaged food and less fresh. At least near my house. I rarely shop here.

Albertson's -- Just too damned expensive.

Fresh & Easy -- Why, why, why didn't UK-based Tesco simply open up a chain of Tescos in America? I love Tesco. I hate Fresh & Easy. It makes Albertson's look reasonable, and doesn't sell any of the foods I loved when I shop at Tesco.

Costco and Sam's Club -- I prefer Costco to Sam's, so that's the membership card in my pocket. I buy the following at Costco:

* Coffee (They are currently selling 3 pounds of whole-bean Rwandan for less than $5 a pound)
* USDA Prime Ribeyes -- when I like the marbling, I spend the $10/pound for the prime
* Farm raised steelhead trout -- I prefer it to farm raised salmon. I make gravlax with it.
* Mussels -- if the sell-by date is far off and they don't smell like anything.
* Some produce
* Parmesan cheese, pine nuts and pistachios

Smart & Final is the local restaurant supply store. This is a good place to pick up a wet-packed beef tenderloin, a big pot of dijon mustard, 10-pounds of frozen chicken wings and other bulk items.

I always buy plastic wrap and aluminum foil here. I cannot abide paying grocery-store prices for tin-foil.

Whole Foods

100 S. Green Valley Pkwy
Henderson, NV 89052
(702) 361-8183
There are three others -- South, Northwest and Summerlin. Google them.

I think most people should know the inventory and prices of a Whole Foods. While "great value" and "Whole Foods" is largely contradictory, there are some items in Las Vegas where they're the best bang for the buck such as:

Bulk grains and rices -- particularly arborio and sushi rice
Proscuitto and panchetta
Specialty dairy, such as my beloved Delitia butter

They're also #2 for quality meats, behind Village Meat and Wine. They have a better beer selection than most local liquor stores.

Wine, however, is best purchased at...

Trader Joe's
2716 N Green Valley Pkwy
Henderson, NV 89014
(702) 433-6773

Decatur and Summerlin locations, too. Google them.

Again, people here should probably know what Joe's sells. I shop here primarily for wine. I buy almost no food here because I can get the same stuff for less elsewhere/

SF Las Vegas Supermarket
4801 Spring Mountain Road
Las Vegas, NV 89102
(702) 221-8788

This used to be an Albertson's. And the easiest way to find it is to look for the Big Lots! store next door. The only western letters on the large building read Truong Phan (or is it Truong Phat? I don't remember.)

This store is larger and brighter than any of the other Las Vegas Asian markets. There is also more room in between the aisles. It's more like an American supermarket in that respect.

The produce department is smaller than 168 Market, but the prices and quality are a little better -- at least today when I bought bok choy and sprouts.

The fish department is smaller than 168 as well -- and no convenient sashimi packages. For instance, when I went to 168 this morning, in the live tank section, they were offering two grades of dungeness, king crab, lobster, shrimp, a dozen species of fish, three types of clams and oysters. The live section of SF had half the variety, but the exact same prices.

Where SF shines is the non-perishables. They have a huge snack aisle, an entire aisle devoted to tea, and another just for spices. Prices are the same as 168 and International Market, or a little less.

Based on this initial experience, SF market will be added to my usual rotation.

Jones market and Deli
3389 S Jones Boulevard
Las Vegas, NV 89146
(702) 367-4345

This place really deserves more info than I gave it earlier.

This is a Russian and Eastern European Market, with a smattering of Greek stuff thrown in for good measure.

Excellent bread and lavash can be had here for very little money. A good Russian brown bread will set you back three dollars. They also sell Lithuanian 82%-fat butter to go along with the bread. There is a nice selection of 500ml Russian, Polish and Slovakian beers for $2 each. I always buy a few on my way out.

There is a good assortment of phyllo, yogurt and goat's milk products here. As mentioned earlier, if you have the dosh, this place has beluga caviar. They also carry osetra and salmon roe, along with some Russian and Greek caviar spreads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas